Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 13:25:10 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Model SE84ZSM Information (Read 19904 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Model SE84ZSM Information
07/04/08 at 22:03:36

OVERVIEW:

These amplifiers represent the final degree of the basic Zen Triode design.  They are the result of a eleven year evolution of hand building over 2000 Zen amps and dozens of variations along the way.  And there were countless hours of phone conversations with customers getting first hand feedback on nearly every one. We believe this platform can go no higher.  The bloodline is as follows:

The 1996 SE84C brought real SET hi-fi within reach of serious but broke audiophiles, and still does today.

The SE84CS came a few years later as a tweaked out version of the SE84C, pushing the envelope on resolution.  It recently became the SE84ZS which could be considered the closest thing to the new monos but in a smaller stereo version.  The SE84ZS was used along with signature monos below as the main two reference amps during the development of the SE84ZSM monoblocks.

Three versions:

The SV83M
The SV83MDC
The SV83S

These signature pairs of Zen Triode monoblocks spanning 3 revisions and 9 years are the predecessors to the new SE84ZSM amplifiers.

From a performance perspective it should be understood the main motivation for developing the original signature monoblocks was really to not only push the fidelity of the original Zen amp but also to increase the power without losing that wonderful sound.  

The new SE84ZMS monoblocks evolved to use a single tube per channel because in the end this was the most transparent.  Even though it's pr�cis had 4 watts from paralleled output tubes, the new amplifiers actually get louder and are more dynamic from the benefits of a choke regulated high impedance pure polypropylene film and foil power supply and tube voltage regulation of the input stage.  

If you're new to the Zen Triode design - it is based around the 6P15P-EV aka SV83 output tubes which are one of the most linear tubes in the world.  It was chosen over 300B, 2A3, 45's and so-on because of it's incredible speed and sonic's.

These amplifiers have only 1 capacitor and 2 resistors in the main signal path.  Unlike other SET amps this one loves low impedances and increases in power all the way down to 2 ohms with outstanding dynamics.  Wonderfully overbuilt, point-to-point wiring, no circuit boards, even hookup wire is eliminated thanks to a part to part layout.  Transparency and believable 3D imaging with near perfect timbre and unparalleled detail are just some of the areas larger more expensive amplifiers fall short on by comparison.

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Model SE84ZSM Information
Reply #1 - 10/01/08 at 03:18:02

Have to say Steve. . . these are beautiful amplifiers.  I remember the thrill seeing the photos for teh first time!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/23/11 at 16:18:42

Does anyone else out there own these great sounding amps?  I use a pair in my second system, with Decware MG944 speakers, a Joseph Chow modded Sony STA6B tuner, Sistrum stand,  and Grover Huffman's latest speaker cables and interconnects.

I purchased my ZSM's in 2008 with the Z-Cap option, and recently send them back to Decware to add stepped attunators and the Hazen grid mods.

Currently running Tung Sol 5U4G's, RCA OA3's, Philips Miniwatt 7308's, and 6P15P-EV tubes.

I'm curious what tubes other owners might be using?

Mike

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/25/11 at 15:40:07

No other owners of 84ZSM's out there?

Mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 09/25/11 at 17:22:39

Appears not. When my ship comes in, I'll get one. Smiley

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/26/11 at 00:08:14

You could be sure that these puppies deliver incredible stereo separation to boot. This is what I am experiencing with my Mini Torii, which is really 2 amps in one chassis.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 09/26/11 at 00:30:03

Sure. I get that with my amp too, which is similarly constructed. There's something about the SE84 design though that is very special. I'd love to hear these "flagship" versions, and I would have gone that route if I didn't need the power of the Torii.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #7 - 11/11/11 at 06:06:54

I agree Lon, their is something very special about the SE84 design. I will never sell my original #76 Select. I also never sent it in for the CCE mod because I want this Amp to stay in it's original pure form. Plus, as tempting as it was to send it in for the CCE.....I could not stand to be without it for long.

I have wanted these SE84ZSM Mono Blocks with the tube regulation since this post by Steve. However, I want the power, Lon as you mentioned and the grip in the low end that I believe the Torii III will offer.

My goal is to buy these mono's and alternate between: I will have my original untouched Select I love, Torii III (CCE/EL34) and SE84ZSM's (CCE mod for/use original SV83's...my favorite tube) every four to six weeks with the two pairs of speakers I have. I am also on the list for Steve's new Driver's and have my Dad put them in open baffles for me. If that does not pan out because Steve can't get the Driver's from Dayton.....I'll need to road trip down to hear his new Horns with the Tang Band Driver's.

I love the trip/journey of the Select the last ten years. Next chapter is the III!
tgarden enjoy......you know how special these mono blocks are....... .

Three Decware Model's, my two pair of conventional Loudspeakers and a pair of Steve's Single Driver's one way or the other will do it for me.

Best laid plans of mice and men, but-I finally have the III coming!
Stone of Tone

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #8 - 08/29/16 at 03:43:03

We are now producing these mono amplifiers again using the new UFO output transformers and Cryo Treated Copper Foil Beeswax caps with great results.  The model number is going to be SE84UFO3 and you can look for it on the site in the near future.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print