03/28/24 at 09:57:49 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Woofer Choice (Read 404 times)
LovesTha
Ex Member

Woofer Choice
08/01/08 at 01:35:20

I've been looking for a subwoofer box to build and the WO options are the first boxes I've really seen that have made me want to build them.  But living on the bottom of the world shipping for the DECWARE(tm) recommended drivers I'm assuming would be prohibitive, not even going to both asking how much it is.
So I need some help on what other drivers to use, been looking for things that I can source reasonable locally with a similar Fs as I believe that parameter to be critical for this style of box. (very open to people telling me that I'm wrong, I'd like to be)

Set up a quick google spread sheet with the data on the two best matches I've found so far, before I spend too much more time I'd love some interest on what parameters are the most important to approximate and such.
doc: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pNRSImGGmpAuNy7D_8qD4KQ

Input please.

IP Logged
LovesTha
Ex Member

Re: Woofer Choice
Reply #1 - 08/04/08 at 05:20:48

Ok done even more browsing, it appears I had failed to read any of the threads that discussed the driver parameters that matter. What I can't understand is: the recommended driver doesn't meet the description of what people should look for in a driver.  The ideal driver is meant to be: low fc, low qts, low Vas, low xmax.
But the driver recommended has a very high fc and qts, why the discrepancy?

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/04/08 at 13:59:40

A with a QTS around 34 give or take. I would not worry about lower and pretty comfortable with higher up to 40
Lower Vas a foot or foot and a half, give our take. if you find something at 2 it should still be pretty good
In a WO32 a large Xmax can be be bad because of the clearance in the corner depending on you mounting. The larger the Xmax the sloppier the bass. and you lose that tight fast precision your building the WO 32 for. The design damps the sub and your large Xmas is fighting against the design. If it was a WO for shear power thats another story.
I kinda really depends on what your building it for.
Its really not a. sub that has intense output. Its a good clean fast detailed sub that sneaks up on you with its detail and depth when your not paying attention.
Its my favorite design and I miss it. My last one was tossed because of the toxity of MDF and I have not built another yet.
I just do not have the time to start over.
If you use a plate amp use a quality plate amp if you can.
I feel if I was to build one sub of all the Decware subs it would be the WO32 and I would be like you and get pretty close to what is said in the forums. Steves sub is flexible in designs and can be used in all his subs so its a good balanced sub that you cannot go wrong with. Keep in mind he has had worked is magic with it and it will always be a good choice. I am a cheap bugger that looks for price and focuses on the specific design.
Read the thread that I added because some of those builders did a great job and there is some input from Ziggy ( decware's premium builder)
I may not be back this way for a long time but I hope I helped. All Steve's designs are worth building depending what you want.

Good luck!
Gex

IP Logged
Mike
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 05/19/20 at 10:59:14

Apologies if this has been done to death, however...

1. What is the agreed (hopefully proven) method for downsizing the WO32 for 6 1/2“ or 8” Drivers?
2. Likewise, is there an agreed ‘ideal’ set of driver parameters to adhere to if resizing for 6 1/2” or 8” woofer use?
3. Has anyone built a 6 1/2” or 8” driver version (resized) and does it still perform as expected?

Thank you
Mike

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print