Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE84CS with Fostex (Read 12626 times)
jonjin
Ex Member

SE84CS with Fostex
02/19/08 at 00:32:00

Hi,

I'm using a Fostex FE167E in simple bass reflex enclosures. The impedance quoted is 8 ohm but I notice on the impedance charts that it actually ranges from 8-16 ohm. Will this be a problem for the SE84?

Ta in advance.

JJ

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Re: SE84CS with Fostex
Reply #1 - 02/19/08 at 03:22:02

For several yrs, I used a pair of MLTL's, with FE167E's with my Select. Plenty of volume for me, a very nice match, IMHO.
                                                                                                                        Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #2 - 02/19/08 at 03:42:27

Hi JJ,

Many SE84C (or CS) owners report great results driving 4 1/2", 6" or 8" Fostex full range drivers. In fact, I'd say statistically that those are possibly the most common drivers in use by SE84C/S owners. Right now my SE84CS is driving FE126's and it sounds ABSOLUTELY SUPERB just as it does with my PARKER 98's, and with this same amp I will soon drive a pair of FE166's, almost the same as your FE167's. I'd say my PARKER 98's offer the highest headroom (perhaps another 3 db; noticeable but I haven't measured) over the Fostex's due their unusual 2 ohm load.

Some folks swap the stock transformers for what Decware calls "ex" transformers, especially for driving single 8 ohm full-rangers like your FE167's (nearly the same as the FE166's I plan to drive). It is said the amplifier equipped with the "ex" tranny can operate with a bit less effort with the Fostex full-range drivers.

In a month or so, I'll post as to whether I feel the need for the "ex" trannies or not with the FE166's, but the FE126's (Fostex 4 1/2" full-range) make relatively similar impedance and power demands on the amplifier and sound absolutely WONDERFUL with the stock SE84CS.

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
jonjin
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/19/08 at 10:25:37

Thanks for the replies. I think it has helped me make my decision  ;)

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #4 - 02/19/08 at 13:43:11

Howdy JJ,

Welcome to the forum .....  :)

I have a pair of Ed Schilling's Horns with the Fostex FE126E drivers.  They work very nicely with my Decware Select amplifier.

Adding a CSP2 preamplifier takes the sound up several notches.  The sound is more effortless and "muscular" while retaining the sonic attributes that make the Decware SV83/EL84 amplifiers so musical and quick.

I also have a pair of the Fostex recommended bass reflex bookshelf speakers found here.
The CSP2/Select combo also drives these speakers very well.

I have never been a big fan of active preamps, but the CSP2 does nothing but good things for the Select and it should work very well with your speakers and amplifier.

Best wishes,

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
jonjin
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/26/08 at 19:51:51

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've now got my hands on a SE84CWS. Can't wait to get them into the system but will have to wait until I'm back home (currently working outstation).  :)

I can't seem to find any info on the cWs version though? This one was built in 2002 if that's of any help.

JJ

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #6 - 02/27/08 at 20:04:09

The most likely reason for the "W" designation is your ps transformer may be for "world wide voltages". You'd need a "world" voltage tranny according to the Union Jack in your signature, no?

I'm betting your SE84CWS is otherwise identical to an SE84CS, unless someone has hacked and modded it.

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
jonjin
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/01/08 at 09:55:04

Thanks...

Just plugged this into my system now... SqueezeBox>SE84CS>DIY Fostex FE167E (21L box)
Wow... I was speechless and grinning for a long while.
The amp gave so much more clarity and insight into the music.
Soundstage is also huge and seamless.
But I guess you guys know all this already...  :D

JJ

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/01/08 at 16:49:39

I use the 84cs with a pair of 126's and I have no desire to change other than to just build another pair of speakers.
I would like to add the decware preamp one day and that would be my only desire that I think I need.
I was gifted the 84cs by a kind Decware member and it has made me very happy for many moons now.
This amp provides all the volume that I need for what I listen to.
The Fostex and the 84 make great music together!

I keep talking about a Sub but never seem to get around to it. I have all the parts sitting around for about a year gathering dust. I started listening to some music that is more bass intensive lately and might get to it this summer. But not if it ruins the detail and balance that I have now.

An Ex Bass head that says that he would sacrifice bass to retain the quality that I experience now, Ahh whats the world coming to. I blame it on the the CS Fostex combo.

At least I have my DB12 in a car for those moments out and about. If it was not built out of MDF I would try it in the house but I doubt it would blend with my 126 horns anyway.

Enjoy

And to those who know me. yes I reset my user!

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #9 - 03/01/08 at 19:20:49

Gex: What cabs have you got the 126's in ?
Don (not surprised you happy with your combo!)

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
paulc
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/01/08 at 19:24:07

and now gex, if you could get your avitar back.

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #11 - 03/01/08 at 19:36:27

jonjin wrote on 03/01/08 at 09:55:04:
Thanks...

Just plugged this into my system now... SqueezeBox>SE84CS>DIY Fostex FE167E (21L box)
Wow... I was speechless and grinning for a long while.
The amp gave so much more clarity and insight into the music.
Soundstage is also huge and seamless.
But I guess you guys know all this already...  :D

JJ

(hi gex--long time no hear/here  :-?  hope stuff is good)

Yes, the Select is MARVELOUSLY transparent and quick, by itself, and shines with a single full range driver. I listened to it that way for more than a year, and was never disappointed. I've tried many amps without a pre, but the Decware has had the best *straight in from a line level source* sound I've personally had (such as a cd player or tuner).

That said, the Decware line level pre lends a worthwhile sense of body and weight to the sound, and is worth considering at some point if your budget allows. I find my Decware CSP to be particularly helpful with cd playback.

Just my 2

˘....

Happy listening,
Karl

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/02/08 at 05:27:59

Doorman. third one down on this page. http://www.frugal-horn.com/gallery.html
I was in a hurry to get a pair up and running and I simplified the design even further. The 126's are Daves modded and I added some more damping to the basket.

paulc. My avatar! well I did have the real me up for awhile but I miss the beaker one. I am not sure what I will go to next.

veryoldcat. Stuff is going. still looking forward to getting everything set up in a proper room. Audio has hit some slow going, But there is always tomorrow. This summer may present a big house cleaning which will lead to a HT/Listening room.
Its an ongoing hope for about two years now!
We will have hopes of clearing out our dead stock from our business that kinda of bottomed out and died last year when my wife got sick. When that is gone a world of possibilities open up.
The CSP will come after that.

I do love the way the mix is now.

IP Logged
jonjin
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/02/08 at 11:18:47

veryoldcat wrote on 03/01/08 at 19:36:27:
(hi gex--long time no hear/here  :-?  hope stuff is good)

Yes, the Select is MARVELOUSLY transparent and quick, by itself, and shines with a single full range driver. I listened to it that way for more than a year, and was never disappointed. I've tried many amps without a pre, but the Decware has had the best *straight in from a line level source* sound I've personally had (such as a cd player or tuner).

That said, the Decware line level pre lends a worthwhile sense of body and weight to the sound, and is worth considering at some point if your budget allows. I find my Decware CSP to be particularly helpful with cd playback.

Just my 2

˘....

Happy listening,
Karl

Thanks Karl... I'm finding this forum to be full of nice, friendly people.
Will consider the pre/line stage at some point. I'm sure the upgraditis will be kicking in...  ;)
I'm already thinking of some Vcaps!

JJ

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print