03/29/24 at 15:21:12 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Taboo question (Read 16063 times)
Kelly
Verified Member

Taboo question
05/01/08 at 03:27:54

Quick Question, with the original Taboo, which position is the front switch in for lucid mode.  

I thought it was forward am I right?  I can't find my old manual.  Thanks

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: Taboo question
Reply #1 - 05/01/08 at 17:41:35

Kelly,

On my Taboo, Lucid mode is toward the rear.  Its fairly easy to hear the difference.

BobZ

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Kelly
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 05/01/08 at 20:35:57

Thank you.

IP Logged
D-18
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 05/02/08 at 02:53:14

Just adding my confirmation that the toggle is in the rear position for lucid mode. Personally I hear more dynamics and dimensionality / spacial information, with a frequency response tilted more toward the treble when in lucid - this is especially impressive on "live" recordings. But this comes at some cost, since I feel that overall the music does lose some body, cohesiveness, and pacing in lucid. I listen about a third of the time in lucid...It's great that Steve provided both the lucid and feedback choices.... Cheesy

Walt

CSP / Taboo / DSRII's / Zenstyx / Omega Super 3i speakers
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #4 - 05/02/08 at 22:42:08

Walt,

Where do you keep the feedback control set at?  Does it make any difference as to its position while in Lucid mode?

Just curious,
Bob Z

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
D-18
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 05/03/08 at 02:56:46

HI Bob
I keep the feedback pots at 11o'clock - move them around from time to time, but keep returning to 11 - which works best for me with the Sequerra's; interestingly, this stays consistent through wide variations of tube rolling. I listen near field at my desk and this setting seems to soften the analytical nature of my speakers. I must admit to not having experimented with paying attention to changing the feedback settings when in Lucid, but now that you mention it I'm going to give it a try! I suspect that different speakers will prefer different settings for both standard and lucid; has this been your experience?

By the way, now that Steve has added a site for the original Taboo, maybe this discussion should be moved there. Which brings up a question for Steve: does the new Taboo have the adjustable feedback function - I don't remember seeing the pots in the pictures of it...
Walt  

IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/03/08 at 22:05:19

Which brings up a question for Steve: does the new Taboo have the adjustable feedback function - I don't remember seeing the pots in the pictures of it...
Walt  

[/quote]

Nope, I have the Anniversary Taboo and there's no adjustable feedback function. Also on mine the Lucid mode switch goes from side to side rather than front to back, I keep it in Lucid mode all the time, so switched to the right..            Dave Smiley

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #7 - 05/04/08 at 02:07:42

D-18 wrote on 05/03/08 at 02:56:46:
HI Bob

By the way, now that Steve has added a site for the original Taboo, maybe this discussion should be moved there. Which brings up a question for Steve: does the new Taboo have the adjustable feedback function - I don't remember seeing the pots in the pictures of it...
Walt  

Walt,  

The new Taboo has fixed resistors set at aprox the 11:00 position.  This was done to eliminate noise should the pots ever become dirty.  With pots it's a good idea to rotate them weekly as a preventative maintenance.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
D-18
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 05/04/08 at 17:13:00

Thanks for the confirmations Dave & Steve! At some point I'll get around to trying some component changes in the Taboo & will likely replace the pots with the fixed resistors.

Walt

IP Logged
Kelly
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 05/10/08 at 09:54:33

Thanks for the responses on the Taboo question.  I do have one more question.  I have the Taboo and a 84CS, and with the CS I seem to get more volume even though it has less rated power.  It always has bothered me, as I bought the Taboo thinking I'd get more umph, but it doesn't seem to be the case.  The CS seems to have more power than the Taboo.  The speakers i'm using with either are the RL-3's.  I'm using the the standard recommended tubes.  The EL84's were supplied with my Taboo, but have tried the SV83's with no volume difference.  I haven't messed with the input/signal tube or the rectifier tube.  They are still the original.  I'm always amazed at the SE84CS.  For me it alway's out performs the Taboo.   I just don't know if I have a problem with my Taboo.  Although, i've noticed no reduction in performance since purchasing new.  Any help here.

Kelly

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #10 - 05/10/08 at 14:38:39

Kelly wrote on 05/10/08 at 09:54:33:
Thanks for the responses on the Taboo question.  I do have one more question.  I have the Taboo and a 84CS, and with the CS I seem to get more volume even though it has less rated power.  It always has bothered me, as I bought the Taboo thinking I'd get more umph, but it doesn't seem to be the case.  The CS seems to have more power than the Taboo.  The speakers i'm using with either are the RL-3's.  I'm using the the standard recommended tubes.  The EL84's were supplied with my Taboo, but have tried the SV83's with no volume difference.  I haven't messed with the input/signal tube or the rectifier tube.  They are still the original.  I'm always amazed at the SE84CS.  For me it alway's out performs the Taboo.   I just don't know if I have a problem with my Taboo.  Although, i've noticed no reduction in performance since purchasing new.  Any help here.

Kelly

Kelly, the Taboo needs a higher input signal than 2 volts to come to full power.  That is why when set side by side your CS will always get louder.  If you want to see what the Taboo is really all about, and see it totally outperform the CS you will need a preamp with some gain to put in front of it!  Ideally the CSP, CSP2 or something similar.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print