03/28/24 at 23:38:12 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best 12"subs for wo32 (Read 9351 times)
theavi8tor
Ex Member

Best 12"subs for wo32
08/13/07 at 03:59:21

I just finished a 12" version of the wo32.  I used a couple of alumapro alchemy sub I had.  Maybe I just had too high of expectations but I think it sounds pretty weak.  I am thinking of buying some different subs for it and am wondering if anyone has experience with a 12" version or if anyone knows of a good 12" sub?  The only change i have made to the plans is the box 24" tall.

IP Logged
Gexter
Ex Member

Re: Best 12"subs for wo32
Reply #1 - 08/13/07 at 07:59:12

I built a 12" WO32 with Mach5 maw 12"s
they are not all that sensitive but I like them. My Sub was not what I call weak but not       " loud" I was using 100 watts where I could have used at least 700 and in my application it was nice and would raise an eyebrow once in awhile.
You need low QTS, low Vas Low Fs in that order IMO I cannot remember the specs on the maws but they sounded good to me.
Mine was the same as the 10" except it was 2 inches bigger to accept the 12". I squeezed the first bend just a little, maybe a little less a quarter of an inch and went from there.

Or just build it the way Steve designed it and just accept the sweet comfortable sound the WO32 makes.
the WO32 does not have the output of the WO or other subs, it is more relaxed and softer in a way. I can use the same driver in the WO and the WO is loud where the WO32 is not. but its so much better sounding to me. Its a sub without a bad temper and does its job comfortably with class and accuracy.

You may be expecting something the WO 32 is not designed to deliver , its not known for its output. The WO hammers you directly and the WO 32 plays nice and once in awhile gives the wall beside you a good wallop and you get the concussion effect with depth the WO does not have.

Gex

IP Logged
theavi8tor
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/13/07 at 15:28:27

Thanks a lot!  Here are the specs on the Alumapro subs I put in the wo32.  The numbers look low to me other than VAS but I do not know anything about this stuff.  Any advise would be great.  I also just bought the 1000w dayton amp from partsexpress.com.  maybe that will help.  I just don't want to spend another $300 on subs if they are not going to do any better than what I have.

Fs:25hz
Qms:2.00
Qes:.30
Qts:.27
Vas:3.0ft
xmax:12mm

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/13/07 at 18:40:04

where you how you place the wo32 is VERY IMPORTANT.

turn it around so the mouth or opening faces AWAY from you, maybe into a corner, try it in a few different spots.

my wo32 can shake things off the wall with less than 100 watts if located right, when located wrong it sounds like a bad midrange  [smiley=18.gif]

with a subwoofer

PLACEMENT IS EVERYTHING

IP Logged
Gexter
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/14/07 at 01:39:59

What 60 said!

by the specs it looks good the only thing that could be better is the Vas could be lower.
But really follow 60's advice I was amazed what the differance was. I know placement was important but 60 took it to a new level with how it was placed as well. (Position)

Gex

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print