04/24/24 at 08:25:11 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mono or TorII? (Read 6584 times)
handensco
Ex Member

Mono or TorII?
03/15/08 at 17:32:10

I ahve been visiting this site for about 5 years and watching it grow. I have now built my second pair of the hammer dynamic speakers. Now it is time to start thinking about tube amps. I loved the sound of my dads and his cousins old tube gear. wixh it was all still around, but that was the 60's.
the question is what to expect between the Mono blocks and the TorII which way to go why and you know? Help!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Mono or TorII?
Reply #1 - 03/15/08 at 22:59:16

Welcome!

What you should NOT expect. . . is a sound from these amps like those vintage amps that you (and I as well) grew up with.

You'll find an open and quick sounding amp with extended frequency response both high and low, that has the best characteristics of solid state amplification with that solidity and dimension that tube amplification offers.

Speaker efficiency and room size should be considered when choosing the right model. . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #2 - 03/16/08 at 04:15:53

I've logged a gazillion hours on vintage tube amps, and have to agree with Lon's comments.

The Decware amp I have and those I've heard are fast, quick and very transparent (my amp is the Select, which I've compared to the Taboo).

My guess is the TorII is very similar, but I'm good with the headroom of the Select. It depends on the headroom needed, but I'm doing great with the Select, so far.

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #3 - 03/17/08 at 16:47:01

No doubt about it, the Select, even in its stock clothing is a splendid performer. I've had more than a few visitors scratch their heads after listening for a while-"How can something that small---?"
That said, a TorII is on my (very) short list! Smiley
                                                                                                           Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #4 - 03/17/08 at 17:40:20

I agree with all the above. I have had my Select since May of 2001 and as August Rush says: It is more important than FOOD (Music with the Select in my case Cool!  However, I have heard Steve's TorII at ZenFest 2005 and lust after its Signature as well.  Why?  Because I want both!  Working on that!  I would audition both; seriously.

Stone of Tone  8-)

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #5 - 03/17/08 at 17:53:35

I would have to say that sensitivity is important in this comparo.

I haven't heard the mono's, but I have heard several Decware amps. The Tori I heard is strong. Very Strong. I wouldn't say it has a totally different signature, but it definitely has more headroom and authority. I don't know if you might say it has less finesse, but I think that might be a good description.

Basically, I guess they are two different animals. What one lacks it makes up for in another department. An audition of the two in the same system would likely be the best bet, but not likely to happen anywhere other than Peoria IL. lol

Although, I would LOVE to be present at such an audition.

For the record, the TORI is on my (very) short list as well.

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #6 - 03/17/08 at 18:14:31

My point exactly Musgofasa. I just did not spell it out twice because Veryoldcat did above on the Headroom etc.... .  I want the Torii too because of the different animal thing....etc... . Why could he not audition both in his system=handensco will just have to pay a restock fee on one of them?!

Handensco, the SE34I.2 is not to be overlooked neither.  I just reread Steve's paper on the changes to that and why.... .  Steve's archived papers are awesome if you have not read them already.

Stone of Tone  8-)

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall