Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 00:49:14 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why is my Select making odd sounds on start up.... (Read 12598 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Why is my Select making odd sounds on start up....
08/28/08 at 01:30:00

Steve, my CS is making scratching sounds on the left side channel only.  I have tried 3 other pair of tubes and the same noise persists.  The Amp runs/sounds great otherwise. However, like Gexter I am concerned.....he solved his problem by changing the SV83's out - I was not so lucky. Do I need to try and change my driver 6922 & Rectifier?  The 6922 and 5U4G are new as of May 4th and seem fine.

I should add, this 3rd pair has settled in. I am not hearing any scratching.  I guess I grabed two pair (or two left channel) tubes that have low specs.  This issue was new to me.  For the last 7 years & 4 months I have never had a tube failure of any sort (lucky) and the Amp is bullet proof.

Please chime in-Stone of Tone

Concerned-Stone of Tone

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Why is my Select making odd sounds on start up....
Reply #1 - 08/28/08 at 21:14:07

Absolutely change the 6922 in the front end.  That's the only way you'll know if that's the problem.  Also wouldn't hurt to clean your input jacks and tube sockets.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #2 - 08/29/08 at 02:49:37

Hi Steve, I replaced the 6922 and still have a little scratchy-ness on startup/warmup.  I then changed the 5U4G too-and still had a little scratchy-ness on warm up as well.  But once warmed up even at the 15 minute mark all is mostly quiet.  I think as you suggested, the socket pins need a cleaning.  What contact solution do you recommend and how to apply?  Thanks in advance. I appreciate your input.  

Stone of Tone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #3 - 08/29/08 at 04:15:15

Never underestimate the ability of a slightly loose pin jack in the tube socket to cause mysteries just like this. One of the pin jacks could have loosened from a crooked tube pin, or maybe a dust mite crawled in there and died, who knows? Sometimes swapping tubes fixes it because there is some difference in pin straightness between the comparison tubes or some non-conductive deposit in just the right place somewhere.  

Before tightening the tube socket, I'd first clean both the socket and tube pins with Caig Deoxit, and then coat them with Caig Progold. When first cleaning with the Deoxit, it works extra-well to spray the stuff on and let it sit overnight before wiping off and applying the progold.

If that doesn't do it, then tighten the tube socket jacks. I do it with a sharp but smooth metal point like an oversize sewing needle while looking with a manifier glass. Make sure the amp is off a day or two as you can get a significant capacitor zap if you ground to something while doing it.

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #4 - 08/29/08 at 05:00:18

Thanks Karl, I bet after 7+ years of me not cleaning them....oxidation, dust & grime are the culprit. I will try this first and then tighten the sockets up if need be with my little German Eyeglass screwdriver.  I have some XLO TPC to use/should do the trick wiped well on the input pins of each tube.

Thanks again-Stone of Tone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/26/08 at 23:54:57

I would like to know how the cleaning works out
Maybe the tubes I was using just were a little oxidized. I did not use any contact cleaner and maybe I should have.

Best of luck and may a cheap fix prevail!

Gex

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #6 - 09/27/08 at 16:34:47

Gex, I used XLO TPC and it has improved the scratchy left channel noise upon start up. However, it still shows up now and then.  It does not effect the sound production of the Amp in my estimation. I could have a loose tube socket or an input tine is out of wack a little.  

I cleaned all tube sockets with TPC.  This TPC stuff is a little ruthless to the sound after initial cleaning.  However, after about 10 - 15 hours of burn in/burn off = back to glorious sound.

I am going to Decfest. I am going to email Steve and see if I can bring my amp with for him to look at. Plus, I have a loose speaker binding post.  B voltage scares me, so it would be best if Steve popped the hood and did a diagnotic check-up.  

Stone of Tone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/27/08 at 18:07:02

Although I expect Mr. Deckert might be a little busy during the Decfest I wanted to relate my recent experience with his repair policy.

I had issues with two Decware components and dropped by expecting to be leaving them for repair and picking them up at the Decfest.  Surprise, he had me fixed up within thirty min. and on my way.

I understand that most folks do not have the luxury of being able to make a trip to Peoria for this type of thing but my point is that Steve stands firmly behind his products.  Warranty service don't get any better than this.

dennis

thirteen valves glowing in Decware products as we speak.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #8 - 09/27/08 at 20:51:25

Great to hear this Dennis.  Steve and DeVon are top notch. I am bringing my original shipping box and packaging. Steve will be busy and I can have it shipped back to me at a later date if need be.

I love this Amp. I listen to it with a not so efficient pair of speakers too. But my Polks are sensitive enough (simple crossover & the ever important midrange crossed over at the right point) and my room size small and treated....to allow the incredible transparency of this amp to come thru at 78db avg. listening level; which has the preception of sounding louder than that.  I don't want to be a day without it.

If the first watt sucks - why continue?
Stone of Tone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/28/08 at 06:39:47

In my case the other tubes solved the problem but if the time comes available I might pop the hood as you say.

gex

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print