Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 02:17:49 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What is the final vertict on building a DB f/8" (Read 8208 times)
vwguy3
Ex Member

What is the final vertict on building a DB f/8"
07/15/08 at 22:54:37

I know there was a lot of talk about mulitply the dimentions by .8 the 10 inch plans.  But I think it wouldn't work.  Is there a way that I can build a 8" DB, and how would I have to do it.  Right now I have two 8" JL WO's and would like to try and use them.  If not I geuss I could sell them and get a single 10".  If I end up going the 10 route what is a good 10 that has DVC 4 ohms?

Thanks
Justind

IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Re: What is the final vertict on building a DB f/8"
Reply #1 - 07/16/08 at 12:50:46

I would keep the box the same size as the 10inch version and just use the 8...

Or get a good 10, like an FI SSD, SSA Icon or Soundsplinter RL-i.

IP Logged
vwguy3
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/18/08 at 03:55:23

Does it matter if the the sub says that it is only for sealed and ported?  I think I read somewhere that as long as the sub isn't for free air only that it would work fine in the box.  Do you think that it would be better to adjust the size of the box to the subs recommended sizes for the sealed and ported?  which it believe is 1.0 sealed, and 1.5 for ported?  And now for the curve ball! would that change if I calmshelled the two JL 8WO's?

Thanks
Justind

IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/18/08 at 22:33:07

I would try to get as close to the recommended sealed specifications as possible. By positioning the insert low (so that it covers a bit of the half-moon) and building the whole box a little taller you can get very close to 1cf in the sealed chamber.

When using 2 drivers in a clamshell configuration they will require half the space. At least that's what I have read Smiley
Here is an interresting read in that direction : http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=152

IP Logged
backfixer
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 07/19/08 at 23:28:32

gonna have to agree with Adrian here, the manufacturer of the sub KNOWS their subs the best and what the most effective or effecient dimensions per the specifications of their own design. find out what the specs are for the ported version of your sub and then customize your db to that...

I did this EXACT same thing only for a House Wrecker...I only had 1 15" JBL at my disposal. so I only built 2 compartments of the HW15, but made the dimensions specific to the JBL manufactured recommendations...and man let me tell you, when we watched Lord of the Rings, and those elephants came stomping around during the epic battle scene...I cannot to this day believe my ears were listening to a 150 watt max RMS single 15" sub...INSANITY folks!

unfortunately, when I moved to another state, we had way too much SH$%, so I trashed the modified HW...and wept softly

IP Logged
vwguy3
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/28/08 at 22:48:01

Okay, I found the specs for the subwoofer that I have.  They are sealed .375 cu ft. and ported .75 cu ft.  So if I use one sub would I build the box to the specs of .375 and .75?  And then for iso set up use .1875 and .75?  How am I suppose to fit a sub in .1875 cu ft of space?

Thanks
Justind

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print