Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 02:37:39 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hdt II speaker wiring questions (Read 8792 times)
WildLightPhoto
Ex Member

Hdt II speaker wiring questions
03/28/08 at 23:13:11

I'm currently in the middle of building a pair of Hdt II's and have a couple questions concerning the wiring of the speakers.  First, are the woofer and tweeter wired directly to the speaker terminals, but wired separate from each other?  The photos posted by RFZ_Quest are great, but don't show the finished wiring run.  I assume that the woofer connection is routed through the top plate due to the location of the speaker terminals.  Second, what is a good source of wire for the speakers (and what specific wire).
Thanks,
Jack H.

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Re: Hdt II speaker wiring questions
Reply #1 - 03/29/08 at 13:59:06

Good morning Jack,

I can ask Ziggy (or he might reply here) but I am 99% sure that the tweeter and the woofer are run separate to the terminal. That way you can just take out the terminal block and change the capacitor on the tweeter at will. It really wouldn't make any difference in the load on the amplifier to do it any other way so keeping them separate to the terminal makes sense.

As far as the wire to use, that is one very debatable subject. Some say wire can make all the difference in the world. If you have the money, I would say a terrific bet would be the wire that Steve sells on this site. Which one to use specifically with the HDTII might be a question for Steve or Bob though.

Barring the money for these cables, take a look at several of the forum posts about speaker wiring. I have seen everything from Lamp Cord, and automotive wire touted as "best" and then I have seen cables that were evidently hand make by Tibetan Monks and dipped in eel saliva (or something like that) and of coursed bless by Mother Theresa herself, lol.

Need a little humor here and there eh? lol

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
WildLightPhoto
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/29/08 at 19:03:01

After looking through the various forum posts on wiring, I decided to take the middle of the road.  Jim McShane has wire he describes as 20 ga. mil-spec Teflon insulated 600 volt silver plated fine stranded copper, the right gauge for replacing original wiring. Very high quality!  The price is low enough to experiment with and pull out if it doesn't perform.  He felt that it would work very well for the Hdt's wiring at a reasonable price.  And I can save up for the Tibetan Monk/eel spit cables. Grin
Thanks Robert

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #3 - 03/29/08 at 20:53:47

Let me know how those work out.

I have been in the speaker business albeit car audio for some 16 years now. In all that time, I have been able to tell a difference only when the quality of wire was very very low. In the better cables I have used, not so much. The HDT and several other full range speakers I have heard are not forgiving of poor quality source units or amplifiers. I have to believe that wire probably falls right in line with the chain of things these speakers are capable of uncovering. When mine are done, I am sure wire will be one of the first things I am looking at upgrading (far cheaper than source or amp lol).

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
WildLightPhoto
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/29/08 at 21:59:29

Robert,
I'll post a review as soon as I get them together and burned in.  I have put together cable sets from Home
Grown Audio in the past, and I seem to remember that they used to sell bulk teflon encased silver wire.  I'll have to go back and check.  Thanks for the input.
Jack

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print