Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 12:21:12 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gain knob on Select super sensitive? (Read 8315 times)
chalun823
Verified Member

Gain knob on Select super sensitive?
03/04/08 at 07:10:33

I just received my SE84ZS today, love the sound! I am just wondering if anyone has this "issue" that I am experiencing. The gain/volume knob is way too sensitive to what I am used to. There is no volume at all when turned all the way down (of course), but once I move the knob just a very tiny little bit, its already too loud.

My room is pretty small, and I live in an apartment so I am somewhat concious about volume. My setup is a rega apollo cd player (outputs 2volts), the select, then diy 8" fostex drivers.

Obviously I will not consider it a problem, maybe it is something that I just need to get used to? Perhaps I have too much gain and should try a different input tube? Anyone else experience this? Thanks!

IP Logged
jonjin
Ex Member

Re: Gain knob on Select super sensitive?
Reply #1 - 03/04/08 at 10:20:01

I'm a newbie myself, but to ask a stupid question - did you plug the Rega into the variable input leads and not the fixed input leads?

JJ

IP Logged
chalun823
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 03/04/08 at 10:31:37

JJ,

I didn't think that will be the problem since I thought input variable means " signal goes through the volume control located at the front of the se84zs", as stated in the manual. I guess the manual is somewhat misleading... "problem" fixed now...thank you!

I feel like such a noob  :-[

IP Logged
Nick OSiris
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 02/22/12 at 12:04:26

Well.

I know this thread is several years old but I agree that the manual is slightly confusing to us poor knuckle dragging noobs. My manual says: "Variable input means the signal goes through the volume control located on the front of the amp" which I took to mean that if I want to utilise the amp volume knob, then variable is the socket to use. As of five minutes ago I realise that the opposite is true. Just in time as well, as I was about to pack the unit up and return it to the seller (I snagged it second-hand on Ebay).

Now, on with the listening....

Dynavector DV20XH > Roksan Radius 5/Nima > Consonance PM2 > Audion Silver Night MkII Anniversary w/ Fullmusic 300B/c & Siemens Halske CCa > Decware ERR

Also Wells Audio Milo > Audeze LCD-4 for headphone listening.
  IP Logged
Nick OSiris
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 02/22/12 at 12:11:16

...and just as a footnote: I didn't have the same symptoms as the OP when using the wrong input sockets. The volume knob DID increase and decrease the volume, it's just that there was no bass until the volume reached a certain level. Never enough bass to make it listenable though.

Ok you are free to go and roll your eyes and tut-tut knowingly about my stupidity now.  ::)

Dynavector DV20XH > Roksan Radius 5/Nima > Consonance PM2 > Audion Silver Night MkII Anniversary w/ Fullmusic 300B/c & Siemens Halske CCa > Decware ERR

Also Wells Audio Milo > Audeze LCD-4 for headphone listening.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print