04/16/24 at 23:24:26 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Two Halves (Read 92874 times)
wayan
Ex Member

Re: Two Halves
Reply #50 - 11/26/07 at 01:17:22

by "on its face" you mean having the mouth facing down?

i think I'm abandoning that idea, the cable connectors are already in place, and the top is practically sealed on, so i don't plan to wreck the paint job and trying to patch up the holes where the panels are so that i can run the cables through the mouth.

using the WO as a little table makes more sense. since the space it takes up wouldn't be put to waste. I'm just wondering now how much it will vibrate, and if stuff i put on it will eventually fall off! lol

could my two amp's, DVD player and satellite decoder cope if i put it on top of the WO? i don't plan to make my ears bleed with it, so it shouldn't vibrate too much, I'm just worried that the great big magnets on the drivers might mess up electronic signals?

i should have some pictures by this afternoon of a semi completed black painted WO.

btw, if i were to put the speaker fabric on the mouth, would it not decrease the quality of the sound? ill probably leave it open at this point, my bedroom shouldn't be too dusty, and a little wipe down won't be too hard to handle, he he.

and hopefully my life wont change so drastically that i cant build anything... i've always loved working in any workshop, and don't want that to change Smiley

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #51 - 11/26/07 at 16:51:38

wayan wrote on 11/26/07 at 01:17:22:
could my two amp's, DVD player and satellite decoder cope if i put it on top of the WO?
Take three or four springs, put them under a solid plate like marble, granite or steel and this would be your table on top of the WO to put the DVD player on and the rest too actually.
Vibration is never good for components, but the DVD would possibly not play long at all, skipping all the time.
The rest might just stand it for a year or more ... or not. Roll Eyes

i don't plan to make my ears bleed with it, Good for your girlfriend, she would have to clean it all up Kiss so it shouldn't vibrate too much, I'm just worried that the great big magnets on the drivers might mess up electronic signals? Iron plate on springs Wink

i should have some pictures by this afternoon of a semi completed black painted WO.

btw, if i were to put the speaker fabric on the mouth, would it not decrease the quality of the sound?
No!
Bart

IP Logged
wayan
Ex Member

Reply #52 - 11/27/07 at 06:03:48

meh, metal plate on springs is just getting a little too complicated. i think ill just have it standing vertically on its side then, which is the position that will take the least space.

how would i go about attaching the speaker fabric to the front? i would imagine id need to build a frame either the size of the mouth,  or maybe the whole front, where i would stretch the fabric, and then id need to mount that to the WO... how~ not sure yet. Tongue

i don't really like the idea of my hardware falling apart due to the vibrations lol, and i totally forgot that the dvd player would definitely skip and stop playing every time there was some heavy bass!

i had to buy another can of black paint, cos the first one was about to finish. hopefully we will have it done today...!

Front view.

Back view, with the cable connectors still covered.

down the throat.

well its getting close! i think it needs another coat ortwo of black, and then the finishing protective coat.

cheers,
w

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #53 - 11/27/07 at 19:05:37

Cool, almost done.
One thought: Why didn't you fill the little holes in the particle board before finishing?

I would get a frame the size of the whole throat side and then use magnets to fix that stealth thingy on there  :D

IP Logged
wayan
Ex Member

Reply #54 - 11/28/07 at 00:55:02

i did try and fill in the end grain of the particle board, first with epoxy, then with some wood filler... the epoxy was just soaked into the board, so there were still many rough patches, and the wood filler just didn't do a very good job, i think a lot of it fell out when we sanded it down. the best would have been to use another layer or two of epoxy (like i did on several of the other edges which turned out perfect) but that would have taken days, cos the epoxy we have is the 12 hour drying one~

now that its painted however, those bits are quite noticeable, lol... ah well, cant have everything right the first time round~

i was thinking of making a frame for the fabric the size of whole side as well actually, but i wasn't sure how to fasten the frame to the WO. how would i go about doing that with magnets? i cant think of a place here in Bali that sells strong magnets... only those fridge post it magnets :S and they are surely not be strong enough. i would need like eight powerful little magnets, to fix into each corner... hmm, other option is just to use some small screws i guess~

will keep you guys posted.
cheers

IP Logged
Deform
Ex Member

Reply #55 - 11/28/07 at 02:17:24

Well it's probably a bit late and so on but there is a WO thread and there is a 'halve' WO i found.

http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=77268&st=180&star...

well i thought it might fit here.

