03/29/24 at 03:04:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help with WO 36x24 (Read 9544 times)
kappasub
Ex Member

Help with WO 36x24
05/21/08 at 09:08:26

I followed the design precicely, and I have access to a table saw and posess woodworking skills, so everything seemed to fit nicely Wink. But when I came to my baffle, there was no room on the smaller outside baffle to mount my Rockford Fosgate P1410 10" subs Huh, so I mounted them reverse, as the plans state you can do (cone facing into sealed chamber). I stuffed the sealed side with poly fill after making sure all would seal tightly, and wired my subs carefully making sure I had +/- matched, then squezzed this baby into my trunk (it barely fit.) Anyway, to my dissmay, the bass was greatly lacking as compared to my old krappy well used and much smaller box Cry. The WO produced a much lower bass, but the subs would bottom out before an acceptably car rattling volume was acchieved. The specs on the subs are as follows:
10" 4 ohm (wired in parelell) 150w rms, 300w peak. 1.5" 6-Layer Voice Coil, 40 oz motor, 84db SPL. mount depth 5.125"
Reccomended Sealed enclosure Range: 0.50 cu. ft. - 0.85 cu. ft.
Reccomended Vented Enclosure 1.40 cu. ft. Vented Tuning Frequency 37 Hz

K so I've allready tried all combinations possable of reversing phazing etc, so I think i'm left with take fill out or find a way to reverse the way the subs mount. The plan specificly says you cant move the position of the baffle board, so i can't make a bigger one to accomidate this sub. The sub is not intended to be mounted cone side against the baffle, should I find a way to do so? Is this sub just incompatible with this design? Finnaly, what else could I be not thinking of?  :-? I worked very hard to get this right, but I'm just not getting the results people post about, please help.
Thanx,   Jake

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: Help with WO 36x24
Reply #1 - 05/21/08 at 16:58:44

Jake,

I can come up with at least 25 questions that might help you, but can't type that fast.....call me 828-728-2081, I'll return your call if its long distance for you.

bobZ

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
kappasub
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/22/08 at 07:24:30

OK, so I called Zygi about this, and he indicated it realy sounded like subs outa phaze, so I re checked my wiring, and low and behold, one was +/+ -/- and the other was +/- +/- Embarrassed After rectifieng the problem, whoa unbeleiveable BASS, Shocked I mean HUGE improvement over my old box. Grin. So anyway, thank you very much for the help Zygi. Smiley
My enclosure is 36 x 24 following design exactly, painted all flat black with KAPPA girls painted in white on the throught. It is fitted with 2 Rockford Fosgate P1 10" Subs, and just barely fit in my trunk. On top I have mounted a Rockford Fosgate P325.1 Monoblock amp, and a 500MFD Capacitor.
It looks kick ass, and sounds unbelevable compared to the same setup mounted in an admitedly well loved, but in need of recycling standard band pass box Embarrassed. The Bass responce across ranges from around 120hz down to 40hz or so are soo greatly improved I can hardly beleve it. Shocked My other box was good from about 80 hz down to about 50, in ranges above and below that, it pretty much suked. Kudos to Steve for the awsome and might I add free design. Smiley Pictures to follow in the next couple days or so

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #3 - 05/23/08 at 06:32:53

Jake,

That is great, glad you found the problem. Even someone doing this for a living can do it, not all the time, thank God, but it happens.

Happy listening,

BobZ

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
speakerfreak7
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/25/08 at 20:43:19

think you could get some pics on here? sounds like a cool setup. what kind of truck do you have?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 05/26/08 at 16:19:02

I have run across drivers that were miss marked + & - from the factory a hand full of times.   About the second time I ran into it, I started pre-checking the polarity with a 1.5 volt battery.  You can never fully trust anything in audio.   Well, except of course me. Smiley

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #6 - 05/27/08 at 17:52:20

Steve Deckert wrote on 05/26/08 at 16:19:02:
I have run across drivers that were miss marked + & - from the factory a hand full of times.   About the second time I ran into it, I started pre-checking the polarity with a 1.5 volt battery.  You can never fully trust anything in audio.   Well, except of course me. Smiley

Steve

I think you need new tee-shirts!  Maybe for Decfest 2008?

"You can never fully trust anything in audio"
"Well, except of course me"

or maybe you could make it "Well, except of course Decware", but I think I like "Well, except of course me" better.

Dank

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print