Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 23:37:38 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DHM 10b in car. Lots of space, ported or DB? (Read 4025 times)
Parker
Verified Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

DHM 10b in car. Lots of space, ported or DB?
11/24/08 at 22:41:14

I think I'm going to do a single decware 10 in my friends car. He has plenty of trunk space and isn't really concerned about the weight.

I built a DB a while ago but never directly compared it to a ported box. Then again I only loaded it with an old rockford I had laying around, never had anything sensitive in it.  

Just thinking a larger ported box would do better than a DB. I could make it nearly any size I want (up to 4 cubes probably).

Any thoughts. DB's are pretty sweet given the size but it seems like you'd get more by using both sides of the cone.

Anyone play around with a decware 10 in various boxes, (home or car) what were your experiences.

Looking for best SQ possible with high efficiency.

Thanks,

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Re: DHM 10b in car. Lots of space, ported or DB?
Reply #1 - 12/20/08 at 15:46:46

Sorry I missed this earlier.

It really depends on your goals. If you want the most SPL out of the sub, a larger ported box will give you more. I have designed a box for 10" subs which gives pretty good SQ along with a lot of SPL that is about the same size as the typical vented enclosure, but with a tapered port that gives it just a little more pass band and a bit less of the "one note' effect that most ported boxes tend to exhibit.

It is nowhere close to the DB in SQ and the speaker sounds excellent in a sealed box as well, but you lose a touch of SPL going that route.

Just depends on how important the SQ factor is. You may find the car isn't friendly to the larger enclosure and tends to be very one notish, or you may find it totally agrees with it.

What kind of car is it? How much power are you putting on it?

Those questions along with a detailed explanation of the goal will help tell you what will work best.

From my own experience, the DB is awesome for it's size. You can also do a regular 4th order BP with this sub and get good results in a slightly smaller or larger enclosure. (mine is smaller). The DB gives you more flexibility which is why my friends car has the tapered port design. It is still very loud and very efficient. Give us some more details and lets see what we can come up with,

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
Parker
Verified Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 12/22/08 at 06:56:42

Hello Robert,

Wow, I thought this post got lost long ago.

Thanks for chiming in.

2004 VW Jetta with trunk. Large blow thru at least 9x14" already cut out.

I was thinking of also just doing a jumbo size DB. That guy that did them with the MTX's said it was sweet. Maybe I'll just make the rear chamber bigger and keep everything else the same.

That way I could slug the rear chamber or just chop it down if it didn't work.

Yes, SQ is the ultimate goal. SPL is very distant, not a bass head.

Probably getting 500 watts to it by JL 500/1

Maybe we'll go whole hog and make a full baffle to the blow thru and take the trunk out of the equation all together. Now that's forward thinkin!

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #3 - 12/22/08 at 12:56:20

If you have the patience to baffle the sub and seal the trunk, it sounds awesome.

Two of the best SQ cars I ever did or even heard were IB trunks. One was the Blues audio thunderchicken and the other was an 85 Monte Carlo we did. Lots of work, but well worth the effort. SPL was high enough for most even with an IB set up. Of course, you have lots of options.

Let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out.

Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print