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #56 - 11/28/07 at 17:29:49

Velcro! Wink

IP Logged
wayan
Ex Member

Reply #57 - 11/29/07 at 02:29:46

d-uh~ Velcro!

thanks Bart, that saves me a lot of skull scratching action Tongue

we have plenty velcro here that i can use.

the frame for the fabric is ready, at this point i only need to glue on the fabric, and then fix the velcro.

thanks for that Smiley
peace,

IP Logged
wayan
Ex Member

Reply #58 - 12/03/07 at 09:57:42

Okay, Mission Complete!

as you can see i have gone with Bart's advice and glued/stapled Velcro to the cover. its strong enough to keep it there, and being a soft connector, i wont have to worry about there being any unnecessary rattling.

i tested the WO with the various Test frequencies that i got from http://www.realmofexcursion.com/ as far as i could tell, there were no problems with the sound, they seemed to be clean. again because of the thin office windows it was hard to listen to the WO without the annoying rattle of the glass.

i was able to hear/feel the WO as low as 20 Hz. below that i wasn't really able to hear anything (maybe if i went outside and stuck my head into the WO i might have heard something), but i was happy enough with the throb that i got at 20Hz from inside the office (i left the WO outside due to the many thin glass windows, that i didn't want to risk breaking, and a touch of respect to the other office staff trying to work, lol).

for the feet i decided to just glue adhesive carpet glides for now, since i am still not sure in what position i want to ultimately place it. for now its going to be in the vertical position.

i hope everyone enjoyed following my step by step WO building experience. its been a long process, but we have finally come to end, he he. now i just have to resist jumping of a cliff when i find out that my Amp has a defective Sub Out line (got the feeling that its not working, lol).

Ill post my feedback regarding the sound experience once i get it all working with my home sound system.

cheers,
W.

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #59 - 12/03/07 at 18:58:59

Very nice work, especially for your first build!!

I forgot, or missed it, but how large did you build it? Full size (36x36) ?

20Hz is very low for this box, but it's good that you still hear it, but I think it will be a lot lower in volume at this frequency!

Rattling window can be fixed with caulk.

Congratulations!! This worked out very well, I'm jealous! Cool

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #60 - 12/03/07 at 21:50:56

the sound it produces will change every time you try it in a new position, you really need to experiment with it in lots of different positions before you decide where it will live permanently. i always like my wos pointing into the floor on short legs 3" and in a corner.

NEVER pointing at me.

nice work, well done. enjoy.

IP Logged
wayan
Ex Member

Reply #61 - 12/04/07 at 04:43:55

i finally managed to take the time and read the instruction manual for the Yamaha amp, and got the Sub out working!

this is what my setup looks like atm (center and surround speakers still missing). I'm moving to a new house in 2 weeks, and there i plan to fix the L/R main speakers to the wall, close to the ceiling, so the position will be the same. then ill have to experiment with the WO position. at the moment i don't really have a choice when it comes to the position of the WO. i just placed it where it fit, ha ha.

sadly the amp that i built is really under powered Sad   the two 10" subs are just a little power hungry, and the "build it yourself" amp parts are not powerful enough. comparing it to my Yamaha amp (both with normal stereo speakers) i think the amp that i built is a little less powerful. so considering that the Yamaha amp is like 70W RMS per channel, i guess the one i built is probably around 50~60W per channel.

i have tried tweaking the setup, so that the Sub is running at its max volume, and set the two main speakers to -20dB. but even then the WO is not really producing enough sound compared to the main speakers. only when i crank up the whole system does the WO start doing its thing.

i have the feeling that i need to upgrade the amp at this point... without buying a complete new one however, how should i go about it? when i was building it together with the electrician, he told me that the capacitators that i bought were really low quality, and that i shuold eventually consider replacing them for a big sound improvement. would that also mean that the amp would be able to increase in the output? or is it just the quality of the sound?

in the case that replacing the capacitators will get me more watts, (being a total newbee to this any advice is always appreciated) what kind should i look for?

these are the four capacitators I'm using at the moment, paid about $2 a piece.

last week while at a music shop i noticed that they had many different kinds of capacitators. some were almost the size of coke cans! is bigger better? lol

ideally would be to also have a sub equalizer I'd imagine, so that i can increase the low frequency gain, and reduce it closer to the cutoff. not sure ill be able to find the right components tho. just a more powerfull amp would be a good start i think.

