Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 10:10:26 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Finally got my WO complete (but.. Problems) (Read 5101 times)
jimt
Ex Member

Finally got my WO complete (but.. Problems)
04/04/08 at 20:45:20

Finally got around to finishing my WO from like a year + ago when I was planning on building it.     Here are the issues I have-  It's not perfect,  the basic outer structure is great, but the inside didn't happen the way i wanted so i had to fill in a lot of imperfections with silicone.       I put 2 cheapie pioneer subs in it, and it doesn't seem to produce the bass i'd expect without bottoming out the subs.  

At low volumes it will produce a scary 40hz (or so) which seems like it would carry well if I turned it up, but when I do it just bottoms out and I lose it.

Is this a product of the cheap woofers?   Or a product of my crappy construction.   Its air tight, but not perfectly symmetrical (its within a 1/2", but who knows from looking).    If its the first one, then I'll get better subs, if its the second then I'll sledge hammer it and start over.

-Jim

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Re: Finally got my WO complete (but.. Problems)
Reply #1 - 04/04/08 at 23:25:27

Lets start with a few tests.

have you tried reversing the phase on one driver? I have heard the WO out of phase and the description you have given sounds kinda like that could be the case. If this doesn't have anything to do with it, you might try stuffing something into the sealed side to take up some airspace there.

If neither of those help, you might need to check you amp and connections just to make sure you aren't losing too much power or clipping or something that might cause it electronically rather than mechanically.

If all else fails, you are left with driver quality and enclosure integrity. If your silicone is very liberal in order to seal the box or if the box is severely off, it could have something to do with it. If nothing else is wrong, my guess would be the woofers just don't have the motor strength for the box.

Hope that helps.

Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Re: Finally got my WO complete (but.. Problems)
Reply #2 - 04/05/08 at 16:52:54

JimT wrote on 04/04/08 at 20:45:20:
At low volumes it will produce a scary 40hz (or so) which seems like it would carry well if I turned it up, but when I do it just bottoms out and I lose it.

if the box is not COMPLETELY SEALED it can sound like that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print