Imperials

Corner horns started
10/15/08 at 16:07:40

Got my MDF.
Got my 1 gal can of Bondo.
Got my disk sander.
Got my wood glue and nail gun.
Got my dust mask.

I'm not even going to try and figure out / cut the complex angles to perfection, I'm just going to cut and sand until it fits and then use Bondo where it didn't fit as well as it should have.

I hope to get the two cabinets playing by Sunday, pictures will be forth coming.

I'm building everything to spec except I'm moving a brace to gain an additional 3/4" behind the speaker and then sliding the front baffle board back 3/4" so it can be wider.  The result will be that an 8" driver will fit.  I'll try a 6.5" driver first, but I want to have the option of using an 8" driver if I want to.

Dan

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Re: Corner horns started
Reply #1 - 10/16/08 at 18:27:50

Heres the first set of pics.  Note that in pic 2 the two large V shaped pieces are not attached, they are just positioned to test the fit.

Dan

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #2 - 10/19/08 at 20:04:32

Here's a few more pics.  Unfortunately I didn't get them running by Sunday.  Everything seems to take longer than I expect these days.  Unfortunately things are going to slow down even more as I will not have as much time to spend on them in the next couple weeks.

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/20/08 at 11:55:42

I have heard the originals and I predict your efforts are going to be worth every bit of effort.  Thanks for the pictures.

IP Logged
Valiant

Reply #4 - 10/22/08 at 13:24:29

Stunning work as usual Dank. Good luck and Good cutting.
Cheers
Gaz

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #5 - 10/25/08 at 19:48:49

More pics.  This completed the major pieces.  The corner horns have a reputation for being hard to build.  They really weren't that bad... no worse than an Imperial.  I have most of my Bondo left, but I'm running a little low on glue.   Smiley

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #6 - 10/26/08 at 18:20:34

Got them playing today.  They are loaded with Audio Nirvana Super 8's.  How do they sound?  That's a tough one.  They aren't as loud as I expected and I'm not sure why that is.  I'm running my brand new SE84CDIY that I'm not very familiar with so I switched back to my solid state gear and cranked up the volume (and the bass).   They really make some good bass, and you can tell its effortless bass...the speaker isn't working all that hard to make a lot of bass.

I wasn't really all that "blown away" by them, so I switched over to a set of open baffles that I'd been listening to lately - and I've liked a lot.  The OB's sounded like crap compared to the corner horns.

I see now that the speakers point out of the corner at a 45 degree angle, which I guess I knew all along, but what that means is that if the corner horns are 16 feet apart (that's what my back wall is, 16 feet) then the "sweet spot" will be only 8 feet away from that wall!  When I moved my listening chair up to that distance, yes indeed, there's the wonderful imaging I was expecting.  Steve's listening room most have the corner horns quite a bit more than 16' apart.

I did try the corner horn as a sub.  Holy Cow! Quite amazing.  This will probably toke some more investigation.  If I can get that kind of bass out of a full range speaker that's not designed specifically for bass, I wonder what will happen with a different speaker.  Certainly a sub is worth a try, but also perhaps just a plain old classic high efficiency woofer would do some amazing things.

Now I'll probably have to spring for some Fostex, or better yet the DFR65's.

Dan

IP Logged
buzz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/26/08 at 18:30:19

My AN speakers took weeks to loosen up in the bottom end. Your surrounds look brand new... give them some time with SS break-in.  P.S. Cool build! Cool

IP Logged
Valiant

Reply #8 - 10/27/08 at 12:54:23

Hey Dan, did you get to sell your Imperials?

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #9 - 10/27/08 at 15:59:51

Valiant

Still have the Imperials, still looking for someone who will give them a good home.

After last nights listening session, I might be looking to get rid of some other gear too (Voice of the Theaters come to mind) as I don't think I've ever been quite so moved as I was by the corner horns.  It might be the new speaker syndrome, but last night I heard things I've never heard before.  Every time I got up to leave I'd sit back down for "just a few more songs",  I couldn't make myself stop listening.  And its not just about the bass either...those cabinets do something to the mids and highs that aren't suppose to be in the frequency range that the horns work on.  Something that makes them image better, and fill the room up with music better (I believe that's called a "wider sound stage").  Quite amazing.

Dank

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #10 - 10/28/08 at 06:54:53

Cool work, Dank,

Thx for posting so many cool pics.

I badly wanted to attempt the corner horns, but didn't have proper corners to install them.

Instead I built the Ron Clarke Austins (which blow me away on a daily basis and I've heard a buncha speakers)

The DFR65's are incredible! Highly recommended!

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
wild_6_99
Verified Member

Corner horns X 4=
awesome

Reply #11 - 11/04/08 at 23:58:45

nice build  
quick way of assembly too- good idea with the flat front baffle pieces(wings)
if i did the baffle your way would have saved me some time,   but done is done
i now have 1 pair in high gloss white car paint -looks mint
the other is still in dull latex waterbase

nice job:)

if u keep them in the garage i may suggest some absorption  looks like alot of reflective surfaces

cheers  
ull enjoy them for as long as you have freinds to help ya move them Wink

wild_6_99   IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #12 - 12/03/08 at 15:02:00

Added subs.  5 cubic feet ported boxes with a single 15" Dayton speaker (one is a Series II the other is their "classic woofer") firing into the corners.  Corner horns are flipped so they can sit on the subs and have the speakers at ear level when sitting in a chair.  Moved around so they are now on the 24' wall rather than on the 16' wall.  This puts the "sweet spot" about 12' back.  - Dan

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #13 - 04/24/12 at 14:57:52

Just got through modifying my corner horns.  I built them slightly modified to begin with so they would take an 8" driver.  Here is an old picture with an 8" Audio Nirvana driver.

Over the coarse of time these got flipped over and raised up so a ported sub box fits underneath.  There is one in each corner.

So, I thought I'd take a hint from the Imperial, which uses two similar but different speakers.  And also take a hint from my own personal experience in that when 2 different speakers are playing at the same time the sound seems fuller, more preferable to me, although less focused and doesn't image as well.   I removed the 8" driver, flipped the baffle board around, and added two 6.5" drivers.  One is an Audio Nirvana and the other a Dayton PS180-8.

How do they sound?  Hot, full, focused.  They image beautifully, really fill the room with sound, and after a week of break in, the hot-ness has been tempered a bit.    Overall, a very nice improvement.

Dan

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #14 - 04/27/13 at 02:39:25

A very long time ago, I built a set of Speakerlab corner horns. I had no idea what I was getting into, but at the time, I had plenty of shop equipment and help. In my case I didn't care for the midrange horn that they chose, but the bass is something with a horn that I will never forget. These horns look very cool, and I get the bite to try them some day. But you are right about all the perverse angles, they are a bitch!

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print