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #62 - 12/04/07 at 16:34:30

try turning your wo so the opening fires onto the floor, rest it on a couple of books either side, try it.

i have got amps from charity shops many times, 100 wpc for $15.

are there any charity/thrift stores near you?

e bay also has hundreds of amps for cheap.

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #63 - 12/04/07 at 21:42:28

If you already say it's underpowered, then upgrading the elco's won't do much, if anything.
Besides, better quality is relative for sub only. Sub's need power, so your amp will never give enough, sorry.  :(
Even if these elco's are low quality, the fact that they are doubled parallel, gives them better reaction time (meaning: half the resistivity)
More would give more punch, dynamics. But the volume won't change! Only power can change that.
If you can rotate the sub, try that too and what 60_and_up said.
Maybe the placement is just bad or your listening position.

From now on, it's experimenting time, let the fun begin! Grin

Bart

IP Logged
wayan
Ex Member

Reply #64 - 12/05/07 at 02:28:13

just out of curiosity... how do you guys that have a WO go about moving the darn thing? lol

I've given up trying to do it on my own, i prefer to keep my back in one piece. ill have to wait till i move to the new house and get someone to help me with the experimental positioning of the WO.

sigh~ too bad the amp i built is so weak. the box said 2x 400W (800w total) yeah right! i was being optimistic when i bought it and hoped that it could maybe do 150~200W per channel Tongue

oh, and Bart, the measurements that i did was the 24" x 36" i don't want to imagine how hard it would be to move a 36" x 36"!!

cheers

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #65 - 12/05/07 at 07:26:42

I assume you made the classic mistake most people want to make, he he.
Different power numbers for the same amplifier can have huge differences. Shocked
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_power

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #66 - 12/05/07 at 20:52:46

wayan wrote on 12/05/07 at 02:28:13:
just out of curiosity... how do you guys that have a WO go about moving the darn thing? lol

I've given up trying to do it on my own, i prefer to keep my back in one piece. ill have to wait till i move to the new house and get someone to help me with the experimental positioning of the WO.

sigh~ too bad the amp i built is so weak. the box said 2x 400W (800w total) yeah right! i was being optimistic when i bought it and hoped that it could maybe do 150~200W per channel Tongue

oh, and Bart, the measurements that i did was the 24" x 36" i don't want to imagine how hard it would be to move a 36" x 36"!!

cheers

its a bitch to move.

150 watts should get it bumping ok, my guess is that your main speakers are more sensitive and get louder before the wo. how EXACTLY is the wo getting its signal?

if you wire your main speakers in mono and paralell (i think) you could cut their sensitivity in half which means the wo would be twice as loud.

or run the main speakers off the plate amp and the wo off the main amp?

or somthing Smiley

IP Logged
wayan
Ex Member

Reply #67 - 12/06/07 at 05:15:09

the amp that powers the WO (the one i built) runs of the "Sub out" from the Yamaha amp that i have (which automatically cuts off at 90 Hz).

with the Yamaha amp, i can connect up to 5 speakers (for 5.1 surround sound). i cant really switch the the amp around cos then i would loose the ability to use the remote (no remote on the home made amp) and i would have a hard time with the cables too, since i have like the DVD player, cable tv, and radio on Yamaha amp, and only one input on the home made amp. anyhow, what i'm trying to say is that its not possible to change the layout without getting a really 'awkward to operate' sound system!

the only option to improve the WO at this point is to get a stronger amp, which is something i cant afford at the moment. there are no cheap second hand shops selling amp's, nor can i buy it from E-bay, cos i don't have a credit card atm, and to ship something all the way to Indonesia would probably cost more than the amp itself!

in truth the WO does get loud! (with the amp i made), but only when i turn up the whole system, which i don't really want to do, cos the neighbors would probably end up lobbing bricks at my house! lol

Peace~

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #68 - 12/06/07 at 16:17:25

can you adjust the output of the 5 channels indipendantly?

turn the speakers down so the wo is louder?

