Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 06:03:17 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What amp for Omega Hemptones? (Read 7618 times)
Scrapiron
Ex Member

What amp for Omega Hemptones?
09/21/07 at 17:00:04

I've been researching different amps to use with my Omega Hemptones (MkII drivers). They're 96db 8" hemp single driver x-overless speakers. I have they currently paired with a Cary SLI-80. The sound is a bit mushed, flat, etc. So I'm looking into either SET or SEP amps.

My listening room is 21x12x8. The speakers face down the long way. I listen about 7.5 feet away. Typical music is acoustical, female vocals, jazz. I usually listen after the kids go to sleep, so I'm not blasting the music. There are occasions the wife and kids want to dance, so in goes the Village People (or whatever) and they dance.  I'm looking for a good sense of PRaT, depth, soundstaging, and my feet are tapping. Smiley

I listen to 80% vinyl (Sota Sapphire>Graham 1.5t>AES PH-1 phono amp).

Would the Taboo be "too much"? Do I need the ex version of the SE84c? How is the CSP2 paired with either?

I've been leaning towards a Fi X (with 2A3 and/or 45) and a TVC preamp.

Thanks-
Skot

IP Logged
Tish
Ex Member

Re: What amp for Omega Hemptones?
Reply #1 - 09/21/07 at 17:54:57

Hi Skot,   Take a look in the classified section here, there is a Taboo and a CSP preamp for sale. I think this would be a good match for your system. My opinion is that a 2A3 or a 45 amp will not have the PRat or toe tapping abilities that a Decware amp has.           Tish

IP Logged
Scrapiron
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/24/07 at 13:54:38

Thanks Tish. I went ahead and picked up Brad's TABOO and CSP. I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do with the Omega's.

-Skot

IP Logged
MikeW
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/24/07 at 17:43:29

Scrapiron wrote on 09/21/07 at 17:00:04:
they currently paired with a Cary SLI-80. The sound is a bit mushed, flat, etc. So I'm looking into either SET or SEP amps.

While there is some NFB is the Cary circuit to contend with, it is hard to imagine a mushed flat sound with the SLI-80. While one might prefer the Torii-II (I do) over the Cary, it would seem to me the culprit that is causing mushed and flat might still be present in your system.

Let us know after you introduce the Decware rig what you think. And remember good music makes the toes tap. I turned my Decware amp on yesterday and did not tap the first toe until I pushed play on the CD player

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #4 - 09/25/07 at 05:13:57

I've heard Brad's Taboo and CSP combination with several different speakers, and it was superb amplification. Plenty of drive for either the Decware HDT's or the K-slot horns with the Decware modded fe206's.

The Taboo/CSP combination was AWESOME with Brad's K-slot horns, and I'm not an "easy" sell...

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
Scrapiron
Ex Member

Update
Reply #5 - 10/24/07 at 15:34:56

Update- I've been using the Taboo and CSP for a couple of weeks and so far, I'm pretty impressed. I hate to use this term, but it's as if a veil was lifted from in front of the speakers. Music is "crisper, punchier". Much more "music-like".

So Wednesday, I removed all my ICs and speaker cables and replaced them with MAC:

Quicksilver+ from CSP to Taboo
AgQ from CDP and phono pre to CSP
CuQ speaker cable

They really took it to a higher level. Again, using audiophile terms-

imaging- wow! It's like I have a center speaker. Instruments are isolated. It sounds like the musicians are there.
soundstage- music comes from about 2' outside of the speakers.
depth- now I get it- layers!

I'm just floored. My next step is to try some HC power cords.

Question-
What's the best way to hook up my sub? Run some solid core hookup wire from the Taboo to the sub (leaving the MAC going from the Taboo to the speakers)?

-Skot

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #6 - 10/25/07 at 06:02:23

Great, Skot!

Glad it's workin'

I had a feeling the CSP/Taboo would be a very vivid sounding set up and hard to beat, especially after hearing it with several high efficiency speakers.

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print