Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 19:18:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Almost nine years old and the first problem. (Read 4720 times)
Terry
Ex Member

Almost nine years old and the first problem.
02/03/08 at 05:39:24

I have two Selects, and the one that I completely redid I was using the original volume pot in, it has been the principle means of volume control for a solid nine years in my system.  After nine years of use, heavy use I might add, the volume pot failed, this caused an oscillation with the input tube and I lost one channel of my Amperex Bugle boy 6DJ8.  Losing the tube was the unfortunate part of it all.  But after nine years this is the only problem I have had with this amp, not bad in my opinion, nothing last forever and things you use a LOT you expect to have more problems with.  Other than our 1986 Honda Accord which we retired just this week (going through that aweful experience of buy a new car, I don't like buy cars.) the SE84 amp has been one of the most reliable pieces of equipment in my life.  If for no other reason than this it is an exceptional value, but what good is something if you don't use it often right, and this amp got used every day, sometimes it ran 24/7 for months on end.

Today I took apart the pot and it was well used over nine years.  I had moved it to the front of the chassis for my own convenience.  Not bad after all this time.  I should have done something about it because it was getting scratchy but I just thought it was dirty.  Next time I hear a pot getting scratchy I will change it right away.   So if you have a scratchy pot change it immediately.

I wish other things in my life had this kind of track record.

TG

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Almost nine years old and the first problem.
Reply #1 - 02/03/08 at 19:03:06

This is a testament to good quality, running counter to the Best Buy black box throw away culture.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Terry
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/04/08 at 16:30:44

That is something I never thought of as well, this amp could be REPAIRED.  I had an RCA TV that quit on my last month, the way it was built I could not repair it unless I wanted to spend several hundred dollars (more than the original asking price of the TV) replacing the main PCB in the unit.  Most of the PCB didn't have anything to do with the problem but they don't sell some of the key parts you need to replace to fix the thing.  Back when I went through electronics training you could go down and buy the Sam's photo facts and trouble shoot and repair any TV, now things have changed.  It is all disposable not intended to be repaired.   Although I must say  this todays TV's are more reliable than the old tube sets, just when the break you have to buy a new one.

So anyway it is nice to have something that can actually be repaired for not a lot of money.  I did lose on triode in the vintage Amperex 6DJ8, but I have more.  I just treat those tubes like gold because once they are all gone, they are gone forever.

TG

IP Logged
Eli Duttman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/04/08 at 18:03:53

Quote:
I did lose on triode in the vintage Amperex 6DJ8, but I have more.  I just treat those tubes like gold because once they are all gone, they are gone forever.

Terry,

The voice of the JJ E88CC is fairly close to the voice of the Philips made tubes.  The JJ is the "tone" tube, if costs are to be in the realm of rationality.

I'm sure Jim McShane can set you up with JJs that have been properly screened for noise and microphonics, without causing you to file for bankruptcy.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print