Send Topic Print
SE84CS (Read 24283 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

SE84CS
04/18/08 at 01:20:01

The SE84CS  2001~2006  Also known as the "Select", the SE84CS was a tweaked out SE84C in a black chassis.  

Replaced by the SE84ZS in 2008.  https://www.decware.com/newsite/SELECT.htm

Below is an excerpt from the original web page:

Owner's manual: https://www.decware.com/Select/select+ownersmanual.pdf

Schematic: https://www.decware.com/Select/select+schematic.pdf

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: SE84CS
Reply #1 - 04/20/08 at 05:15:02

This amplifier, as well as the the gray ones, has optional hardwood bases available. We still make these even though the amps are discontinued so that someone buying a used Zen can still enjoy the option. These are available in walnut, cherry, oak, maple, and custom exotic woods on request.

We also did several one of a kind custom SE84CS amps such as the one below with color changing paint. It changes from black to purple to blue to maroon depending on how the light hits it.

WWW   IP Logged
Rob

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 04/20/08 at 12:02:57

Aaaah... my pair of Selects  have been with  me  long  enough to  be "older gear".  I  believe that is  a GOOD  thing, as I  am still absolutely  loving these amps.

Steve,
I had  e:mailed you a  while  back about  a "check-up"  for  my amps, and I have  been too busy  to get them boxed-up and  sent in. I will be  doing that in the next few weeks.

Basically... I  need to  have the  following  checked-out, and  see if I can do a few nice little  mods to  them:
1) Moderate hum issue  both amps.
2) Loose binding posts on 1 side of each amp. Is  it  possible to upgrade these  to the  metal versions on the newer  models or  something  similar ?
3) One  amp, the front input RCA s are loose. I  know  this  is  contributing to hum on that  amp at  least. Are  there any upgraded ones  you can recommend/use ?
4) Will you  still "permanently strap" these  amps  for  monoblock operation ? The little  strapping wire and  Y  cables  bug me. Also, following up to #2, I only  need 1  set of  binding posts, can you install 1  set(left on left  amp/right on right) and  put a  blank plate over the other ?
5) Tube  sockets.  I know for a  fact I have  one  very  loose  socket. Are the ones on the  new  amps the  same ?  Any  recommendations  for an  upgrade here ?
6)  V-Caps.  Do you offer  a  V-cap upgrade ? Will you  install them if I ship them  with the  amps ?  
7)  What is the  weight of  an unladen sparrow ?

Any  other  tweaks you  might  recommend ?

By the  way. I am ordering a Tori II sometime in June  for another  system. I am  frothing  at the  mouth on that    8-)

(2) SE84C-Selects
HDTs w/Aurum Cantis Ribbons on home-made 2" solid maple plinths
Sunfire True Sub(x'ed@42hz/o gain)
Shanling CDT100(hot-modded)
PSAudio 600
Custom 99.999% silver sprk cables & ICs
Decware silver/teflon "Y"
Lots-a-tubes,cones & spikes
  IP Logged
trench
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 03/17/12 at 15:18:03

Hey Steve the link for the manual is not working, I would really like to have the manual for this unit. could you help me out.

Thank you

Decware SE84CS,PS Audio 4.6/m500,Audio Nirvana supercast 10/mkII 2.8, Nad 515bee
  IP Logged
kchia
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 03/22/12 at 04:28:44

Hi Steve,
very nice indeed the Select been with me since 2004 and the serial no.238  that sound warm and like to keep it forever. Lately I have a problem with the amp that fused when I switch on a number of time.I presume there is a short in the power transformer.Anyway I am a Malaysia and I managed to ask a local technician to check and he told me the wire had been short and do not know the value if I have to rewind the trans. May I know the voltage and milliamp on the pin 4 and 6 on 5U4 tube. Look forward to hear from you,thank you

cheers,
kh chia

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 03/23/12 at 17:32:57

Remove the rectifier tube, replace the fuse, and power on.  If the remaining tubes light up, then your amp is likely just fine.  

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #6 - 03/23/12 at 17:38:01

The SE84CS owner's manual can be found here:

https://www.decware.com/Select/select_ownersmanual.pdf

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
kchia
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 03/24/12 at 07:26:03

Hi Steve,
Sorry to trouble again, as I have mentioned earlier that I have been tested a number of time when changing the fused. I even unplug the all the tube and switch on ,immediately the amp is fused, as my technician said the pin 4 and 6 on the rectifier wire been short and I need the voltage ,miliwatage value so that I can rewind the transformer  locally here,thank you for the reply.

cheres,
kh chia

IP Logged
mullman
Verified Member

tubes, old school

Reply #8 - 05/18/14 at 18:26:51

I am the original owner of Select #240 born in May of 2004 and it is a giant killer, always has been.  It is well seasoned - 10 years!

Honestly I am really eyeing that new Super Zen Select with the meters, but not ready to jump yet.

I only have one pair of the original SV83s left from a large purchase years ago and will soon need to order some backups.

I have been away from this forum for a few years but notice the original SV83s are gone and the new ones are not correct.

What is correct output tube in 2014 to stock up on for my amp?

Best
-Grey

WWW mulls@mac.com   IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/19/14 at 01:42:25

From the SE84CKCS web page:

"This amp is shipped with premium quality N.O.S. 6P15P-EV output tubes with gold grids rated at 5000 hours. These Russian military spec tubes are the top grade of what we came to know in this country as the SV83."

I would think that you could use the 6P15P-EV in your Select without any issues. You could talk with Decware and other [order] the tubes from them as well.

IP Logged
mullman
Verified Member

tubes, old school

Reply #10 - 05/19/14 at 13:02:17

Thanks buster, this is my third Decware amp, and I fully understand the specs.  I was more interested in avoiding things like the SV83 tubes currently available (listed as 6P15P-EV) that Steve said were not appropriate.

WWW mulls@mac.com   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #11 - 05/20/14 at 04:19:14

Steve has a line on some of the best tubes available for these amps. Just get them from him - he'll make sure the are properly tested and matched. (he does that all in house)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print