Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 15:57:01 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
why is my amp making odd sound on warm up? (Read 6823 times)
gexter
Ex Member

why is my amp making odd sound on warm up?
07/06/08 at 21:25:09

I have a SE84C and its always made a sound like scratching as it warms up. This was and really is not a problem because once it warms up its fine.
But this seem to be worse lately and I am wondering what is causing it, and could it be impending doom of some component.
Works fine beside the odd warm up sound.
I think I remember I read a post somewhere about the same thing a long time ago but I could not find it.
any ideas?

Thanks, Gexter

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: why is my amp making odd sound on warm up?
Reply #1 - 07/08/08 at 03:19:40

First can you eliminate the tubes?  Have you put new tubes in to see if anything changes?  Let's start there.  And with you answer, does the scratching show up on both speakers or just one side or the other?

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/08/08 at 05:45:27

Steve.

I do have a set of other tubes, and I really did not take notice if it is in one side or the other.
Too late tonight for me to try the changes, I will give it a go tomorrow and see what happens and I'll let you know.

Thanks

Gex

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/09/08 at 05:31:13

It was the tubes.
The SV83 tubes were creating the noise. I swapped out the pair and the noise went away. The sad part is the hum increased.
I think I would like to deal with the scratchy type sound on warm up instead of the hum of the mullards I have. I am too close to my speaker in distance at the moment to tolerate the hum. Nothing I have is brand new as far as I know so they may have a few hours on them as well.

Its all good if the problem lies in just getting some new tubes that works for me. Better than some cap ready to give its life in some smelly mess.
I still have yet another set to try, but now I know the tubes I have been using are the culprit.

Thanks Steve.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 07/09/08 at 05:49:48

The way these things are built it's seldom the unit.  Don't worry I still do it to myself frequently.

Steve Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print