Send Topic Print
2008 DECFEST (Read 80648 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

2008 DECFEST
08/09/08 at 15:53:03

Well it's time to start planning for the 2008 Decfest here at Decware!

Here's a link to the info: https://www.decware.com/audio-blogs/

You can find pictures from last year on the link.

Consider this an attendance thread and general Q&A about the fest.  We'll monitor this thread until the fest to get an idea how many people will be attending.  Of course, the fest is for anyone, not just forum members so this thread will by no means be the last word on how many people will be here!

Looking forward to seeing everyone who can attend!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
stevef
Ex Member

Re: 2008 DECFEST
Reply #1 - 08/10/08 at 23:01:07

Sigh... Julie and I will not be able to attend this year.  What a bummer.  We will miss hanging out with old friends and meeting some new ones.  Not to mention things like new equipment, and music.  If you are "on the fence" about attending, please try to make it.  Steve, DeVon, and crew really do their best to make attendees feel like family.  

Steve

IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Reply #2 - 08/15/08 at 06:45:40

Hey, I can finally login to the new forum Smiley
You can count me in, I'm trying to get my brother to come out from Ct. so there may be two or us. Last year was a blast and I can hardly wait. see ya then.
John

VPI Scoutmaster, Grado Master3, Odyssey Candela Preamp and Suspiro phono preamp Counterpoint NP100 amp (modded by Altavista Audio), Goldenear Triton One speakers, CD240 CDP, Lots of room treatment. Anti-cable sp cables and IC, Decware IC, ZKit 1, ZDAC.
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #3 - 08/15/08 at 16:45:04

Deb and I will be there.  

And this year, after taking your free hospitality for 3 years now, I'm going to actually buy something!  Will an SE84CDIY be available?  Might as well pick it up when I'm there...

Dan

IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Reply #4 - 08/20/08 at 02:23:48

Steve,
 Last year I stayed at the Super 8 motel in East Peoria on Taylor Street. I see there is another super 8 in Washington,IL. on Washington Road. Is the on in Washington Ok to stay in? Is it closer to your location? It's cheaper by $40 so it makes me wonder.

VPI Scoutmaster, Grado Master3, Odyssey Candela Preamp and Suspiro phono preamp Counterpoint NP100 amp (modded by Altavista Audio), Goldenear Triton One speakers, CD240 CDP, Lots of room treatment. Anti-cable sp cables and IC, Decware IC, ZKit 1, ZDAC.
  IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/20/08 at 13:20:17

IME, East Peoria is $40. better and it's closer.
I've stayed at both.
dennis

IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Reply #6 - 08/22/08 at 03:33:00

Dennis,
Thanks for the reply. I will book my room tomorrow.
Is there any music anybody want's to hear. I have about 1000 albums and if I have it i will bring it. Mostly 70's 80's rock. I have a good selection of referance recordings, If you haven't heard these you need to.    

IP Logged
Audio Addict
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 08/24/08 at 17:43:41

Since I am only about an hour away, I will try and make it at least one of the days.  Which day should I try to shoot for?

IP Logged
chevelle
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/26/08 at 08:39:36

I will be there. I am looking forward to meeting condesending out of touch elitists who spend 600 dollars on power cords, much as I have met here before. A lot of lounchair "experts" that believe they find knowledge by how much they jerk off over their credit card.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 08/26/08 at 15:40:42

Heh heh heh, I'm sure they'd love to meet you too. . . . Wink

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #10 - 08/26/08 at 15:42:32

What an inspirational 1st post, Chevy! Sad
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #11 - 08/26/08 at 16:06:24

Howdy chevelle,

I'm afraid that you must have us confused with a different group of "condescending out of touch elitists" ..... the power cord that Decware sells is only $149.00 .....  ;)

Anyhow ..... I look forward to meeting you at the DecFest.  Hopefully, you will come away with a different opinion of what I consider a decidedly "down to earth" group of music lovers.

