03/29/24 at 10:39:36 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DBK212 sounds great (Read 7349 times)
bayrat
Ex Member

DBK212 sounds great
02/15/08 at 17:28:53

Well,  I built the DBK212 a couple of months ago. I put in a 2 12's that were really really on the cheap side. I had asked for input on the comparison of 1 DB10 with a decent sub to the DBK212 with 2 cheasy subs. I finaly put the speaker to work. I ended up using with a plate amp rated at 135 watts at 8 ohms. I am not sure of the rating on the vioce coils on the 12s but the amp plays them wired in parallel. As for the sound, I wanted to have some extra low end when listening to music at low levels due to the WAF. All I can say is jeeez, this thing performs. I have 2 Infinity SM150s for my stereo. These have 2 15s but I believe the low end of the frequency response is some where around 40. The DBK212 goes well below that at low volume. I have to tweak the volume on the plate amp to keep it down. Its only been a week or so, and I cant wait to get the house to myself to crank this thing up. Even with the cheap plate amp, the cheesey speakers, this thing really performs well. And to think I was going to go out and buy one of those high dollar subs at Best Buy. I have built several of Decware boxes, the HW, DB10, the Wedge, and now the DBK212, and all of the boxes have surpassed my expectations. So now I think I am ready for the WO, it just seems so complicated with all the angles. But after the performance of the rest of the boxes, this one has to be good too. I guess I am going to have to post some pics one of these days.

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Re: DBK212 sounds great
Reply #1 - 02/15/08 at 19:03:43

Glad to see you are having success with your builds. Money is always tight and buying el-cheapo subs is sometimes the only alternative. A fellow by the name of ADRIAN told me that one high quality sub would perform better than two cheapos any day of the week. Being hard headed I did not take his advice seriously. I built enclosure after enclosure and just could not find the sound I was looking or should I say listening for. I built myself a WO36 and put four cheaper than crap woofers in it and was please with the performance. Finally the "Adrian light bulb turn on" and I thought what if I put something a little higher end into the WO36. I know I am going the long way around but I am sitting at work with nothing to do. Anyway after installing a pair of Dayton HOs in the WO36 there was no comparison. From that day foward I have went the extra mile and invested in good quality subs for each of my builds. Don't get me wrong the cheapos are a descent place to start but in the end the big boys will always sound louder and play lower. If I am going to the trouble to build a WO I would haft to spend the money to buy a quality sub. I would be willing to bet if you replaced the cheapos with a better grade sub you would be even more impressed with the DB12. Just my two cents hope it helps.

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
bayrat
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/15/08 at 21:03:50

sounds like a plan..I managed to get the 3rd bedroom in the house for my office/media room.  As it is I have way to much stuff in there. My next move is to just dump it out and start over with one system. For now I have 2 complete and separtate systems, (talk about crowded) 1 for movies, the other is a good old fashion stereo for listening to music. Its hard to fing a good 2 channel amp with a tape monitor loop in it now days. I would like to incorporate one speaker system for both. Wouldnt that be nice. I am an electrician by trade so my next option/idea is too build a relay box in order to switch between the 2 systems. And as I build one project, that takes away room for more. At one time I had picked up 4 Cerwin Vegas with 15s, but no room, so they had to go. I have a pair of Audiobahn DVCs that are going into the DBK212 next. I even had a HW crammed into the corner at one time. Wheww at the bass.

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/16/08 at 06:35:31

bayrat,

Nice to read that!
I have a DB 10" and already I'm impressed by the capability's of it, just using basic Monacor woofers in iso-baric. (using it for sub on the TV now)
So the DB12 must even be much more impressive.

Have fun! Smiley

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #4 - 02/16/08 at 12:27:22

I know what you mean by things are getting crowded. Build after build and eventually you run out of room. I notice you are going to build a WO. I can just about bet you be happy with its performance. As far as the angles being diffcult, I found myself practicing on scrap pieces alot to get the right cut. With the enclosures you have already built I don't think you will have a problem with the WO.

GOOD LUCK!!!

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print