Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 22:11:11 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How can a WickedOne be less loud than a ported box (Read 9554 times)
firepinch
Ex Member

How can a WickedOne be less loud than a ported box
01/30/08 at 03:57:41

I found this in the forum at the last page: "The RE spec'ed ported box I built was 2 db louder than the WO with the same drivers.  The WO sounded WAY better, but not louder."

Why? So finally, the choice of drivers can make a HUUUGE difference of how a Wicked One can pound? The Wicked One is a kind of horn so supposedly, it should be quite more powerfull than a ported box! Maybe the installation of the guy? I just don't get it for now...  :-/

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Re: How can a WickedOne be less loud than a ported
Reply #1 - 01/30/08 at 18:08:22

WO is a sealed Band Pass configuration. The horn (or expanding port) helps make it more efficient, but does not help control driver excursion at any particular freuquency.

A ported box will have a lot higher efficiency at the tuning frequency which makes it louder.

The bottom line for SPL is the amount of power and the amount of efficiency. If a system is 100db efficient (as example) and you put 200 watts on it, it will be louder than the same 200 watts on a 90db efficient system. Of course, if the more efficient system will handle 2000 watts and you have 2000 watts to put on it, it will be louder.

The issue becomes the environment the cabinet is in. It can also be the equipment in question. With high powered subs, you typically can't get too much power so making the enclosure/ environment combo more efficient is the main goal to take advantage of the power at hand.

Hope that was what you were looking for.

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
aznboi3644
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/31/08 at 03:56:38

The WO is a great design.

The mistake most people make is that they just arbitrarily place the baffle boards somewhere in the loading chamber without doing any calculations for the optimum placement for the candidate subwoofers.

"Wingin it" is what makes people have unsatisfactory results

IP Logged
djman37
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/23/08 at 00:28:15

sounds like my old post.  the sealed space was modeled correctly, it just didn't work out better on the TL.  I'd take the WO over a ported box anyday.

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/24/08 at 05:36:46

firepinch wrote on 01/30/08 at 03:57:41:
I found this in the forum at the last page: "The RE spec'ed ported box I built was 2 db louder than the WO with the same drivers.  The WO sounded WAY better, but not louder."

Why? So finally, the choice of drivers can make a HUUUGE difference of how a Wicked One can pound? The Wicked One is a kind of horn so supposedly, it should be quite more powerfull than a ported box! Maybe the installation of the guy? I just don't get it for now...  :-/

36x36?

IP Logged
djman37
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/07/08 at 21:21:45

60_and_up wrote on 03/24/08 at 05:36:46:
36x36?

IF he's talking about my post, I made a  30x36 scaled taller for 12s.

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/08/08 at 00:28:29

djman37 wrote on 04/07/08 at 21:21:45:
IF he's talking about my post, I made a  30x36 scaled taller for 12s.

the smaller you make it the quieter it gets.

36x36 is loudest.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print