Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 13:09:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CSP2 with remote volume control (Read 14893 times)
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

CSP2 with remote volume control
11/16/08 at 03:39:37

As some forum readers might remember, I was for several years the happy owner of a Camelot Uther DAC.  Aside from the great sound, the Uther was a full featured control center which allowed remote control of the volume and channel balance in the analog domain.  Being able to "dial in" the volume from the listening chair is a very handy (and even addictive) feature .....

I am quite content with my current Decware ZCD player ..... but the one thing I really, really miss is the remote volume control.  Steve has made remote volume control an option for the ZCD, but I decided that I would prefer the remote volume control from the CSP2 preamp ..... which would also allow me to control the volume of a (soon to be purchased) FM tuner that will feed the second input of the CSP2.

As it would happen, I have an old Rotel Surround Sound Processor that was kindly given to me by the friend who built my SO Imperials.  This Rotel unit has a remote motorized volume control.

Parker Audio Dave came up with a scheme to use this Rotel unit in a way that would give me a high quality remote volume for the CSP2.
We wanted to have a high quality potentiometer and found a highly regarded TKD motorized potentiometer in the Michael Percy catalog.

Dave used the wireless circuitry in the Rotel to drive the TKD pot which was mounted on the CSP2 .....

We will "pretty it up" later ..... but the setup works wonderfully and I am now able to perfectly dial in the volume from my listening chair.  The TKD is one very fine potentiometer.

While we were at it, we also installed on the ZCD player a 100K Alps Black Beauty pot that I had in my parts stash.

After a discussion with Steve, it seemed like a very good idea to have a variable output on the ZCD ..... and there is no question that there is a "sweet spot" as to the input voltage that the CSP2 is receiving from the ZCD.  I'm still having a hard time believing what a positive improvement this has made.

Bottom line ..... I am one very happy camper as I sit in my listening chair and tap the volume control until the lead vocalist assumes a 3-D perspective in the middle of my listening room .....

Three cheers for Caintuck Engineering .....

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: CSP2 with remote volume control
Reply #1 - 11/16/08 at 05:33:45

I know one thing... your desk is way too clean.

Steve  ;)

WWW   IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #2 - 11/17/08 at 02:38:15

Howdy Steve,

Yeah ..... while I was going through my medical treatments and taking the time off from work, I got busy and did some long overdue cleaning up of my listening room (where my computer desk also resides).

I must say that your decision to put a variable output on all current production ZCDs is a minor stroke of genius.  It allows a "friendly interface" for the wide variety of pre-amps and power amps that the player might be used with.  It makes a HUGE difference with the CSP2 for sure.

Thanks again for the suggestion .....

Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 11/17/08 at 10:46:43

Yes, I'm going to have to send mine back for that output option, I find the current output of the ZCD to be way too high for the CSP2!

Nice work Randy and Dave!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #4 - 11/17/08 at 21:18:09

Hi Lon,

Indeed ..... it sounds like you and I and Steve are all hearing the same thing.

The ZCD has a totally different sound with the reduced output ..... and it allows me to get into the "meaty" range of the TKD motorized potentiometer.  Everything sounds more "relaxed" while still keeping the excellent tonality, dynamics and detail .....

Good stuff .....

Randy  

WWW   IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/18/08 at 14:23:48

Now, if we could just get Steve to add this remote deal to his bag of tricks. Wink

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #6 - 11/18/08 at 16:37:57

Howdy DPC,

Steve does offer the remote volume option in the ZCD and said that the ZCD is the only chassis that will accommodate the motorized remote potentiometer ..... it will not fit in the CSP2 chassis.  The photo of my CSP2 bears this out .....

He did say, however, that it could be placed in a separate chassis.  I would have probably gone for this, but hated the thought of yet another set of cables and connectors in the loop .....

A quote from Steve says :

"We can also as it turns out install a variable output via remote control using a motorized ALPS 100K stereo pot. The knob is located on the rear of the unit above the stock output jacks. No other place to put it - but it’s remote control eye is located on the face of the CD player so it really doesn’t matter. The remote for the volume control also features a soft mute button. Keep in mind that you would have two remotes, the standard one for the CD player and a separate one for the volume control. (Note: you could program a single universal remote with both controls if having two remotes is a problem.) This option adds $320.00 and an additional pair of variable output jacks in addition to the fixed outputs."

I'm not sure what the price difference would be for the remote volume control in a separate chassis ..... but I'm sure that Steve would provide a quote if requested .....

Randy      

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #7 - 11/20/08 at 20:09:26

Awesome Dave & Randy, grabbing that wireless Rotel circuitry, walahhh with remote can do.

Anyway, I new you had to be missing your volume control via remote wand to your Uther DAC. I could not be without mine to my 3.0 via remote. Even though in the digital domain it is still so great. I have variable voltage output too and is one of the reasons I can drive my Select so successfully and palpable. Lon will most likely solve his issue with the variable output from his ZCD.

Cheers, Happy Thanksgiving, enjoy a good Winter Ale all, and Happy Listening!  Stone of Tone

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 11/21/08 at 01:02:03

Nah, Lon is not a remote control audio guy.  He'll keep getting up and down to adjust volume. It's a key part of his exercise program! Smiley (Well, that and walking four to five miles a day!)

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #9 - 11/21/08 at 13:32:50

Heck! Your retired, you don't need no stinkin' remote control!  ;D.  Exercise is key too, enjoy.  Especially all those cool toys to enjoy as well. The NAD & Sony ES Blu Ray...... .

Cheers, Stone of Tone

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 11/21/08 at 15:09:44

Yeah, the NAD is sleeping until I send the the ZCD back for mods.  

My biggest "toy" lately is the beautiful Anadina.  ;)  She's no toy, but she's incredibly fun to play with!

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #11 - 11/21/08 at 16:34:51

Quote:
Lon will most likely solve his issue with the variable output from his ZCD.

I'm thinking the same .....

After spending some time experimenting with the variable output on the ZCD, it's amazing as to how many different "voicings" that are available.  It can sound very laid back and mellow, very "up front" at the full output setting ..... or anywhere in between .....

I can see this coming in very handy for a lot of potential buyers considering the wide range of input sensitivities for various power amplifiers and preamps.

Randy  

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print