Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 21:36:39 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tuning, Phonic PAA3 or PAA2, chamber volume, etc. (Read 4132 times)
a10299
Ex Member

Tuning, Phonic PAA3 or PAA2, chamber volume, etc.
01/03/08 at 03:31:46

as the quest for the much anticipated HWK of mine nears, i find myself in the need of some technical knowledge about tuning. I realize the experimenting is the best way to get different results, but i want it the be its best. I have access to a PAA3 which can give me analysis of the HWK's performance, my question is what to do with the data, how to optimize the design to get good tuning in the teens. Im using two Dayton DVC 15's. also, any suggestions for improved tuning welcome. Thank you in advance to any replies.

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Re: Tuning, Phonic PAA3 or PAA2, chamber volume, e
Reply #1 - 01/03/08 at 13:07:54

I think the main obstacle with with any sub is room placement or the location that best suites the listener's taste. I am unsure of what you will be using the HWK for but your set up(HWK/Daytons DVCs) looks very good for just about everything. The Phonic PAA2 is a very handy device. I use the PAA2 to tune all the HT speakers and subs to play to a certain level at my designated listen area. This might not be the best all around tuning for everyone in the room but is just before perfect for the "Captain's Chair". The PAA2 is used to get the desired tuning of the enclosure by running repeated sweeps from 100Hz to 20Hz (DVD Essentials test disc) setting the PAA2 about three foot away from the enclosure. By changing bottom ports I was able to tune for low tuning/ low power HT operation. After placing the enclosure in the only spot it would fit I had to tune it to operate with the other subs. Adjusting phase, crossover, and gain on the plate amp was done repeatedly until the desire tuning was reached. There are a number of test you can do with the Phonic. First find the speaker allignment you like best and then determine the best room location for the enclosure. Then test, test, and test again. If I can help with more specfic info let me know.

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print