IP Logged
wayan
Ex Member

Reply #69 - 12/07/07 at 06:29:31

yeah, i already did that, I've adjusted the 2 main speakers volume down to the max i could, -20dB

its already a noticeable difference, but not enough, lol

silly power hungry WO Tongue

I'm happy with the WO, and look forward to trying the face down position when i get it to the new house.

i even got a complaint from my girl friend when she was not able to figure out how to switch on the WO, and had to watch a movie with out it, ha ha i guess its not only me that notices the difference Smiley

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #70 - 12/07/07 at 17:29:00

please try it wo face down resting on a couple books about 2 inches gap between the mouth of the wo and the floor.

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese,

it will only take 2 mins?

90 degree rotation clockwise, its a real simple move.

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #71 - 12/07/07 at 20:08:09

Hey Wayan!

Are you OK? Just heard about the quake in indonesia. Shocked

You didn't cause it with your WO I presume?!  ;)

Bart

IP Logged
wayan
Ex Member

Reply #72 - 12/08/07 at 02:24:50

60_and_up, i will turn it around when i move Tongue only another week, lol and yes it would only take 2 minutes, but i would risk damaging the paint job in those 2 minutes, trying to rotate the WO in such a small space!

about the quake, not sure if its the same one that you heard about, but i did feel it last night! i was still in the office with one other colleague, we started getting out, but half way down it stopped... it wasn't very noticeable here in Bali, the epicenter must have been some way off.

thanks for the concern Smiley peace~

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #73 - 12/08/07 at 09:07:28

Good to hear you're fine.

Another important thing I found. (you know I sit at the computer night and day, doing research for you! Kiss)

"A 75dB SPL signal on the LFE channel will be 3 times, or 10dB, smaller than a 75dB SPL signal on the other channels. It will only sound correct when fed to an amplifier that amplifies LFE by 10dB more than it amplifies the other channels."

That's why you're WO sounds a bit silent I guess.

Here's the link to the article:
http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748147

IP Logged
wayan
Ex Member

Reply #74 - 12/10/07 at 05:20:28

so in other words; i need a bigger and better amp! yeah i already figured that one out Tongue

i wasn't aware of those facts however, but those symptoms do match those of my silent WO epidemic.

not sure where i read it, but if i'm not mistaken, for every 3 dB (which is the doubling of sound?) i need like a hundred or so more watts output, no?

in that case, to increase it by 10dB to equalize the difference between the WO and the normal speakers (that are fed by a 70W per chanel) i need like urr.... no idea, maybe 70W plus 300~400W rms per channel? thats way out of my league, he he...

although i am not not able to do anything about it for the time being, it is still interesting to find these things out, to better understand the technical aspects, and reasons for the WO to work properly.

I'm afraid we have almost come to an end with reasons for research (at least for this thread). i think i now know how to improve my WO at this point.

1st ill test out the face down thing, and maybe a couple positions in the room (after i move to the new house, this week end)

2nd when ive managed to get enough moneh, ill have to invest in a better amp, preferably one made for Subs.

by the way, when people use the WO in their cars (or at home), at what frequency do they usually set the cut off? my amp does it at 90 Hz. it doesn't give me the option to adjust it, which would have been something interesting to experiment with. i would think that the WO would be still good at 100~120 Hz. so Bart, here is maybe the last question i got for ya; what do you think is a good cut off frequency for the WO~

ciao,

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #75 - 12/10/07 at 17:28:48

My opinion is 80Hz, so your 90Hz Yamaha would do fine, at least for me.
Higher cutoff could let you hear where the sub is located, not a good thing, only if you center the sub it could be ok.

