Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 15:52:14 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Metric Imperial Plans (Read 10040 times)
Young_SC
Seasoned Member

I love Decware 1G -
SP1!

Metric Imperial Plans
06/25/07 at 12:11:40

Has anyone drawn up metric plans for the Imperials....yes I know the name Imperial fits imperial measurements.

I can only get 18mm MDF in Australia, but 3/4 inch is effectively 19mm, so it requires a bit of a rejigging of the plans.

I could draw them up myself if necessary, but hey, I'm lazy.

Simon

Marantz CD 63KI (modded)
Monica 2 DAC with I/V output stage
ZBox
Decware SE84CEX
Homebuilt HDT's with doughnuts
Enamelled copper wire IC's with Eichmann plugs
Enamelled copper wire speaker cables
Young_SC   IP Logged
Young_SC
Seasoned Member

I love Decware 1G -
SP1!

Re: Metric Imperial Plans
Reply #1 - 06/25/07 at 13:02:48

I should clarify, that I am interested in the SO Imperial.

Marantz CD 63KI (modded)
ZBox
Decware SE84CEX
Young_SC   IP Logged
Valiant

Reply #2 - 07/04/07 at 03:33:50

Hiya Young_SC,
I guess I can reply to this, I had the same problem, i.e 18mm HD Chip board.

I roughly allowed for the reduction of a few mm's here and there and ended up with
Imperials that where about half an inch thinner and an inch shorter than the plans.
The width was about the same. I focussed on keeping the internal dimensions true to
the plans, especially the speaker enclosure, the horn entry and initial folds. The horn mouth I think turned out a little larger than plan, but the sonic results where still good.

I'm not sure, but if you ratio the overall speaker plan, 18/19 times whatever dimension, you get a speaker approx 4" shorter than plan, this may be a tad too much, we have
effectively shrunk the Imperial. If I where to build them again, I might experiment with pieces of wood and paper and try a ratio approx 18.5/19. This should maintain the overall internal sizes and shapes, the size reduction being mainly to the outside of the speaker box and horn.

You have a lot of latitude here, a few mm increments here and there will not cause major chaos. Check out my earlier postings 'Climbing the Mountain' and etc and you may get a few helpful hints from a fellow Aussie who has been down the same path you are attempting.

Good Luck and I will try and stay tuned,

Cheers

Gary

IP Logged
Young_SC
Seasoned Member

I love Decware 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 07/04/07 at 10:54:24

Hi Gary,
Just bought a 12 inch driver with the right specs plus a plate amp on eBay.  Next thing is wood, but if I buy it before I finish my skirting board project then the CFO may withdraw funding. Smiley

I've got MS Visio (not the best drawing tool) which I've used for other plans, so I plan to spend a few hours drawing them up.  I'll do as you suggest and try and retain the inner dimensions of the overall cabinet and make different sized cuts as appropriate.

I'll have a look at your other posts as well.

BTW, where in this great country do you reside?

Simon

Marantz CD 63KI (modded)
ZBox
Decware SE84CEX
Young_SC   IP Logged
Young_SC
Seasoned Member

I love Decware 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 07/04/07 at 14:37:49

Duh,

I forgot your location is in your profile.

I notice we both live in the best state in Australia. Smiley

Alf, Mr C and Krypton need not comment here.

Marantz CD 63KI (modded)
ZBox
Decware SE84CEX
Young_SC   IP Logged
Nelson Bass
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 07/04/07 at 22:13:39

Young_SC wrote on 06/25/07 at 12:11:40:
Has anyone drawn up metric plans for the Imperials....yes I know the name Imperial fits imperial measurements.

I can only get 18mm MDF in Australia, but 3/4 inch is effectively 19mm, so it requires a bit of a rejigging of the plans.

I could draw them up myself if necessary, but hey, I'm lazy.

Simon

Using SolidWorks 3D software I've managed to draw most of the Imp SO after the original drawings in inches. I ended up with the conclusion that there are some minor bugs in the plans from Steve. Or more certain I made the mistakes... Wink

My intention was to convert the plans into metric and send them to Steve so he could distribute them so I don't break his copyright. I'll be out for the next weeks due to vacation...

IP Logged
Valiant

Reply #6 - 07/05/07 at 13:47:49

Hiya Simon and kbsp,
Yeah, it's a pretty good state to be in. Perhaps there may be a way for you to meet
the Imperials, they currently reside in Perth, where my side kick Jake has them set up
in a studio, but I don't think they have fired in anger for a while, so maybe I have
to poke Jake and the Imps with a big stick  shortly - but at least not until the end of
August, very busy this month.
I will try and put a few more pics of the Imperials on the net, check my homepage,
but I don't have many Imp pics on there. I will try and rectify this week! Wink
Cheers to all,
Gary

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print