Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 09:19:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tannoy GRF cabinet = mini Imperial? (Read 7013 times)
tubino
Ex Member

Tannoy GRF cabinet = mini Imperial?
10/22/07 at 02:08:30

I just bought these speakers yesterday, and today I pulled the grills to find this:

Cute, no? Dimensions overall are 42" h x 24" w x 18" deep, so they are small compared to Imperials, but they claim in the old brochures that this horn loads it to 35 cps. Shya right.  But one thing is sure: they are a lot of fun to listen to!   Even with this cobbled-together system, they ROCK!  

I need to pull out the deHavilland 845 amps to really hear these things sing.

IP Logged
tubino
Ex Member

Re: Tannoy GRF cabinet = mini Imperial?
Reply #1 - 10/22/07 at 23:46:56

Found a side view drawing of the Tannoy GRF rectangular box (not the corner horn version):

I got to listen to my new pair a bunch today.  They aren't the last word in really deep bass, but they are GREAT for jazz stuff like Coltrane. Stand-up bass is tops.  Friend is telling me I should put my Imperials on their sides in my future basement listening room, with mouths at corners, use them exclusively for SUB use with a true sealed driver (no front radiator), put the GRFs on TOP of them with a nice 15 other than the Tannoy dual concentrics, then a big horn on top of that for high frequency.

He's nuts, but ... can't help thinking about it.   Tongue  That would be a system of big dynamics.

IP Logged
paulc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/23/07 at 02:26:27

Very COOL!

I love vintage speakers. Character!

IP Logged
Gexter
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/24/07 at 00:00:51

man o man

I am not chatting to much these days, but I just got to say thats way too cool.
You have no idea how much I wish I was in your shoes.

fantastic find.

I must have a set for my Garage Smiley

EDIT:  would you happen to have the measurements of the unit ( specs ) for my data base of speakers. Smiley

IP Logged
tubino
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/24/07 at 03:11:01

Gexter wrote on 10/24/07 at 00:00:51:
man o man

I am not chatting to much these days, but I just got to say thats way too cool.
You have no idea how much I wish I was in your shoes.

EDIT:  would you happen to have the measurements of the unit ( specs ) for my data base of speakers. Smiley

Do you mean the DRIVER specs or the dimensions of the cabinet?  Here is the brochure portion:

And the 15" Monitor Gold specs:

I'm still kind of in shock at my luck. These were sitting on the Columbus Ohio Craigslist for WEEKS before someone mentioned it to me. Believe me, I was on the phone with the guy VERY soon, and committed to buying them very soon after that.  Drove 2.5 hrs to get there, too, so it's not like I stumbled on these at a neighborhood yard sale. I have NO IDEA why they lasted more than a few days in a large-ish city.  

I didn't know all the Tannoy models, but I knew I wanted a pair of 15" Monitor Golds, and was not likely to ever get a good working pair for under a grand without a lot of luck.   That I got a pair of sweet little 6' folded horn cabinets with them, walnut veneer, from the original owner, is just so much the better!

Here's an indication of the kind of use they got:  the owner's record collection included John Klemmer, the Captain and Tenille, easy/light jazz.  These things have never been driven over 50 mph.

IP Logged
Gexter
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/24/07 at 04:21:43

dimensions of the cabinet but the other stuff was a handy post.
Enjoy!

IP Logged
tubino
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/24/07 at 04:51:33

Gexter wrote on 10/24/07 at 04:21:43:
dimensions of the cabinet but the other stuff was a handy post.
Enjoy!

Thanks, I am definitely enjoying them!  Here are more cabinet specs from the rest of the brochure, which includes the GRF Professional, Autograph and Autograph Professional, and Cornetta:

http://tubino.smugmug.com/gallery/3684022#210719219-O-LB:

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print