Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 16:39:09 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dayton Titanic MkII Subwoofer 4 Ohm (Read 8709 times)
cavernut
Ex Member

Dayton Titanic MkII Subwoofer 4 Ohm
09/23/08 at 02:38:32

I am about to build the WO, i have already built a House Wrecker with good success. The thing is am thinking of changing is the driver.

I am looking at A 10" Titanic MkII Subwoofer 4 Ohm
Here are the specs:

Impedance = 4 ohms
Re = 3.3 Ohms
Le (mH) = 2.67
Fs (Hz) = 29.6
Qms = 7.34
Qes = 0.47
Qts = 0.44
Mms (g) = 156.1
Cms (mm/N) = 0.19
Sd (cm2) = 330.1
Vd (liters) = 617.2
BL  (Tm) = 14.25
Vas (liters) = 28.33
Xmax (mm) = 18.7
VC Diameter (mm) = 64
SPL (db @ 1W/1m) = 85.0
RMS Power Handling (W) = 400
Usable Frequency Range (Hz) = 28 - 400

The PDF file for the Dayton Driver is:
http://partsexpress.com/pdf/TIT280C-4_specsheet.pdf

You people are the experts and know how to crunch these numbers. Can anyone please tell me whether or not i would be better off using the recommended speaker over this one. I am really into the construction aspect but i am not sure what all the specs really mean. (Please keep that a secret, because i do consider my self an audiophile) Thanks for any help you may provide in advance.

Thank You,
Michael Foy

IP Logged
BIG GEOFF
Ex Member

Re: Dayton Titanic MkII Subwoofer 4 Ohm
Reply #1 - 11/05/08 at 17:13:58

Michael,
Last year when i built mine the guys here recommended those drivers.  Very powerful apparantly.  You can't go wrong

Geoff

IP Logged
bigrdub
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/20/12 at 06:36:34

The best advice I can give with choosing any sub is x max = to low note spl, your sensativity is your ability to turn current into sound and rms is the thermal limits of the speaker, I personally look at the x max and balance that with the highest sensativity and power handaling for instance driver a has an x max of 20mm a sensativity of 88db and 400w rms driver b has x max of 16mm sensativity of 91db and 200w rms and driver c has x max of 30mm sensativity of 82db and 1000 watts rms, I would choose speaker a because it is well rounded although speaker b may be a louder at 200w speaker a should be able to play louder given more power, speaker c is probobly cappable of high spl at low tones but takes a lot of power to reach the same output so won't be as loud at the same 200w as speaker b but given enough power will most likley out perform a and b, I also look at the frequency responce and try to get the driver that plays as low as possible so if one claims 20 to 1000 range and one clams 12 to 150 and one claims 35 to 500hz I'm going to lean towards the one that claims 20 or 12 over the 35hz dropoff, but it depends on personal taste really and how much power your throwing at it

IP Logged
cavernut
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/20/12 at 23:24:40

Thanks for that info bigrdub... I am actually throwing about 1,700 watts at it, give or take.. I have a big ass QSC amp in bridged mono..I an using a Samson S active crossover and a Samson S Curve 31 band EQ between my pre amp & amp, this gives me a lot of flexibility and the ability to change things on the fly... WHen you change from Reel to Reel, to CD, to Records, to MP3 to FLAC there is major differences in bandwidth and you do need to adjust your cutoff, delay and notch filtering, but all in all these subs do kick ass.. I actually haven't used it for several years and moved it into a different system a few days ago... I forgot how much kick this monster had...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print