If you double the rms-power, you get +3dB
So you need about 10 times the power to get the right result, or you have to bring down the other channels by 10dB

Bart

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #76 - 12/11/07 at 00:07:11

wayan wrote on 12/10/07 at 05:20:28:
2nd when ive managed to get enough moneh, ill have to invest in a better amp, preferably one made for Subs.

or just run 2 comletely seperate amps, thats what i do, then late at night you can turn the speakers way down and the wo up and still have beautifull bass in abundance but all very quiet. Cheesy

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #77 - 12/11/07 at 00:09:12

wayan wrote on 12/06/07 at 05:15:09:
the amp that powers the WO (the one i built) runs of the "Sub out" from the Yamaha amp that i have (which automatically cuts off at 90 Hz).

~

can you split the audio signal before it gets to the yamaha? and run it straight to the sub amp?  = 2 seperate amps,

this may require  low pass filter of some kind?

unless the amp you built has 1?  (filter)

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #78 - 12/11/07 at 00:13:18

just noticed your subs are dual 4 ohm, if they are wired wrong they may be showing your amp 8 ohms or more = less bass, make sure your subs are wired to show your sub amp 4 ohms.......or less.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=161

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #79 - 12/11/07 at 00:15:23

if your home made amp is kinda cr@p anyway, try 1 ohm and see what happens, it should make the amp provide much more power to the subs, might kill the amp, but at lower listening levels it might live.????????  and you can fix it if it breaks cos you built it right

IP Logged
wayan
Ex Member

Reply #80 - 12/11/07 at 02:13:02

I've wired the Drivers to get 8 ohms if im not mistaken, cos the amp is xxxW @ 8 ohms.

i tried wiring them up to get 2 and 4 ohms, but both 2 and 4 seemed to make the drivers weaker... it could be that i was doing it wrong, lol...

i wired the double coil driver + to - like this~ (hope it makes sense)

red line (+) to left coil  (+) then i took left coil (-) and wired it up to the right coil (+) then the right coil (-) goes back to as the black line in

that way I'm supposed to get the 8 ohms apparently, and avoid blowing up my amp...

at this point I'm very reluctant to reopen the WO, since its all screwed up tightly, and i would ruin a fair bit of the paint job by opening it up again.

on top of it, if my amp were to break, then id be left with NO amp... which is worse than a bad amp, lolz...

I've tried feeding the WO amp directly from the source, but i don't have the filter to cut off at 80~90 Hz, so the WO sounds rather crappy (but louD!)

cheerio~

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #81 - 12/11/07 at 04:01:02

wayan wrote on 12/11/07 at 02:13:02:
I've tried feeding the WO amp directly from the source, but i don't have the filter to cut off at 80~90 Hz, so the WO sounds rather crappy (but louD!)

cheerio~

if you point it towards the floor or into a corner, most of the higher imformation kinda gets filterd out and all thats left is bass.

p.s. you cant wire 2 x dual 4 ohm subs too 8 ohms.  can you get a dmm (digital multimeter) and see how many ohms your drivers are showing the amp?

also you dont have to open the wo to mess with the ohm load, just rewire the wires outside of it.

IP Logged
wayan
Ex Member

Reply #82 - 12/11/07 at 07:00:03

Ok, so here is my visual explanation:

by doing this i was told i would get 8 ohlms, which would work better with the amp that i had made.

how do you propose that i rewire it without opening the WO  to get 2 or 4 ohlms? he he

sadly i don't have any nifty ohlm-meter, so i cant really test it that way.

wish i could test my amp to find out how weak it is...

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #83 - 12/11/07 at 17:43:33

You DO get 8 Ohm but what 60 says is, the WO with both drivers will get you 4 Ohm.
What you're saying is, the resistance of ONE driver, not the total box.
You drive it with a stereo amp, each driver one channel.
60 drives his with one mono amp, both drivers together.

Did this come over understandable?  :-[ Sorry for the poor vocabulary.

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #84 - 12/11/07 at 17:45:22

Watch out with these driver, each coil handles about 75Wrms, right?
So never put more then 150Wrms at one driver when using both coils.

B.

