03/29/24 at 14:02:00 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DeathBox Questions (Read 5694 times)
SnakeFingers
Ex Member

DeathBox Questions
09/30/07 at 12:40:55

I downloaded the plans and I'm getting ready to build my first DB. The plans seem clear enough, but I do have a few questions I'm hoping someone can answer:

Design
1. Is the DB a wierd kind of horn or a bandpass box. (If this is explaned somewhere, I missed it- sorry.) Is the quarter moon shaped cutout a port?

Constructing a DB
1. It seems like the edges of the cutout should be rounded, at least on the outside. Anyone have experience with this? Good idea - bad idea?

Using a DB at Home
1. Construction notes say to tune the DB on its side, and the illustrations had the cutout pointing up. This makes sense as it allows the end to removed and the slider adjusted to tune the DB. But once the DB is tuned, how should it be oriented? On its side w/ cutout up? On its end w/ cutout at the floor? On its end w/ cutout at the top?

2. Can I expect the usual sorts of coupling gains from if a DB placed 6-8" from a wall with the cutout aimed at the wall?

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Re: DeathBox Questions
Reply #1 - 10/01/07 at 03:28:51

yes to everything.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/02/07 at 02:58:01

To answer the questions that are not yes/no

D1) Bandpass

C1) I don't see a benefit to rounding the edges other than aesthetics, but I rounded mine(WAF).

U1) I tuned mine standing upright, and use it as so, about 4-5 inches from the wall, about 2-2.5 feet from a corner, with the port facing the wall.

I'm using mine for HT. Any bass that is directional (>90hz) seems to be coming from the TV despite the subwoofer being at the other end of the wall. Pretty cool. People don't even notice the subwoofer until I point it out when they ask how my 126's are producing such low bass. Looking to revamp my HT though, but that's for a different thread.

WWW e3_wizard jetleeamc   IP Logged
SnakeFingers
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/02/07 at 04:03:53

Thanks Jet.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print