03/28/24 at 16:30:08 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Burning in new taboo (Read 7062 times)
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Burning in new taboo
07/10/08 at 02:39:48

I have had my new Taboo for 7 days now and have logged 53 hours over that time. the unit is burning in nicely and sounds good. I am noticing that the Sovtek EL84's are a little brittle in the high range, though. After a couple of weeks I anticipate switching the valves around. The amp has plenty of volume even with my 89db Von Schweikert monitors. I have played it with the volume at and near wide open without any distortion or problems.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Burning in new Taboo
Reply #1 - 07/26/08 at 23:41:21

Now that the Taboo has been burned in for 24 days I changed the tubes.

In front is a black plate, triple mica 1956 JAN Sylvania 12AT7; with RCA gray plate power tubes and a Bendix 6106 rectifier.

Even with 89db Von Schweikert VR-1 monitors, the Taboo at anywhere from 5/8 to full volume fills this little room.

What a sound!

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Mohicanrx7
Ex Member

Re: Burning in new taboo
Reply #2 - 05/29/10 at 20:07:14

Hi Rivieraranch,
What size is the listening area you refer to? Are you @ 2.5v with your Ah! Tjoeb and 89db speakers?
My speakers are 101db, cd is 2.2v, room is 11x16. Do you feel I could use Taboo (hope to get soon) w/out preamp or do you feel it is needed as higher input voltage is needed over high efficiency speakers?  
How did you break yours in?

Mohicanrx7

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Burning in new taboo
Reply #3 - 05/29/10 at 21:47:12

I have had mine nearly 2 years now. I switched it on for 5 hours and then off for 5 hours; on/off at 5 hour cycles and then after a week or so I felt it was fully burned in.  I had it in an 11 x 14 listening room with regular ceilings. It was more than adequate.

The unit "likes" at least 3 volts to come to full power, but when I had it alone with the Njoe player (2.5 volts) it filled the room with very nice sound. I recall that when I bought a CSP2 preamp and connected it to the TABOO it took the amp to a whole different level. The sound acquired more weight, and authority. I really don't know how else to describe it.

If you are using the TABOO alone you should run a 12AX7 in the input position, which will maximize the gain.  If you run a TABOO with the CSP2 then you can put a 12AT7 or 12AU7 in the input of the TABOO. Adding the preamp allows for infinite adjustments of input gain and gradually you will be able to "tune in" your preferred setting on the preamp. It is quite a combination. I have it at the office now and use it every work day.      

55   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print