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #85 - 12/11/07 at 18:49:56

a multimeter costs $10,

is your subwoofer amp stereo or mono?

you should have 4 wires coming out of the wo. that means you can connect to the amp 2 different ways,

paralel or series.

you have each speaker wired for 8 ohms so,

paralell = 4 ohms final load,

series = 16 ohms.

i think Huh

its worth trying,

my understanding is that if the amp doesnt like the load it will go into protect mode and not just blow up   Smiley

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #86 - 12/11/07 at 18:51:14

i wonder if both drivers connected to 1 channel of the stereo amp at 4 ohms would be better?

IP Logged
wayan
Ex Member

Reply #87 - 12/12/07 at 03:50:52

i kept the wires that go to the two drivers separate. if you look at the image i posted of my finished WO you will see that i have two connectors, one for each driver.

the amp i have is a stereo amp. the SUB out from my Yamaha amp is mono, so i put a splitter on it, and then run the "stereo" wires into the stereo amp i built, and then the amp has two output connectors, which i wire up to each driver on the WO.

so what i think i have is practically two 8 ohlms mono amps powering two 8 ohlm drivers that is fed from the same source... could splitting the mono sub output into two separate channels be a cause for the seemingly low power of my WO?

there, thats my little sketch of the day, depicting how i have wired everything together.

peace,

ps, i guess i could buy myself a multimeter, they can be useful for many other things. how would i use one to check the ohlm of a driver? O.o  

never owned one, and hardly ever used them sept to try and see if it could detect a current going through my finger if i poked myself hard enough, ha ha.

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #88 - 12/12/07 at 18:08:37

You don't loose power by splitting it, because the voltage stays the same when you split it.

I would recommend against wiring to two times two Ohm, you'll blow the amp.

B.

IP Logged
wayan
Ex Member

Reply #89 - 12/13/07 at 03:06:13

ill just leave it the way it is for now.

when i save up enough money ill get around to buying a new amp. or maybe ill be able to find a second hand one in Europe when i go next month.

not sure if ill have much time to look tho, since im going to be up in the Alps snowboarding most of the time Tongue

cheers.

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #90 - 12/13/07 at 03:46:22

wayan wrote on 12/13/07 at 03:06:13:
ill just leave it the way it is for now.

when i save up enough money ill get around to buying a new amp. or maybe ill be able to find a second hand one in Europe when i go next month.

not sure if ill have much time to look tho, since im going to be up in the Alps snowboarding most of the time Tongue

cheers.

you might get a new amp and still have problems?  gotta know whats wrong b4 you can fix it.
might see you on the snow?

where you going??

1976 skateboarding.

IP Logged
wayan
Ex Member

Reply #91 - 12/18/07 at 02:12:26

woot! a fellow boarder Tongue

ill be going to Switzerland for about 2 weeks. gonna be there with my brother, father and some other friends, should be a lot of fun!

cheers,
wayan

ps, im sure the only problem is that my amp is under powered... well the imput into my amp isnt powerfull enough, so its output is low, so with a bigger amp, that should be resolved.

i just moved however, and i ended up putting the WO flat on the floor (under my chest of drawers) with the mouth facing my bed. its already better. (still cant find a conventiant spot to put the WO in a face down position Sad )

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #92 - 12/18/07 at 19:10:28

pre-amp?...

B.

IP Logged
wayan
Ex Member

Reply #93 - 12/19/07 at 07:14:54

i was thinking of something like that, just a lil amp to strengthen the signal some, ha ha, wasn't even sure if something like that existed...

i think that would just be too messy... my stereo stack is already getting too tall!! let alone adding another little box for a pre-amp Tongue

i shouldn't have told you guys that my amp wasn't powerful enough, you guys are loosing more sleep over it than me!

I'm getting my speaker stands soon, they will be fixed to the wall on the two corners of my room. should be getting it some time this week. found it at a friends house who wasn't using a pair that he made, and gave them to me. just need some slight adjustments, since those were extending of the wall too far.

ill take another pic of my new room once that is installed! the new house i moved to is great! its nice going home to a proper house Smiley

cheers!

