Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:36:22 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ordered RL-3s Today!!!!!! (Read 20582 times)
KellyB

If you can't enjoy
the sound, it's just
noise!!!

Ordered RL-3s Today!!!!!!
05/01/07 at 07:39:45

I just ordered a pr. of walnut RL-3s today, they were ready to ship & hopefully I'll receive them in a few days, I live in Montana!

Are there any other Decwareites near Billings, MT? Probably slim-pickens I'll bet!!! Maybe we could get together for good tunes & eats! Any takers?

I think I'm going to set them up diagonally in my long, rectangular room! I may have less room treatment to do! Any tips or suggestions for a room: 12' wide, 28' long, with a 7' ceiling? Where would I put the first treatments & what kind? Do I come-out from the corner at a 45 degree angle Or can I use little more of the room, I'm not sure how to describe that last choice(maybe a bigger angle, an uneven angle)? Any info would be extremely appreciated!!!!

Would my SE84cs amps monoed be similar in sound or power as a Taboo? I also have an old Hafler DH-200, but I know it's not any where near as good as the Selects! Thanks for listening to me ramble-on!!!!!

Kelly Benson

Decware SE84CS X 2 (CCE-mod); Decware RL-3s; Decware Interconnect cables; ZenStyx speaker cables; Stax CA-Z Preamp; Stax SR-X Mk III Earspeakers; Pro-ject 2.9 Wood TT; Soundsmith SMMC2 Cart.; JBL Sig. Series Loudspeakers(vintage, '70); etc.
  IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Re: Ordered RL-3s Today!!!!!!
Reply #1 - 05/01/07 at 12:49:01

Those speakers will sound good on any of the amps you have, but the monoed SE's sound like the best bet to me. (I could be wrong).
As far as room set up goes, start untreated and move the speakers around and listen. I bet you will be amazed that it makes so little difference. That is the beauty of the radial. It almost doesn't care how the room is set up. Treatments are another story. Everyone has their own opinion of what sounds best as far as this goes and the right treatments and position can make all the difference. Unfortunately the wrong ones can have a worse effect than none.
Bob (Zygi) would be an excellent source of info for your room. he has been working hard on his room and really has something working there now. You might want to ask him about his treatments. I was pretty amazed at how great they looked (almost as important as sound IMHO).

Congratulations on a terrific speaker choice> I will guarantee that no matter what you do, you won't be dissapointed.

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
Scotty
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 05/01/07 at 19:34:53

Montana???!!!  I grew up in Dillon (maybe "grew up" is overstating it Smiley).  I think you'll love your Radials, but they really need a good break-in.  I would set them up somewhere where you can leave them running 24/7 for at least 2 weeks (more is better if you can stand the wait) before you set them up in your main room (unless it is also the break-in room).  IMHO a minimum of 400 hours of break-in is necessary before you can give these guys a good evaluation.  Others may disagree.  All that is to say, be patient and don't judge them too quickly.  Maybe you already know all that.  Anyways, good luck and happy listening!  Keep us posted.

Scotty

DEC-685 CDP
Denon DP-30L II TT
DL-160 Cart
Black Cube
DSR ICs
MAC Soundpipes SCs
SE-84C
Vaughn Audio Carina
RL-3s
  IP Logged
MikeW
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/01/07 at 20:12:41

Quote:
Would my SE84cs amps monoed be similar in sound or power as a Taboo?

Similar in power...can't say on the sound. I have not heard the Taboo but I have heard the RL3's and you are going to be very happy. They do need to break in but I would be willing to bet you are going to like them right out of the box.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 05/02/07 at 00:45:56

I'd echo what Mike W. says.  Congratulations!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #5 - 05/02/07 at 03:42:51

Kelly,

Congrats and thanks for the order!!!!

I think your strapped mono selects will work better than the Taboo.  I have used  both with the RL-3's and the Selects were a better match. What pushed it over the edge of a real synergistic match was the CSP2, it was "my" favorite set up with the RL-3's until the Torii-II came into the along.

As far as your room goes....can you add a wall to one end of the room? If so look at Steve's room on the site and look at the alcove he built in his room.

