Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:54:37 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rectifier tube for CSP2? (Read 103486 times)
Longbowbbs

Life is a journey,
not a guided tour.

Re: Rectifier tube for CSP2?
Reply #50 - 12/15/12 at 00:57:17

I would like to post some pics of my new USAF-596 Rectifier on the CSP2+...How do I post pics and is there a size limit on the photo?

Upgradeus Interruptus
MacMini,W4S DAC-2 DSDse,Denon DVD-5900, Decware CSP2+, Taboo MK III, Sennheiser HD800's, DM945's, DefTech Supercube 3
http://www.head-fi.org/t/654644/a-visit-to-decware
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #51 - 12/15/12 at 04:49:01

Donnie is the uncredited instructor and expert on this, and here is his latest tutorial from the Superzen thread:

I need to write a standard process for attaching photos.

The best way is to post them at a photo sharing site like Photobucket or Flicker.
Then push the 3rd little button from the top left that looks like a little picture, when you hover over the button it says Insert Image. Push the button and [img][/img] comes up.
Put the URL of your picture between the ] and [
Now when you preview your post, the photo should show up.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Don W

Reply #52 - 12/15/12 at 05:29:34

I think if you attach an image file to the message when you post it, the image gets displayed. Use the Browse button to select the file.

Decware: Taboo, CSP2+, Mini-Torii, MG944, ERR, Zen Styx, DSR-II interconnects, DHC-1 power cables. Other: Audeze LCD-3 w/ Q cables, EE Mini-Max DAC Plus, Audio-gd SA-1 DAC, Audio-gd DI-DSP USB to Coaxial converter. Homemade PC with JRiver Media Center.
  IP Logged
Longbowbbs

Life is a journey,
not a guided tour.

Reply #53 - 12/15/12 at 13:19:46

Is there an image size limit?

Upgradeus Interruptus
MacMini,W4S DAC-2 DSDse,Denon DVD-5900, Decware CSP2+, Taboo MK III, Sennheiser HD800's, DM945's, DefTech Supercube 3
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #54 - 12/15/12 at 13:41:35

There isn't a limit if you link the photo in from a sharing site like Flicker.
I'll try to take some time today and figure out a way to make a document to show how to link photos.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Longbowbbs

Life is a journey,
not a guided tour.

Reply #55 - 12/15/12 at 15:09:34

The Mighty USAF-596 Rectifier

Upgradeus Interruptus
  IP Logged
setamp
Verified Member

Reply #56 - 12/18/12 at 20:20:19

USAF- 596  Agree !!!!!

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 04/01/13 at 22:26:01

I like this thread, keep going over it from time to time.  An FYI for anyone interested in the Phillips 5R4GYS rectifier.  I have 2 I got from upscaleaudio.com for $40 +shipping.   I went back to the site today for a 3rd, (1 for my csp2 and 2 for my Torii MK lll that is currently "on the bench", anyways, the tubes are now going for $55 + shipping.  Must have happened recently and I had just ordered the 2nd one a month or so ago.   The description of the tube states that they figured it'd go eventually to $100.  Looks like it might someday.  Makes it tougher for me to pull the trigger another.  Might put the 2 I have in the torii and get one of the RCA's Lon mentions he likes for the csp2.

Greg

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #58 - 04/02/13 at 02:51:50

Hi Greg!

Yes, the Philips 5R4GYS are mil spec tubes which work very well in place of the usual 5U4G or GZ34.
From my own experience and the reviews found on upscale audio, this ranks as one of the greatest audio discoveries alongside the use of PCC88s in place of 6DJ8 tubes.

Considering how insanely $$$$ the GZ34 have be become, the 5R4GYS are really value for $$$.

I've also bought a couple of Philips and Brimar 5R4G rectifiers for my great great grandchildren to use and enjoy ! Wink

BTW, for those technically inclined, the Max Input Capacitor listed in the data sheets is 4uF.
My personal research in this area has lead me to conclude that the cap rating is grossly understated.
The 5R4GY class of rectifier can work safely up to around 47uF cap.
So it is safe to use this rectifier based on empirical evidence and experimentation.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 04/02/13 at 03:14:41

You listen to Lord South, boy! I looked up those tubes and they are nice coke bottle brown based cuties that will probably go fast. They probably will be around $100 some day.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 04/03/13 at 18:13:23

Just ordered my 3rd and hopefully last one.  $72 shipped..ouch.  But, if rectifiers can potentially last what, 10 or more years then what the heck.
Greg

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 02/12/15 at 14:22:42

I figured I'd update this thread.  The Phillips 5R4gy tubes at Upscale Audio are now $95 each.