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #94 - 12/20/07 at 08:05:46

Congratulations with the new home! Cool

IP Logged
Blotch
Ex Member

Reply #95 - 12/20/07 at 08:06:50

OOO...I know the new house feeling. I just moved into my new home a couple weeks ago - gratz Smiley. Well...a simple solution, although some peeps don't think they are reliable, would be to purchase a plate amplifier such as this one:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-804

Wire the speakers in parallel and viola - 4 ohm load which will match the amps 4 ohm output specs which in this case is 240 watts. I personally doubt the drivers you have will handle 150 watts each for extended periods of time so 120 watts each should be fine. Keep in mind manufacturers of low-mid grade speakers tend to embellish the power ratings. I have had a 100W plate amp running my subwoofer (1 12" radio shack 12" car sub in a 9 cubic foot ported box tuned to 22 Hertz) in our house for 2 years and haven't had a lick of problems other than our kitties chewing on the patch cord. Good luck Smiley

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #96 - 12/20/07 at 18:03:46

Hey wayan! Smiley

Couldn't sleep again  ;) Wink

Anyway, I borrowed a WO 36x24 from a friend, no big-deal-drivers or anything fancy, just a well built MDF enclosure.
Now it's at 4 ohm driven by a 200Wrms amp (Velleman-kit Wink)
Actively filtered and I had to turn down the bass to ¼ ‼

I don't know, but maybe you could search for the cause a bit more before you get another pseudo-solution that just might not work, like a pre-amp.
Or borrow one if possible, I do so anytime I can, saves a lot of money. Wink

Ow, by the way, it sounds better then my DB10", maybe I have to get the back chamber even smaller in the DB ... Shocked

IP Logged
wayan
Ex Member

Reply #97 - 12/22/07 at 05:18:44

initially i wanted to use a plate amp for the WO. i thought that it would be the easyest solution, to just have it built straight into the sub (dont think it would fit tho)

however i was not able to find one here in Bali. so thats why i got stuck making my own (being that i wanted to avoid spending lots of money buying an of the shelf amp.

id have to ask around to find someone with a big amp that i can borrow to actually test it out and see if it would be the right solution.

for now im just leaving the setup as it is. just need to get round to eventually buying 3 more speakers for the cinema surround sound. after that, if ive eventually saved up enough$$, i might go and get me a better amp. at the moment im just totally broke (due to paying a years rent for the new house).

have a great week end guys, take care!

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #98 - 12/22/07 at 16:02:51

try connecting just 1 sub to your amp and play music, then when you connect the second sub the bass should increase, if it decreases something is wrong with the wireing.

probably 1 speaker wired backwards.

i have read about some speakers being marked + and - incorrectly from the factory.

if your speakers are wired wrong youll get no bass brother. Cool

try just 1 speaker on the amp. and make sure the second speaker connected increase output, if it doesnt reverse the conncetion on 1 speaker and try again,

you dont have to open the wo to do this just do it with the external wires.

IP Logged
wayan
Ex Member

Reply #99 - 12/24/07 at 01:29:43

actually, one of the speakers was marked wrongly, they switched the red and black markers around. i noticed the mistake when i was testing the speakers shortly after i bought them. i switched it around and checked all the other connectors, they are all the right way round. ive done the single driver test as well, they are both working. ive switched the polarity around in the end, since i loaded the drivers backwards, and it seems to sound better this way.

lately in the new house, i have had to actually turn the volume of the WO down a touch, the new room layout seems to have improved it a fair bit.

yesterday i finally had the satellite dish hooked back up to my decoder, so we can watch tv again, he he... at the same time i wired the two secondary speakers to the living room. now i just have to hit the A-B button and i can switch the speakers from bedroom to living room, rather than moving the speakers out of the bedroom, like i was doing for the 1st week since we moved.

did a little shopping yesterday, got brackets and fixed the living room speakers to the wall, and did several other little jobs around the house.

when i turn up the speakers in the living room, the WO is really noticeable in the bedroom, since its thumping away on its own, end up having to turn it down a lot, lol

whats great about spending money on any audio system is that it does not go out of date the way for example a computer does! i bought this sound system like 3 years ago now, and just adding the WO now for a relatively cheap price, i get a great improvement, and still i am able to improve the system further by getting the surround speakers for when i watch movies... its definitely money i do not regret spending Smiley  (unlike computers that are outdated in 3 months, and usually break after a year or two)!!  [smiley=ahhhhhhh.GIF]

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print