Best wishes,

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
dla405j

Reply #12 - 08/26/08 at 16:06:47

Chevelle's cheap shot is unsupported by the facts and my experience with Decware & Decfest....I attended last year and found just regular folks in a friendly and low-key environment.  I buy Decware because their products are very value-conscious and reliable.  No boutique products ....just great value and nice people too.  Anybody who has met Steve or visited his operation know that  he's a practical and knowledgeable designer who offers high-end audio at bargain prices.....I don't see any $600 power cords in his catalog but do see various kits , amps, tubes, that are quality made  and based on simple, good-sounding design....chevelle take your comments back and say your sorry or did you post on the wrong forum????

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #13 - 08/27/08 at 15:28:11

Well guys, it doesn't makes much sense to spend the money in gas to travel to DECFEST to meet a bunch of snobby audiophiles when you could go to CES...and actually find them so I think it's pretty obvious Chevelles comments were tongue & cheek.  :P

WWW   IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Reply #14 - 09/11/08 at 02:08:24

Hey Steve,
Will you have streaming video like last year? Maybe some steaming audio? Will you have your turn table set up?
John

IP Logged
davedutill
Seasoned Member

Time becomes
meaningless in the
face of creativity

Reply #15 - 09/11/08 at 03:24:24

Looking forward to this years DECFEST!!  It'll be here before we know it!  :)

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #16 - 09/12/08 at 00:11:25

Dave,

Looking forward to seeing you Randy, and the Yeagermeister. Sorry I missed you all at Ed's this year.

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
davedutill
Seasoned Member

Time becomes
meaningless in the
face of creativity

Reply #17 - 09/12/08 at 04:06:39

Hi Bob

I am definately looking forward to this years fest.  Nedd some R&R for sure.  I will most likely be coming in Thursday night.  If you and Steve need a hand with anything I'll be happy to help.

See you all soon  :)

Dave

IP Logged
MikeZ@turningpointaudio
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 09/23/08 at 17:46:23

Hopefully my first post will go over better than Chevelle's. I am going to try and make it this year. It has been 3-4 years since the first and last time I attended.

WWW   IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #19 - 09/23/08 at 23:00:25

Pasta,

I know you all right!!!  

Dave,
 Why does it sound like your comming alone....Is Randy not coming this year, that would be sad, you two have been at every Decfest there has been. Randy is what started it all in the first place.

ZYGI

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #20 - 09/24/08 at 00:06:45

Hi Bob,

It's sad, but true .....  :(

I have been dealing with a serious health problem for the past few months and will be in the middle of treatment during this year's DecFest.

The docs tell me that I will survive, but I'm in pretty rough shape right now and have missed the past two weeks of work ..... and the next few to come.  The situation came as quite a surprise ..... but, stuff happens.

The good news is that I am still enjoying music at home thanks to my Decware based audio system and will be in Peoria in spirit.

I hope to put this "bump in the road" behind me and see everyone at the 2009 DecFest.

I will be checking the forum threads as time and health permit .....  8-)

Best wishes to all ..... and have a great Fest,

Randy

WWW   IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #21 - 09/24/08 at 02:21:44

Randy,

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, and hope for a 100% recovery.  We will be thinking about you, and pray for your health.

Best wishes,
Bob

IP Logged
88-ranger
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 09/24/08 at 15:34:16

Edit: They called tonite and changed the date to Friday night.....so We will be getting in on Saturday....woohoo my favorite day!

Really Looking forward to this year.  Sure can't wait to hang out again.  Will miss some people(our thoughts are with you), but hopefully meet some others.......This is our third year, but will be a short one - Cry I have to DJ (with my Pro12's) Saturday night   Smiley so we will only be there thursday night, Friday and leave Saturday morning.

Dave

ps: I am the one with the 4 legged critics, and boy are they excited too!  

pps: My new convertible is rarin to go.....last year it was in the shop but now its DECFEST OR BUST!!!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23 - 09/24/08 at 16:38:13

Randy, so sorry to hear of this.  I have a strong feeling you are going to be just fine soon.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Reply #24 - 09/24/08 at 17:28:16

Randy,
  I was looking forward to hanging out with you and the rest of the guys.  I hope all goes well and you recover soon.  
Feel better
John

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #25 - 09/24/08 at 23:32:48

Randy: Best Wishes for a speedy recovery!
Don

(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Dirty_Dawg
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 09/25/08 at 05:38:39

That's rough, Randy.
Hope things work in your favor. I'm inclined to expect that they will.

