Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 08:05:22 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DECFEST 2008 LIVE BROADCAST (Read 1402 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

DECFEST 2008 LIVE BROADCAST
10/02/08 at 15:13:58

https://www.decware.com/audio-blogs/

Check the link above for information about the feed.  Ask your questions here!

Thanks,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: DECFEST 2008 LIVE BROADCAST
Reply #1 - 10/03/08 at 16:02:43

After a successful test last night, the audio feed is extraordinarily good.  

As a reminder of events;  Friday (today) at noon the fest starts with a free-for-all where anyone can listen to anything they want, Decware gear or not.  

Saturday will focus on Decware gear only, and or it's compatibility with other gear - probably both.

New product that will be presented are the new Radials, RL-4 and RL-5 that replace all prior versions.  These will likely dominate the afternoon.  Saturday night I will be demoing the Zen Open Baffle Array that I've been writing about all year, that should be fun.

Sunday will wind down with another free-for-all day where anything goes.

The weather is perfect and the only thing that could make it any better around here is more sleep!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
buzz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/03/08 at 19:50:17

I wish I was there...  :'(

Someone give us a rundown of the equipment you are using, please.

I see some oak three way speakers, a Heil air motion driver on top? Are those Parker products? Dave KNOWS about those Heils...

Jealous! BTW where is the VINYL you guys ????!!! Even on the vid-feed we can tell it is digital. You drove all that way to listen to bits and pieces of music? Why not listen to the whole thing?  ;)

-buzz

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 10/04/08 at 20:24:23

At some point yesterday, the firewire link to the mixer dropped and the audio feed defaulted to the camera microphone.  Sorry about that.  We have the audio feed coming from the mixer now and don't expect any further issues.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Zenfire
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/04/08 at 23:13:31

hi Steve and All, it is Steve Hinkey, and out in Virginia today, or I'd be there.  Sounds great online, and it would be great if you could put up a white board that tells us what Amp, Speakers, Source we are listening to.

Also I would love to hear the original Zen with a set of bookshelf speakers, and the lowest price floor models, along with the next step up price-wise in amps....

It is 6:12 PM eastern here now, and I have to duck out around 7:30.  Then back tomorrow after noon.

Look forward to buying Monday!

Cheers, Steve

IP Logged
Audio Addict
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 10/05/08 at 00:52:47

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #6 - 10/05/08 at 01:13:14

I just returned from the "Wool Fest" ..... a yearly local homespun fair that features food, crafts and exhibits of local livestock ..... including sheep as you might guess from the name ......

Unfortunately, it takes place every year on exactly the same weekend as the DecFest ..... and Mrs. Randy is hacked off every year that I don't attend it with her.  Well ..... she got her wish this year.  It was nice, and I enjoyed spending time with Mrs. Randy ..... but my heart was at the DecFest.

I am currently sitting at my computer enjoying the audio / video feed from the 'Fest .....

Thanks Steve .....

Best wishes to all,

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
CRESCENDOPOWER
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 10/05/08 at 02:56:20

What was the name of those little brown floorstanding 2 ways at 8:40 pm? Thanks!

3 way with a ribbon?
You are playing them at 11:10 pm also? Smiley

IP Logged
buzz
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/05/08 at 03:57:17

The open baffle speakers sounded great Steve!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #9 - 10/06/08 at 23:14:06

Other than the goof up Friday night and Saturday morning when the audio feed reset itself to the camera microphones (junk) I was very impressed with how well the broadcast went!

My main concern when setting it up was of course the audio quality and whether or not it really could communicate the differences in sound between components.  I thought it did, but we have really high bandwidth internet connections being and internet business of sorts, so you'll have to tell me how well it accomplished this goal on your end.

If the response is good, I am considering doing it some more.  I could for example pair up gear on your request, explain it and demo it.

Details to be hashed out would include, best time of day, best day of week, pros and cons of doing it live vs. creating huge windows media files for download.

Sound interesting?

For next years broadcast I am considering a white board or possibly live narration when appropriate to make sure those viewing know what model amp and speakers are being listened to.

We sent out aprox 10 Gig of data which translates to over 8000 minutes of broadcast between 400 views averaging 15 minutes per view.  The total cost was lower than expected  :)

I would be curious to know how many people listened to it through decent to high quality headphones and how many listened to it by hooking it up to their stereos.  (I would rather not know how many people used their computer speakers Roll Eyes)

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #10 - 10/06/08 at 23:59:54

Steve: Just me, or was it not available to Mac OS's ?
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 10/07/08 at 00:37:54

I listened on my computer speakers Smiley

I was quite suprised how good the audio was.  I was getting a consistant 312Kb/sec feed(I'm on a 20MB/sec line).  

I've always wanted to attend, but never had enough time to do it.  

John C.  

IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/07/08 at 02:18:58

I listened on my computer speaks, Fostex Fe107s in sealed boxes.
Sounded quite good.
I also enjoyed those that didn't know, didn't care, or forgot there were "others" in the room listening.

Lin Smiley

IP Logged
Audio Addict
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 10/07/08 at 03:20:57

I listened on and off on Saturday and Sunday through the DAC on my Xonar soundcard through a Hornet portable amp with Grado SR125 and it sound pretty good.

IP Logged
buzz
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 10/07/08 at 05:56:53

I listened Via Mac Airport Express analog out tied to my main system, and via DT880 headphone for a while. I had no issues with my mac, but connection was difficult at peak times. I saved what I viewed to listen again later.

Different mastering / recording quality was easily heard. I enjoyed comparing the disks made from vinyl masters to digital mastered disks, AND all your insightful comments... in fact your comments got even MORE INSIGHTFUL the more beers you had   ;D THANKS GUYS! It was a blast listening in!

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #15 - 10/07/08 at 15:30:36

I was connected for about 4 hours Saturday night and for about 1 1/2 hours on Sunday ..... no problem through my DSL link.

My computer speakers are not the best or the worst in the world ..... but it was not hard to hear a difference between the speakers that were in use at the 'Fest .....

Thanks again Steve for making it possible for me to "attend" .....

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Zenfire
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 10/07/08 at 15:45:55

I loved it too, and I have no idea about how to connect a computer to audiophile speakers, so I listened through my horrible Apple MacBook speakers, thinking I would run get my B&O headphones, yet the terrible speakers let me hear just how awesome the Decware is...so I stayed with it.

I suggest a permanent podcast episode edited down to include several amp and speaker combos, the CD player versus the box added to any brand CD, turntable versus CD, etc.  that is all handled in a nice tight 10-20 minutes.  

And also a new webpage dedicated as to how to set up an audiophile listening set-up for computers.

Thank you!

Steve Hinkey Shocked

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print