Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
scientific play (Read 5773 times)
Hellion DarkLord
Seasoned Member

scientific play
03/19/08 at 20:34:23

Dear Audiophiles,

What happened to the "Speaker Building" forum?  

I have been away a long long time and appologize for that.  I have not been stable of late.  I haven't even been able to build a cardboard speakerbox since the beginning of the year!  I have been so terribly bored without experimentation that I think I'm going to loose my mind!

Last week I'd decided that I'd had it just reading about other people's experimnetations and even though I can't exactly build anything right now because of where I live I can still play around with stuff that's already built.  This led to the latest experimentational play.  I got out a note book, pulled a blown driver out of a nice ported enclosure and started working on a Graham Holliman with extremely limited modifications.  

The first step was to remove the old 12 inch driver from the ported enclosure.  Then I laid it on it's back with the port and driver hole facing up.  I carefully laid out two lighters, a cold medication box, and a folded piece of paper with tape wrapped around it to make it thick on top so that when I set my KLH 10" sub box ontop of it the lighters and things would create a nice little gap between the two boxes.  I played around with the crossover and gain and spent probably a good hour enjoying my scientific play taking notes and pretending that I was really doing something special.  I stuffed a sheet into the port opening of the passive enclosure, and a few other things before I started having to really get creative in order to continue playing.  I removed the small round banana plug insert and different things like that.

All in all, I think I've actually come up with something.  I think that I actually made a bass enclosure that has only localized bass that doesn't travel more than a few feet before rolling off completely.  doesn't sound like much?  Imagine playing your favorite music and hearing all the lows nice and loudly without having to share your joy with the neighbors...

Not much, but I didn't have much to work with, and only a limited volume level before people started getting annoyed with me.  (Don't want to loose the priveliege of having a stereo!)  I am living in transitional housing with 7 other previously homeless people.  I can actually listen to music at night and enjoy the bass without bothering other people in the house once I close the door.  AMAZING!  It also seems to have decent responce down to the lowest tones in french techno called infrabass, and also seems to play well up to about 80 Hz.  Not sure how flat it is, but I like it, and it really fills out the bottom half of a bass hit in SCA and Death Metal.  I can't play it loud enough to feel it unless I shut off the mains which is a little boring to listen to, but there also, my roomates don't even know it's happening, though one guy keeps complaining of scary earthquakes during the day LOL "feels like the floor tries to fall out from under neath you."  He says.

TTy all L  I only have 8 minutes left and other things to type up.

Hellion

IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Re: scientific play
Reply #1 - 03/19/08 at 20:41:08

Speaker builders forum is at the Audio Forums page, this is the Support Forums page.. The two were separated a few weeks back and lots more topics added etc..     Dave Smiley

IP Logged
Hellion DarkLord
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/19/08 at 20:56:15

can I move this thread somehow?

IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/19/08 at 21:09:25

I'm not sure HD, you could start the thread over in the other forum or just let it be here .. You may get more interest if you were to re-post it though..  I just thought I'd let you know as it all changed here not to long ago, I kind of dig the new forum style here myself...  Also Steve invited some competing companys to have their own Forums also which is a nice if not bold touch...   Basically Steve made this Forum for all concerns and questions, help, advice etc for Decware products, and the other Forum page for most everything else including a mostly unrestricted topic Cafe thread...  Enjoy   Dave Smiley

IP Logged
Hellion DarkLord
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/20/08 at 10:39:02

Sadly, I cannot log into the new forum.  Even using fire fox.

IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/20/08 at 20:33:18

Hmm, I'm using Firefox on both no prob, maybe contact Decware or use the Forum help section to see what's up..

Dave Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print