Godspeed!

IP Logged
Dirty_Dawg
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 09/25/08 at 05:43:16

Can't make it again this year, guys.

I'm not far away, either. If I did not have to be at work at six AM on Saturday and five Am on Sunday, I'd be there with BOOTS ON.
Maybe another time.
Looking forward to the wrap-up posts.

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #28 - 09/25/08 at 20:41:50

I want to thank everyone for the kind thoughts and concerns .....  : )

I would ask that everyone possible attend the 2008 DecFest and have a great time.  Steve, DeVon and Bob work very hard every year to make this unique event a success.  All of those who have attended in the past know that the DecFest is so much more than a mere "promotional event" ..... it's a true labor of love provided by music lovers for music lovers.

If you have never attended, do yourself a big favor and meet all of the wonderful folks that make each year better than the last.

See you in '09 ......  

Randy

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #29 - 09/26/08 at 22:50:22

Randy, get well soon.  I'll never forget when I walked in on Decfest 2005 and you guys were listening to Miss Alison......very nice it was. Her and Plant are not to shabb as of late.  However, delaying the Zep Tour.  

Peace, Stone of Tone

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
DeVon
Verified Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #30 - 09/26/08 at 23:43:25

Ok, Im going grocery shopping this weekend.  If anyone knows they will make it but has not posted, now would be a good time to do so.  Of course there will be plenty of food and for sure it will taste scrumcious.  Im just tryin to get some idea of how many.

Randy....... I am soooo sad  :'(   Hope you are well soon, and you will stay in my prayers.  We'll send a guinness back with Dave for you.  Keep us posted.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 09/27/08 at 00:12:13

Randy!
Hey buddy I hope you get better soon. May your road to recovery be lightening fast, I will be thinking of you.

And Everyone going to Decfest have a great time, Lets face it with the company of people going and the gracious hosts how could you not.

Gex
Cheers!

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 09/27/08 at 03:44:51

You gonna make soup?

IP Logged
DeVon
Verified Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #33 - 09/27/08 at 07:03:00

I think I might be lynched if I didn't make soup.   Grin  Of course I am.  Tryin out a new meatball recipe too.

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 09/27/08 at 12:55:32

I'm in!  :D

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #35 - 09/27/08 at 14:03:36

Got to have the soup!  I'm coming on down DeVon. I will drive along the River as you suggested too.  Wow, it has been 3 years for me.

Stone of Tone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #36 - 09/27/08 at 16:45:01

Well, first off, Randy you have our prayers.  It will feel odd without you here.  

As you know last year I tried to set up a zen cam for the fest, it worked somewhat but what a process.  Funny how these new cams all lead to paying someone else to make them work for you...  In any case, I have purchased another one that will work in low light and have set it on a dedicated server here at the office with a static IP address.

Unlike last year, this year in addition to the video send, there will be a non-compressed CD quality stereo feed of the event!

I have set up a stereo array of professional microphones in the center of the listening room and am running them through the mixer from my old studio via fire wire to the dedicated server.  I will allow you to hear all the conversation and music in the room with a surprising degree of accuracy (sound quality).  For example, it will be easy to hear what all the gear sounds like (I've been testing that part) making VIRTUAL attendance truly possible.  

NOTE:  A good set of headphones plugged into your computer while you watch is doing a respectable job of letting you hear the respective differences between components.

I have set up the stream so that you can just click on the link and windows media player will open and play the stream.  I will post the link on Thursday night here in this thread.

Because of the huge bandwidth of the feed (since it has non-compressed CD quality audio) is a factor, I am pushing it to a large server that will have no issues sending the feed to as many people as want to watch it.   On that note, I expect this to horrifyingly expensive so it may not be repeated next year.  

I will be paying by the meg for the bandwidth so when you quit watching be sure to close your media player.  I will likely try to archive the whole event provided the hard drive on my server is big enough with the intension of making a couple DVD's so that people who want a copy of it can get one.

