Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 18:57:14 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CSP with Tripath/digital amps (Read 978 times)
Brad
Seasoned Member

CSP with Tripath/digital amps
07/19/07 at 19:20:26

FYI for those of you who are into the "chip amps" like those having Tripath chips.
I recently did some listening with my CSP hooked up to my Charlize (Tripath 2020) amp.
The CSP made a big improvement to the sound of the Charlize IMO... making it
smoother (less treble grain) and opening up the soundstage.  There may even
have been a bit better microdetails.  Overall presence was improved.
In the end I could not go back to listening without the CSP in the loop... just could
not tolerate it after that.

Btw, even though my Taboo has a bit less "slam" than the Charlize, I still prefer the Taboo + CSP combo overall...the Taboo is better in almost every other way except the bass impact.

cheers, -Brad-

WWW   IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Re: CSP with Tripath/digital amps
Reply #1 - 07/21/07 at 02:49:49

Those are my impressions too, Brad. I'm currently using my Trends TA10.1 as a power source, ( my Select is @ Decware getting some TLC!) Without my tubed pre, I'd be even more anxious to get the Select back.
                                                                                                                        Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #2 - 08/03/07 at 21:06:43

Uh huh .....  8-)

I recently purchased a Sonic Impact Super-T amplifier for use with the outboard speakers for my LCD TV.

Before putting it in the TV system, I hooked it up to my main rig to see what would happen.  While it is no Decware Select, I have heard worse ..... a lot worse.

The CSP2 takes the T amp up several notches .....  :)

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/04/07 at 02:56:34

Randy,
Play the Super-T for 4 to 6 hours per day for 6 months.
The little bastard has no business sounding as good as it does.
Mine is a year old and I was breaking in speakers with it.
It actually is more neutral than my tube amps. Has good dynamics
and is transparent and open. Soundstage not bad at all.
No its no Select but it gets much better with age. The Super-T
is a no brainer for $139. If you want great sound for your daily
listening and not burn up your good tubes, Super-T is pretty darn good.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
MikeW
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/04/07 at 15:13:48

Quote:
If you want great sound for your daily  
listening and not burn up your good tubes

That's good advice for you young whipper snappers but I am going to listen to my good tubes while I can still hear Wink

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 08/04/07 at 16:54:48

Hmmmm. . . that's a good point!  I just realized my 17 year old cat is now stone deaf. . . Better her than me!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Brad
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/08/07 at 18:55:13

Randy in Caintuck wrote on 08/03/07 at 21:06:43:
Uh huh .....  8-)

I recently purchased a Sonic Impact Super-T amplifier for use with the outboard speakers for my LCD TV.

http://home.fuse.net/randyr/SuperT_amp.jpg   http://home.fuse.net/randyr/SuperT_back.jpg

Before putting it in the TV system, I hooked it up to my main rig to see what would happen.  While it is no Decware Select, I have heard worse ..... a lot worse.

The CSP2 takes the T amp up several notches .....  :)

Randy

Randy, you may want to check out the KingRex T20 (6Moons Review) which is based on the Tripath 2020 chip - same as the Charlize kit is. It's more expensive than the T-amp but I think you'll like it better.  While, the 2020 based amps are not equal to a Decware SV83/EL84 amp IMO, they are still quite good for a "yucky solid state" or second-room system Wink  P.S. Tripath as you may know is in Chapter 11, so get em while you still can.  There's no telling what will happen to their products in the future.

WWW   IP Logged
chrisby
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/14/07 at 20:03:47

Brad - the Kingrex T20U looks even more interesting - complete with USB input DAC for $269 - how does that work?

Internal view shows amazing build quality - the average DIY would be hard pressed to fabricate this nice a chassis and knob for much less than 80% of this price

http://www.audiomagus.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/krt20usb_...

I've played with a little stock Trends amp, and while fine for 2 channel video or near field computer audio, it ain't no 2A3 or Zen Select.

not so easy, this giving it up thing ...
  IP Logged
Brad
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 08/16/07 at 01:13:58

Yeah, heard of the Trends and my buddy has one.  Haven't heard it yet, but doesn't surprise me. I seriously doubt the Kingrex will sound much better than my Charlize (before I blew it up - long story) since they both use the Tripath 2020 chip.  But I agree it's a nice build.  That price for the T20U btw is without the power supply, and I think you'd want the power supply for best sound.  All considered, it's not cheap, but may be good for a second system (IMO of course).

WWW   IP Logged
chrisby
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/20/07 at 22:05:55

Not to belabor the point, but I think the $249 price for the Kingrex includes a "standard" wall wart type of AC adapter, similar in format to the stock unit accompanying the Trends,  Sonic Impact , et al.  

It's also notable that in addition to the Kingrex upgraded power supply, that Audio Magus has a separate "Power Center" 12V SLA supply available suitable for a wider variety of T-chip based amps.  It's quite clear that the even with the latest high speed, space aged zoomy circuit topology and devices, that the quality of power supply is not to be overlooked   Grin  

Over the past weekend, I again spent some time playing with bone stock Trends in both my main audio and 2.0 video set-up.  While it would be hard to confuse it with a pair of Bottlehead Paramour 2A3's, it's quite amazing how decent the sound is coming out of a cute little metal enclosure smaller than the motor run caps implemented by the gonzo tweakoids amongst us

(and you know who you are)  

not so easy, this giving it up thing ...
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #10 - 08/21/07 at 02:45:04

Yup, that was my impression too, Chris. My Select is hands down better, but the TA 10.1 makes a lot of music for 110 bucks!
                                                                                                                        Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print