And my house is a wreck.....

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Re: "The Ultimate"
Reply #1 - 06/09/07 at 14:47:16

WOOOWWWWW!

That is an impressive build. I also notice the bottom ports are modified. I did the same thing to my HWK15 and the results were excellent. What gave you the idea for plex and how does it resist flex under extreme volume? Again that is an awesome build and gives me the want to try it.

Best Regards,
HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/09/07 at 15:53:38

very pretty,

i dont understand modding it. Roll Eyes

steve d designed it, it must work very well (well mine does built exactly to plans) why modd it?

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #3 - 06/09/07 at 16:34:37

What up 60?

I believe the original design works good for certain enviroments but is not suit to all of the different possible uses. I should say suited to all the same people's taste. There is no improving the design of the HWK. There is just "modifing" it to each individual's listening pleasure. My friend has one that is dead on the design. He use it for PA use mostly or sometimes for the parties at the house. I would not change it for the world and he would prolly wouldn't  let me touch as good as it sounds for him. After I moved mine into the basement it just seem change the overall sound/response. I know it is the room that is to blame but "modifing" the room is out of the question. Next step was the tinkering with the tuning of the HWK. Just for the sake of fun(not arguement), when you cook a steak do you throw in the pan and let ride or do you season it, butter it, salt it, etc? After it is done do you use A1, 57, or ketchup? Life to me is about making decisions of what you like best not settling for what the standard is. No offense intended.

HT-EXT

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/09/07 at 16:41:14

^ no offense taken  :D

the hwk is designed for REALLY BIG SPACES.

if you have a smaller space to play with maybe you can consider a subwofer that was designed for smaller spaces?

wo32?

i love steak  :)

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #5 - 06/09/07 at 16:50:26

The "concrete bunker" is fair size but with all the other stuff space runs out quickly. I don't have a WO32 but I do have the WO36 and love it. The WO36 is one design that doesn't need anything but to be played. I have hooked a BASSPRO, DBX120, and even an EQ to it and it just sounds great using nothing but an amp. I still would not mind having a WO32 just to see the difference between the two. Thanks for the reply 60.

HT-EXT

PS. I agree! The HWK is for REALLY BIG SPACES 100%.

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/09/07 at 20:00:59

ive built a wo 36x36 and a wo32,

difference is the wo32 is 60% more accurate/faster.

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/09/07 at 20:02:43

HT-EXT wrote on 06/09/07 at 16:50:26:
The "concrete bunker" is fair size but with all the other stuff space runs out quickly. I don't have a WO32 but I do have the WO36 and love it. The WO36 is one design that doesn't need anything but to be played. I have hooked a BASSPRO, DBX120, and even an EQ to it and it just sounds great using nothing but an amp. I still would not mind having a WO32 just to see the difference between the two. Thanks for the reply 60.

HT-EXT

PS. I agree! The HWK is for REALLY BIG SPACES 100%.

does the wo not satisfy your bass desires in the bunker? does the hwk sound better than the wo in the bunker?

what are the dimensions of 'the bunker'  LxWxH

and what is in there?

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #8 - 06/09/07 at 23:30:41

The "concrete bunker" is 24' x 14' x 12'. The wall farthest from the captain's chair is the big screen, two tower speakers( plus 2 DB10s per tower), the center channel ( plus 2 DB10s) and to the left is the "tower of power" with all the audio/video equipment. Directly in front of the tv is the WO36 point right at you (7' away). A large 9 piece sectional fills the room and behind the sectional is HWK10 and HWK15 with the bottom ports hitting you in the back. The top ports fires into the concrete wall ( ports are 5' away from the wall). Some how I manage to get it all to sound good togehter but the WO36 seems to want to do battle with the HWK15. The good thing about the bunker is one side is underground the other side is not. I think that helps keep the boomy bass at bay. The room response peaks around 40Hz with 30Hz and 50Hz running neck and neck. That is all I can think of for know if you need more info let me know. I personally think the WO36 is the better choice as far as all around sound and performance. Don't get me wrong the HWK both serve there purpose and help add to the effect of the HT experience.

HT-EXT

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/10/07 at 05:17:13

sounds like a crazy room to watch a movie in. Tongue

wos work best when the port/opening is facing way from us, maybe one day try turning yours around so it faces away and see how it works?

hwk wo and 2 x db all playing together  :-?

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #10 - 06/10/07 at 17:59:34

Thanks! I like the crazy movie room and others seem to be impressed. There 6 x DBs( 2 for the left, 2 for the right, and 2 with the center channel). The best thing about the set up is it does not take a whole lot of power to sound decent. It is a work in progress and I see no end in site. My friend has two of the WO32 hooked to his HT and there are BADAZZ, even when he had cheap speakers in them. After the upgrade to better woofers they are a force to be reckon with. I have also built hugh port enclosures trying to replace the HWKs but the HWK just can not be beat. The HWKs haft to be one of my favorites right beside the WO36.

HT-EXT

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/10/07 at 21:34:47

6 dbs  :o

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #12 - 06/12/07 at 16:47:05

You said it was the crazy movie room and I would haft to agree. I use to have a couple HWK8s with the L/R. The reason I switch to DBs is because the center channel had two DBs to help with the bass and they pretty much kick the HWK8s butt. The towers(L/R without HWK or DB) tend to roll-off about 60Hz to 55Hz but with the DBs they roll-off about 40Hz to 35Hz now. I have even try the DBs on the LFE output and have no complaints there either. The only thing I would change would be to up grade to a better woofer in the DBs.

HT-EXT

IP Logged
hesster
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/16/07 at 03:19:08

This took many weekends this winter to complete.  It is simply the most powerful, deepest bass subwoofer speaker imagineable.  I took great pains in ensuing it sealed properly - the 3/4" precision cut plexi top is high grade and cost almost $200, but worked out quite well.  I also have programmable LEDs on the inner corner firing up with a controller to alternate the pattern between R/G/B and combinations.  Why - because.  I used 3/4" MDF and 10 tubes of glue with 200+ wood screws, and over 100 screws in the top alone.  Inner walls are foam with a pillow stuffing facing.  So - how does it sound?  I drive both 15" Titanic III's with 800 Watts each with a Europower, and used led meters mounted on the side which flash indicate the power level.  Very simply - you cannot turn this up too high in a home environment unless you want to rehang pictures and rearrange everything that tends to move around under sound pressure.  Has anyone really heard a 30 to 50 Hz sound pressure wave highly amplified?  It is simply awesome!

IP Logged
backfixer
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 07/19/07 at 00:11:20

thats sick, that is just simply sick! what a labor of love that must have been, could you give the specifics on the materials and especially what you used for the ports. thanks! Cheesy

IP Logged
stunna-box
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 01/31/11 at 06:10:02

what that guy said ^^^   thats not even right!! most sick box iv seen!! 5 STAR BOX!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print