I'll try my hardest to ship them before Thursday,

BobZ

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
KellyB

If you can't enjoy
the sound, it's just
noise!!!

Reply #6 - 05/03/07 at 17:14:10

Thanks so much for your replies, guys!!!! I've pretty much been somewhat of a lurker since the first SE84C's appeared, bought one, then traded it in for 2 Selects right away(serial #'s: 33 & 34)!!!! It's really been enjoyable reading the posts throughout the years, I've learned a lot!!! I'm finally going to get to hear  most of the full potential of my Zen amps on great speakers!!! I could still improve my digital source & will be seeking a replacement for my Yamaha CDC-635, it sounds ok, but I really like the "output level control" with the remote(probably degrades the sound, but it's convenient with the Zens)! Are there any great-sounding changers with "output level controls" out there for under a $1000?

Thanks again for listening & your great replies!!!

Anxiously waiting,
KellyB

Decware SE84CS X 2 (CCE-mod); Decware RL-3s; Decware Interconnect cables; ZenStyx speaker cables; Stax CA-Z Preamp; Stax SR-X Mk III Earspeakers; Pro-ject 2.9 Wood TT; Soundsmith SMMC2 Cart.; JBL Sig. Series Loudspeakers(vintage, '70); etc.
  IP Logged
KellyB

If you can't enjoy
the sound, it's just
noise!!!

Reply #7 - 05/07/07 at 16:01:21

It's not very fun waiting for something you know will be here any day AND is as good as everyone says it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did that make any sense?

What kind of music is best to burn-in the RL-3's? At what volume(level)?

I feel like a little kid on Christmas Eve!!!

I'll let you know right away how they look & my impressions on how they sound before & after they mature! ... KellyB

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 05/07/07 at 17:52:33

Just play what you would normally play as you would normally play it!  You'll have fun listening through the break in period. . . . Just know that some of the hairyscary wild and wooly moments won't last for too long!

You've a lot of fun ahead of you!  I love my RL2s, need to hear them every day and can't imagine being without them. ..unless I had RL1.5s or RL3s in their place!

Cheesy

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 05/26/07 at 16:39:45

Okay Kelly. . . .

Did they make it?

Are you one happy camper?

IP Logged
KellyB

If you can't enjoy
the sound, it's just
noise!!!

Reply #10 - 05/30/07 at 17:02:22

Sorry I haven't gotten back with any comments yet! I've been on a short vacation, my daughter's college graduation, AND I've been working every day for two weeks straight!!! But I do offer my apologies!!!!

Lon: Thanks for the interest! Let me just say that I've got at least 200 hrs. so far with the 50 that Bob Z. said he log on them before they were sent! They arrived in excellent condition(very nice walnut finish) except for one of the covers was broke( U.P.S.) which was sent in a separate box that looked like something(Alien, no doubt) kicked it pretty hard!!! Bob is sending another one!!! Thanks Bob!!!!

Just a short note now, I'm going to write a review soon! I've only one thing to say: WOW!!! And I'll even say it backwards: WOW!!! I know they're still breaking in but the quickness of these speakers are amazing!!! I have an old set of Stax SRX-III electrostatic earspeakers, that are very articulate & the RL-3s are much better(tighter or quicker) in the lower register! The top end is still a little harsh(some say that it is shouty) but is still interesting to listen to!

I'm happy!!! Thanks for asking!!! I'll get around to writing a good review shortly, right now I'm too busy listening!!!!!! It's been raining all week & my lawn is WAY too long already, I think it will have to be grazed-on by goats! Less yard work, more listening time!!!!!!!!!  Later, Kelly!

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #11 - 05/30/07 at 18:21:31

Hey Kelly,

Did Bob say he broke the tweeters in before he shipped them? Those things take a lot (I mean a LOT) of play time to knock off a bit of the edge in the real high freqs. I remember him saying something about breaking them in with test tones played overnight or over a week or something like that. The ones I have heard with well broke in tweeters were much sweeter. Perhaps letting them play a few nights in a row with some high freq content to break in those ribbons would help?