And Randy, I'll give you an alternate direct IP and port address to connect to my server (which costs me nothing) in the event we have to pull the broadcast off the web for monetary reasons.   Wink

On a different subject - I have the lower half of the listening room finished for this years fest.  All but the floor.  I plan to put cork flooring in for acoustic reasons, but need time with the new room to decided for sure so meanwhile I've just painted it and tossed a small area rug in there.  I'll post some pictures of it this weekend sometime.

REMEMBER, the fest starts Friday at noon and ends Sunday at 5:00 PM.
Do not arrive before this time.  Bob, Dave, Paul and possibly one other who I've been in contact with be arriving Thursday to help set things up.

NEW PRODUCT, there will some yes.  The long awaited replacement for the Radials model RL-1.5's will be making their debut.  Also it looks like my latest secret project is ready for this years fest.  It was a spontaneous idea we had one night for a new amplifier... I think it's going to stun quite a few people so I'm anxious to present it.

As I get things ready this week I may post some pictures.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #37 - 09/27/08 at 18:42:13

Great news for those of us who can't attend!
We'll at least be able to participate to some degree.
Thanks for making those efforts, Steve (et al)!
Don
quality products, and actually caring about your customers= a retailer worthy of support!

(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #38 - 09/27/08 at 19:11:00

Wow Steve, Friday morning when I turn the key in my Van can't come soon enough!

Stone of Tone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #39 - 09/29/08 at 18:27:28

The New Amp
The Replacement 1.5
6N2P in the I.2
The Listening Rooms
The Torii Mk II (in which the ease of transparency still haunts me since my visit in 2005)
Good food, good beer & good people

What do you SAY GUYS & GALS?
If your within a 6hr radius it is well worth the price of gas to make the trip. Heck, you can sleep in your Mini Van (like me). Don't forget your toothbrush, bottled water and cooler.  8-)

Stone of Tone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
DeVon
Verified Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #40 - 10/01/08 at 20:01:07

If anyone needs last minute instructions on how to get to our place, you can call this number:  309.669.7041.  This number is only for DECFEST questions, I guess you could call it the DECFEST hotline.  lol
Anyway, someone should be available on it Friday - Sunday.
Everyone have a safe trip and we will see you in a few days !!

IP Logged
Audio Addict
Verified Member

Reply #41 - 10/03/08 at 01:37:03

Hi

What time does everything start?  I am over in Bloomington and was going to try to come over Friday afternoon.  Also, in scanning the posts, I am not sure I know where to go.

Thanks.

IP Logged
DeVon
Verified Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #42 - 10/03/08 at 02:10:52

Hi,

Actually starts around noon on Friday, so anytime after that would be great.  I will pm the directions to you.

IP Logged
Audio Addict
Verified Member

Reply #43 - 10/03/08 at 03:18:42

Thanks.  I couldn't PM you back since I didn't have the minimum posts.

IP Logged
Audio Addict
Verified Member

Reply #44 - 10/03/08 at 03:22:57

You should set up a link on Head-Fi to your live link since you posted the notice over their.

IP Logged
Brett

Reply #45 - 10/04/08 at 05:37:39

Randy,

I shed a tear for you brother. Prayers be with you.

IP Logged
Audio Addict
Verified Member

Reply #46 - 10/04/08 at 12:44:05

I just wanted to say thanks to Steve and DeVon.   Had a great time chatting with everyone Friday.  Great bunch of people.  

IP Logged
stevef
Ex Member

Reply #47 - 10/05/08 at 16:14:45

We just learned of Randy's illness.  May you have a speedy & complete recovery.  Our prayers are with you.  

Steve & Julie

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #48 - 10/06/08 at 04:21:20

Hi Randy,

I'd always hoped (against hope) to be able to make it to a Decfest to meet you, but have never been able to get it together (due to timing and distance).

TERRIBLY terribly sorry to hear of your health difficulties, and hope they clear up like a rough patch in the road that is soon behind! Get well, dude, and hopefully we'll talk over a Guinness one day.

Cheers,
Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #49 - 10/07/08 at 02:42:51

Randy,

Just wanted to give you my best wishes in dealing with your health issues, I hope for as speedy and easy a recovery as possible.

Dave

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print