03/28/24 at 15:35:20 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Scaling.....up (Read 13080 times)
Jet-Lee
Seasoned Member

Scaling.....up
11/28/07 at 22:58:09

What could I expect if I made it 32" x 48", roughly 33% larger than a 24" x 36", but kept the height at 13.5"?

Any ideas?

Steve?

Or....

What if the entire shape was changed, but flare rate and length kept the same, as well as volumes in front and behind the drivers?

Better?

Worse?

Same?

Thanks guys!

WWW e3_wizard jetleeamc   IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Seasoned Member

Re: Scaling.....up
Reply #1 - 11/30/07 at 13:27:13

Hmm....I'll just save this thread and enable e-mail notify. I mean, the responses are pouring in so fast I can't keep up.

40s_and_deaf
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/01/07 at 01:24:47

Maybe people are wondering what you're trying to achieve by altering the dimensions before they pipe up with their thoughts?

If it's a case of increasing the gain of the enclosure, trying to accommodate larger drivers or maybe restrictions on space available for the enclosure then fair enough.

In my case I posted a request for thoughts on extending the horn by folding it back over the top surface of the enclosure to increase the lower reach and possibly extra output.....at the end of the day just build it and see.....I've got half an inch of mdf dust on my garage floor so it's happening here.....wife says she'll bury me in the thing though as I've already built umpteen speaker boxes and what was wrong with those? Huh

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/03/07 at 13:45:10

Achieve? Me? SPL.

My current box, a 32x36 WO  made from 2x12's is LOUD. Not metered, because I wasn't able to afford it at the time. Now I'm doing VERY well for myself, and want something more. I compete in the local shows (when I have the $$) and intend on winning.

Those 2 10's in a 32x36 (which is probably more like 26x30 after thickness of wood is subtracted) make the cd player skip and do your breathing for you.

Just looking for opinions/facts before I go dedicating that much wood/time, especially in 30º weather.

Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/05/07 at 22:28:46

i remember someone fitted 15's in the wo. big-air was one of them. can't remember the otherone, but it was rather recent.
someone must have tried serious moding  [smiley=10.gif]

IP Logged
Mircea
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/09/07 at 21:06:22

sorry for the offtopic  :-[
adrian imi poti da un pm si mie sau cumva sa iei legatura cu mine id de mess arion.mircea e de yahoo ..... mersi mult , ca nu ma lasa sa dau pm
mersi mult

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/10/07 at 13:54:14

Mircea wrote on 12/09/07 at 21:06:22:
sorry for the offtopic  :-[
adrian imi poti da un pm si mie sau cumva sa iei legatura cu mine id de mess arion.mircea e de yahoo ..... mersi mult , ca nu ma lasa sa dau pm
mersi mult

That's what PM's are for.

Mircea
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/11/07 at 12:31:22

sorry but i am new on this forum, so i ain`t allowed to PM, at least thats what it said to me when i tried Sad ...
off topic again ... sorry  :-[

IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/11/07 at 19:41:18

Jet-Lee wrote on 12/10/07 at 13:54:14:
That's what PM's are for.

fixed Smiley
sorry for the "interruption"
and i told you there was someone else that scaled for 15's :
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1178910167
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1165631914

other ideas :
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1160835651

IP Logged
Parker
Verified Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 12/12/07 at 13:13:59

My 02 after building a few WO's is that while they are different than your average box you'll still see some of the same effects of size in relation to tuning etc.

For a car SPL comp I don't know if you'd want to tune them very low at all, so a larger box might not be necessary. Other than building several and trying them out I don't know what to tell you.

I've made em for 10's 8's and 12's and did it the same way each time. I took steves design as a reference and then scaled them up based on a percentage of cone area. Many people just look at is as a 12" sub is 2" bigger than a ten. But it's a bit more complicated than that. So far in life I've found that ratios and percentages are far more accurate when replicating something with predictability than half-baked math.

So for my 12's box it was something like 45" wide (can't really remember now). You want to scale in all directions not just one. As a generality I think a sub with a higher fs would suit you better and would lend it self to being louder in a smaller box. If you were making a home theater sub I'd pick something with a lower fs.  

If you find a good frequency in your car you could really make the thing loud by tuning a few PR's to the sealed section of the WO. Checkout TC sounds new products, they're called AudioPulse. tcsounds.com I wound't port it bc a PR overs so many advantages, heck even if you find it doesn't work you can still seal it up and make it look okay, but if you've made a panel port you don't have this option.

Good luck man.

I've been thinking about doing a WO with a pair of 15" high eff pro audio type speaks for a HT I think that would rock.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 12/12/07 at 13:46:31

Adrian, I never disregarded your suggestion(I actually went and looked through some of Big Air's posts), but thank you for the additional links.

Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 12/12/07 at 21:05:12

You're welcome.
We should get a sticky with all the interesting threads related to moding Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print