Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 12:56:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Zen'r with a question. (Read 5948 times)
Amplidude
Ex Member

New Zen'r with a question.
09/01/08 at 11:13:04

Hello people.
My name is Glenn, I live in Australia. I have just received 2 DIY kits with the intention of building a pair of monoblocks.
My question is, comparing the schematics of the DIY with the SE84c I notice that the DIY employs a Cathode resistor bypass capacitor and the SE84c did not. What is the advantage in this circuit? Should I experiment with and without or has Steve found that the bypass improves sound?
Any comments would be appreciated.

Glenn.

IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Re: New Zen'r with a question.
Reply #1 - 09/06/08 at 13:23:51

bump^

anyone?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 09/06/08 at 21:57:12

Both amps use a cathode bypass cap.  You'll find it sounds a lot better with it.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Amplidude
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/08/08 at 12:12:08

Thanks for your reply Steve.
I will admit that I have been loitering around your site and forums for many years now and the schematic I have is probably an older one.
You have been an inspiration to me and your enthusiasm for tubes is what got me started with them. Since seeing your site in about 2002 I have absorbed your every word and studied other sources until I was confident in building my first tube amp, a EL84 P-P. But I have always wanted to build your Zen and now is the time. I intend to build my own chassis, wire point to point and possibly use 5U4 rectification.
Thanks again and your new site looks great.

Glenn.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print