Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 23:45:47 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NEW AMPS from DECWARE  SE84ZSM (Read 14139 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

NEW AMPS from DECWARE  SE84ZSM
10/27/07 at 01:18:58

The new Zen Triode Monoblocks are now ready and have been added to the web site.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/monos.htm

It's kind of neat to look back to the early 90's when the original Zen Triode circuit was being tested and then flash back to today in 2007 where the picture above shows where the design peaked.

Sound wise they have a more analog sound - meaning it sounds like there are more points on a line.  This comes off as a smoothness that actually renders more detail.  Performance wise they are more dynamic and with more headroom then any previous models based around the SV83 or EL84 output tubes.

The tube regulation on the input stage de-couples it from the power supply which makes a noticeable improvement on the sonics of the front end.

Imaging is higher, and wider then the stereo models which can be a double edge sword.  A stereo model has a small mount of natural cross feed that occurs between channels that really locks a solid center image even if the source is less then close to reference quality.  Monoblocks by themselves have infinite separation between channels so a more honest if you will playback will occur.  This however will put more pressure on your source components to be of top quality to achieve a similar lock on the center image.

In any case, I hope they are well liked.  I'll be writing the design notes in the coming weeks.

Thanks,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
paulc
Ex Member

Re: NEW AMPS from DECWARE  SE84ZSM
Reply #1 - 10/27/07 at 01:32:10

BRAVO!!

Sure hope that someone in Northern Kentucky buys a set to give us a true Golden Ear report.  ;)

IP Logged
stevef
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/27/07 at 03:38:53

Hi All,

When we listened to the new amps at Zenfest,  my initial reaction was ''subtle, really subtle.''  This new amp is special.  You will hear nuances that you almost think are there, even more so than the S series.  Really fine details, for want of a better words.  I remember listening to them for a few minutes, then walking over to Steve and telling him that he really has something there.  I liked it- a lot.

Steve

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/27/07 at 15:09:42

Congrats Steve, very nice.

Dave

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #4 - 10/27/07 at 19:45:29

paulc wrote on 10/27/07 at 01:32:10:
BRAVO!!

Sure hope that someone in Northern Kentucky buys a set to give us a true Golden Ear report.  ;)

Indeed ..... I will be talking these amps up to Parker Audio Dave, Tim Adams and Bobaloo .....  8-)

Hopefully, one of them will reach deep into their pocket and then provide the desired report .....  :D

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #5 - 10/27/07 at 22:00:47

Well done Steve!
(Looking forward to owing a pair! )
                        Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 10/28/07 at 14:05:58

They're beautiful amps.  Take it from me guys (owner of Decware EL34 Monoblocks for years):  there's something special and satisfying about the monoblock sound and design.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #7 - 10/28/07 at 20:01:13

These guys look very pretty, Steve---congratulations!!

I'd immediately place an order if my wherewithall was within spec. (I'll have to wait, however).

BESIDES the added subtle refinements over the Select, it seems like they should have just the extra bit more needed for driving 8 ohm full rangers with a little more punch.

I'm extremely fond of the general presentation and headroom I get with the CS and Parker 98's, but also have an itch to attempt a blh with a single 6" or 8" at some point. My gut feeling is that just a little bit more drive would be a help.

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #8 - 11/21/07 at 05:22:02

Kah-bump!

Anyone who's ordered these and has them in their system, please feel free to post....

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #9 - 12/09/07 at 03:38:29

Darnit, I'll keep bumping this thread back up until someone gets a pair of these guys and chimes in.

Angry

Karl

IP Logged
darkelf
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 12/09/07 at 04:17:50

Trys to bump this back down ... I need new speakers not a new amp. Go Open baffle , Go ...  ;)

PS. Still nice amps.

IP Logged
stevef
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 12/09/07 at 05:18:25

I was hoping one of the forum members would have pulled the trigger, or at least their credit card, and bought some by now.  Me, I am over my limit in amps and preamps too.  I gotta' get rid of some stuff before I purchase anything new.  Review anyone?

Steve

IP Logged
morpheous85
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 12/09/07 at 15:50:29

Come on, you gotta give the amps time to break in!!!

Jason

IP Logged
stevef
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 12/09/07 at 18:27:49

LOL

IP Logged
morpheous85
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 12/16/07 at 01:41:52

morpheous85 wrote on 12/09/07 at 15:50:29:
Come on, you gotta give the amps time to break in!!!

Jason

Um....I don't own the amps.....I was meaning that those who bought them need time for the amps to break in before they can review em. Didn't I hear that the initial 10 that he sold and a discount sold quickly? Someone's got to own em!

Jason

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print