04/23/24 at 18:02:04 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
first build (Read 944 times)
silverleaf
Ex Member

first build
08/05/07 at 14:40:43

its my first build,  first time building a speaker box so i want to do it right .   ihave read most of the posts for the deathbox (and bought the plans) but was wondering if 2 12" Sound solutions audio ICON 12D2  (clamshelled) is too much for this box.  and if both speakers are attached to panel (b) or if one is attached to panel (a) cause is set several inches away... any help will be appreciate

thanks

silver

IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Re: first build
Reply #1 - 08/05/07 at 19:57:16

Lots of speakers have too large a surround to be clamshelled without a spacer.

If you have the speakers already, try just 1 first.  

John C.

IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/06/07 at 13:20:48

nice sub choice Wink

IP Logged
silverleaf
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/07/07 at 22:58:58

i got the spacer but i have other questions...see  im quite a perfectionist and i like doing things right the first time but i have come to realize that this type of box is kind of trial and error type of thing...so lets start from the beginning...

1.  how does every body run the  speaker wires th the subs on the inside if you are      
    clamshelling. do you drill holes for speaker terminals

2.  do i need poly fill (i dont want to buy it and not need it)and i certantly dont want to
    seal up the box and need it.    

3.  my amp is only a rockford fosgate 500.2( not the biggest thing in the world) should i  
    use both speakers in this box or just one (its going in a 05 scion xb)

4.  im building the dbk212 plans where should i place the insert at first,  close to the port
     like in the dbk10II plans.

as you can see i am a total nooob and some what clueless (maybe even totally)but any help will be appreciated

thanks

silver

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/08/07 at 00:35:26

1.  up to you, i run bare wires

2.  dont need it but it helps a little typically.

3.  both drivers will have better quality sound.

4. about 2 inches from the bottom.(most of opening sealed by internal box)

IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/08/07 at 21:25:12

60, i have something to add at 4.
built mine exactly to plans and i liked it the most with the insert as low as possible. 3 sides of it are longer Wink

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/08/07 at 21:37:43

Adrian wrote on 08/08/07 at 21:25:12:
60, i have something to add at 4.
built mine exactly to plans and i liked it the most with the insert as low as possible. 3 sides of it are longer Wink

i agree with you, thats what i meant?, my post must be confusing  [smiley=18.gif]

IP Logged
JimP
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 08/08/07 at 23:06:24

Ahh,

Answers before I could even ask the question.  I'm finally building my DB12 and now I know where to start with the insert.  Another question for you guys, I'm using one driver and plan to mount it with the motor in the main box section (cone facing into the insert).  Is this the best way or is there not much difference.  I'm doing it mostly because it will be much easier to mount and wire this way.  Any pros or cons?

Thanks,

Jim P

Jim P
Teaching the virtues of horn loading one Open Jam at a time.
  IP Logged
silverleaf
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/09/07 at 02:08:48

thank you so much for your help  i will post pics in a few days hopefully so you can see how i have done

thanks

silver

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/09/07 at 02:53:12

JimP wrote on 08/08/07 at 23:06:24:
Ahh,

Answers before I could even ask the question.  I'm finally building my DB12 and now I know where to start with the insert.  Another question for you guys, I'm using one driver and plan to mount it with the motor in the main box section (cone facing into the insert).  Is this the best way or is there not much difference.  I'm doing it mostly because it will be much easier to mount and wire this way.  Any pros or cons?

Thanks,

Jim P

sounds about the same and motor cools better mounted like this.

IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/09/07 at 06:22:48

60_and_up wrote on 08/08/07 at 21:37:43:
i agree with you, thats what i meant?, my post must be confusing  [smiley=18.gif]

it was just me trying to over-complicate stuf :lol:

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print