I would ask Bob about that one though. I know they sound sweet!
Congratulations!

Take care,
Robert

musgofasa   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 05/30/07 at 18:53:08

Kelly,

I'm awful glad you are digging them.

I have to say that I personally run very high resistors in the tweeters because I find their output to be too lively otherwise in my untreated room. . . . They will lose that harshness in time, just a little more time. . . and still stay detailed and spunky.

Looking forward to further impressions. . . and enjoy!

IP Logged
KellyB

If you can't enjoy
the sound, it's just
noise!!!

Reply #13 - 06/10/07 at 05:54:21

Robert: BobZ said he doesn't do that any more, I think he just plays music through them now!!! You'll have to ask him for the specifics!!!!

I must have over 300 hrs. on my RL-3s by now, I leave them on while I'm at work most days!!! I have messed-around alittle with positioning of speakers from back & side walls, about 45" from sides & 36" from back wall. I haven't tried it diagonally yet!!! Very, very impressive bass!!!!!!!! Quick & extended, Way Beyond any of my expectations!!!! I must have quality over quantity & I'm reeeeal happy!!!!! Even at low levels It's excellent!!!!

I'm still waiting for  the upper midrange to smooth-out!! It's probably more my CD changer than anything, but I know BobZ said you need alot of play-time before you reach "the groove"(that's my interpretation, I'm a golfer!!!). He was talking about the tweeter, but a suspect the upper midrange needs quite a bit of play-time also!!!

Thanks Steve & Bob for such Outstanding & Exemplary products(That's lingo from my 20yrs. in the U.S.Army) with great value for your audio dollar!!!!! I just wish I could find one of those Sony DVD changers so I could have you mod-it!!!!! I' still going to write a review, It wouldn't be fair not to wait for the break-in period to get over!!!! Any insight on how close I am to that????? Would New output tubes help, they are the original sets(Jan '01)?

Take care,
Kelly B.

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #14 - 06/10/07 at 18:44:05

KellyB,
That's great. I think I remember Bob telling me he had smoked a few tweeters trying to break them in with the test tones which is likely why they are done with music now. I thought the break in time was something like 200 hrs though. If they are still shouty (?) I wonder where you have them passed?
I know Bob runs them very high (>10K) so it is possible that is part of what you are hearing. The sets I have heard were very smooth in the high end.
I am not sure about your room, but I know the radials will do a better job further from the outside walls than other speakers. If you have a wide room, try moving them closer together (maybe as much as 60-72 inches from the walls?) and see how they sound. I would definitely play with the angles as well since those tweeters have varying on and off axis response. It could be as simple as that. The sweet spot for those things shouldn't be hard to find at all. One thing of note might be height though.
Without touching the position of the speakers, try this. Stand up between them and walk backwards all the way to the back wall. Then get closer to the ground and move back and forth in the room. (maybe use a tall chair?) Then try your usual listening position and try sitting up on the back of the seat, standing behind it, kneeling in front of it and getting down on the floor. I found in Bob's room that seating height was slightly low for the standard RL3. I am not sure if it will work, but you can try putting some feet or blocks under the back or front to change the angle too. If your seat is at just the right height, you may be catching the edge of that radial driver or on the opposite end, if it is too high, you may be catching the edges of the tube. (I doubt the latter).

Lot's of suggestions, but after playing with Bob's for a while in a good room, I found that the listening position height could make a big difference in the bass response and the high end smoothness so definitely take the time to experiment before giving any reviews. They sound great from anywhere, but when they are locked in, it is an experience to just sit and listen to them.

Take care,
Robert

musgofasa   IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #15 - 06/12/07 at 03:58:23

Kelly,

How close you are to the break in point would depend on a few things, how much time, and at what volume. If you run the speakers while at work at lets say 60dB it would take much longer than if you were able to play them at louder than listening levels. I've found after one year of playing 24-7 there was still improvement over lets say 3 months 24-7.

But it might not be break in your hearing, or should we say, the lack of break in. It could just be your source....how does your TT sound with the RL-3's, have you tried that. Even with the TT though, the phono stage could make a difference.

BobZ

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print