I am starting a poll to find out what rectifiers folks are using in their ZP3, Amp or CSP.  I want to hear all suggestions but really am interested in more reasonably priced American versions...especially of the a fore mentioned 5R4GY Rectifier.  Mark.

PS...I currently am running Ken Rad WW II 5U4Gs in the Torii, 50's RCA 5U4Gs in the Zen Signature Monoblocks, new production Valve Art 274B in the CSP3, and a 50's RCA 5Y3G in the ZP3.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #62 - 02/12/15 at 14:33:29

Torii Mk III (newest) RCA 5V4G ('fifties, I think)

Torii Mk III (oldest) cryo'd Valve Arts 274B

Tori Mk III cryo'd Valve Arts 274B

All three CSP2+ in three systems: RCA 5Y3GT, one 'forties, two 'fifties. These just are the most accurate rectifiers for this machine, when using tapes I recorded of bands I was in in my former garage apartment, reference tapes that are useful because I was there, with these musicians, in this space.

ZP3: GE 5Y3GT, 'fifties. Again, this tube type seems the most accurate to me in the ZP3.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 02/12/15 at 14:49:42

I wish we were all able to post our Gear and the tubes and tweaks employed in our profile without having it appear as a signature on every post.  That way we could all have this useful info at our finger tips.  We could also leave commentary on our findings and favorite tubes and modify our findings as they change, alleviating the need to sift through multiple old posts for answers...just a thought. I often find it difficult to pull the trigger on more expensive tubes without knowing how they'll perform in my specific gear. Or at least knowing the opinions/impressions of those who've used the tubes in my gear. Mark

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 02/12/15 at 14:53:56

Lon,  the suffix...GT means the smaller straight bottle versions...correct?  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #65 - 02/12/15 at 15:05:03

Yes.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 02/12/15 at 16:44:22

Yes those Philips have shot up. I grabbed a pair when they seemed to appear all at once on e-bay. I`m sure one of the ads said this is a $100 tube, grab yourself a bargain now. I only have one now after a Rachael gave me a belt when I was trying to figure out an EL34 failure.
Just needed a repacement tube thats all.

I have been using the brown base RCA 5R4GY x2 `D`bottom getters in both CSP2+ and ZP3 for some months.

However I`m revisiting a Mullard GZ34 ( I`m sure I didn`t pay the big price they can fetch on it ) white shield...and last night the Philips.

So
CSP2+ Philips 5R4GYS
ZP3 Mullard GZ34

I`m starting to think about digging my 5y3GT out again and switching out the Philips.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 02/12/15 at 19:19:09

I never could "get" the Phillips 5R4GYS. It is always impressive when I try it, but the appearance of power and density ends up overwhelming inner detail for me in my Torii and in my CSP3. Since I went to an Amperex green globe 6922 (looks and sounds just like the early 60s 7308) in front of the CSP3, and some Phillips E188CCs in the power positions, my fave is a dirt cheap GE 5R4GY with double D getters. It is probably an RCA...just like some RCAs I have except these have a single getter.

I think it just depends what you put with what. I am also using Mazda 5V4G/GZ32s in the Torii, with their nice tonal density and slight warmth, and the big and slightly warm Genelex KT66, and as inputs, the unusual warmth, articulation, and fine detail of some very nice Amperex/Miniwatt PCC88s...then the 7308 types in the CSP3, their amazing extension, articulation, inner detail and tonal density....with all that, the very open and clean sounding GE is just awesome.

Unlike the stock CSP3 tubes, this tube set lets through all the micro detail, dynamics, pace etc my Tranquility DAC and Torii MKIV can offer, which is a big deal for me.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #68 - 02/27/15 at 17:52:06

ZP3 - RCA  50's  5U4GB straight tall bottle  and  RCA 50's  5Y3GT  straight short bottle....still undecided which I'll keep installed for the long run.
Using the 5R4GYS Phillips (upscale) in the SuperZen SE84CKC.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print