Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 20:17:00 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Building tube system around Decware DM944s (Read 6655 times)
renderman
Ex Member

Building tube system around Decware DM944s
10/28/07 at 05:22:30

Smiley Hello all, I am brand new to the Decware forums and also brand new to owning a tube amp of any kind... and... I have a few questions...

I have a few theoretical set ups in mind, since this will be strictly a listening setup, I picked the speakers first and worked my way backwards. They will each be about 3 feet away from my ears, and 4 feet apart from eachother on my computer desk.

The speakers I will be powering are Decware DM944 Monitors. They are rated at 4ohm nominal impedance and between 2 - 100 watts. High Efficiency, 8in. driver, look great, etc...

--

Setup one: DAC > Decware SE84C 2w/ch. Tube Amp > DM944 Monitors

or

Setup two: DAC > ZBox > Decware SE84C 2w/ch. Tube Amp > DM944 Monitors

1: Will I get the same effect that the Zbox offers with only the SE84C tube amp? Or will I have to have both to get the benefit of the ZBox?

also

2: Will this SE84C Tube amp power the DM944 monitors nicely? or would you recommend the SE84ZS? (I'm guessing the obvious answer is yes to the SE84C, but I listen to music pretty loud every once in a while, and would like to have some nice clean loud sound(aka a bit of nice overhead).)

--

This next setup is not exactly a tube set up but would like your feed back please with a cherry on top:

Setup three: DAC > Decware ZBox > Bryston 2B Amp > DM944 Monitors

3: General feedback would be nice, I think they would power the DM944's nicely, and the ZBox would refine the DAC analog signal.

The Bryston 2B is conservatively rated at 100w @4ohms. (I've head one, they sound amazing.)

4: On the Decware product page of the DM944s, it says "Combine this performance advantage with the coherency gained by eliminating the crossover and you have a speaker fully adept at showing off the merits of a really fine tube amplifier."

Does this mean If I did go with a tube amp I would be better off eliminating the crossover? How or why would a tube amp be able to get away with this? Seems interesting.

So that's my story! The DAC half of my setup I'll post about in the Digital Sources Forum. But any other suggestions please give me some feedback as I am new to tube amps. I'm definitely willing to take the plunge into tube-land with the SE84C.

Thanks a bunch!

IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Re: Building tube system around Decware DM944s
Reply #1 - 10/28/07 at 14:49:43

Great choice.

John C.

IP Logged
renderman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/28/07 at 23:49:30

Wow, they look beautiful, what are you powering them with?

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/29/07 at 19:06:07

rendermen, welcome.  With that proximity, the SE84C will be more than enough power and will even be able to crank.  Step back a ways and you may need a little more for the higher volumes but listening at a few feet you'll get plenty of volume.

Dave

IP Logged
renderman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/30/07 at 15:38:52

Thank's for the tip Dave. In the picture it looks like each speaker is being powered by a single SE84ZS in mono, very nice.

Another question about the zBox..  [smiley=10.gif]  Is it possible to split the output of the zbox between several amps? Or will this degrade the signal by being shared between components.

Thanks again!

IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/03/07 at 05:32:53

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print