04/20/24 at 12:57:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Extended horn (Read 5780 times)
40s_and_deaf
Ex Member

Extended horn
11/23/07 at 17:59:42

Hi all I'm new to this forum having trawled the web looking for a suitable enclosure design that will make use of a pair of ten inch subs I'm currently running sealed that if they don't buck their ideas up will be gathering dust back in the garage loft space.

I might be optimistic but with each sub getting about 350 watts rms I was expecting some sort of output in the high 20Hz low 30's, would this be a reasonable expectation from a WO enclosure at 36" by 36" with these same PBX Evo 10's as most posts here indicate the 36" version of the box to drop lower?

To this end as the box seems to be two bandpass enclosures with a shared horn fixed at the exit of the slot port on each BP box would extending the horn by folding it back over the top of the whole original enclosure ie. the 36" square box from the exiting throat and continuing the flare at admittedly not quite the same rate but nearly and onwards another 36" to the new exit leaving the new box 36" square still but now 24" high....effectively adding a second storey? Huh

I haven't built the box yet but have a small MPV van so am limited more by width in the vehicle than height leading me to my current line of thought....the other motive to give these tens another chance is that I still have my JL 13W7 glowering in a spare bedroom which if these two can't shape up will go back in another large ported box and get my rumble back to where it was in the previous vehicle.

Couple of pics just to show I do build....well bodge and this is what I want to match on low end and hopefully at similar outputs as power is nearly the same watt per watt, apologies for the long post but I figure a scatter gun response is called for Wink Cheers,Dave.

IP Logged
40s_and_deaf
Ex Member

Re: Extended horn
Reply #1 - 11/24/07 at 23:59:14

Anyone?

Again my line of reasoning with extending the horn in length is to make it resonant nearer to a quarter of a wave of the desired frequency which would probably be about 25 Hz and should plumb the depths on some types of music......yes/no?

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/25/07 at 10:31:04

Just a guess here:
The circumference of the mouth should be twice as large.
This would mean: doubling the height and width of the WO.
Possibly the depth too.
But it's not a horn, so everything is a guess.
Even if it was a horn, I still couldn't tell you how to do it, just guessing.

Bart

IP Logged
40s_and_deaf
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/25/07 at 10:50:53

Cheers for the reply Bart, I was thinking of maintaining the flare in the horizontal plane only as per the original design....as it stands one plane is parallel and the other flaring at a given rate.

I guess apart from wasting some mdf on an upper deck to the WO I'll have to build and report back....I was hoping somebody might wade in and say whether the design relies on the horn acting the way I want it to or whether this will be another of my lost weekends in the shed turning an 8 by 4 sheet of 18 mm mdf into off cuts and dust. Undecided

Another thought and as the walls of the port are parallel in one direction (top and bottom) this will possibly support standing waves at some harmonic are there any users lining the horn with say rubber carpet underlay or something like that to break up this surface?

So many questions but not having any experience of the WO while knowing what I want to hear from an enclosure it would be good to know that the WO will plumb the depths that say a similar scoop type design won't.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print