04/24/24 at 04:32:01 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need help! (Read 10662 times)
Headphone
Ex Member

Need help!
04/01/07 at 22:09:20

This is my first housewrecker and I'm having problems with noise from speaker, when the volume is turned up some.  I built the housewrecker to spec. and put two Kole 12" subs and using two Adcom GFA-555 amps (one amp to each speaker).
I have the speakers facing up wards towards the 4" port, and tried defferent was to load the cabinet.  When the speakers were loaded face to face I receive even more noise from I believe is from the coil of the top speaker.

IP Logged
Ella Pualani
Ex Member

Re: Need help!
Reply #1 - 04/02/07 at 00:25:43

Headphone,

Discribe the noise....that would help.  How do you have them wired, thats number one. try using one amp. When problems occur, alway go back the the simplest form. I.E. one speaker one amp, then work your way back to where you want to be, you'll find what you've done wrong and what the cause of the problem is.

EP

IP Logged
Headphone
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/02/07 at 01:07:16

It sounds like I can hear the speaker rattle inside the box or voice coil is vibrating. The speakers are wired correctly, mono to each sub.

IP Logged
Ella Pualani
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/02/07 at 02:20:06

Wired correctly? are you saying that Mono both channels is correct? did you check them for phase. If they are wired out of phase and you push them to hard trying to make bass come out of the cabinet, you could be flexing the cones to the point that they buckle and will make a God awful racket.

If both drivers are facing the same way you'd wire them the same way  I.E. Positive to Positive on both drivers, if the are mounted opposite of each other then they should be wired opposite of each other i.E. one driver wired with the positive going the the positive terminal and the negative wire going to the negative...and the other driver would be wired positive wire to the negative terminal on the driver and the negative wire connected to the positive terminal on the driver.

The reason I mentioned go back to a single amp was just in case the happen to be out of phase with each other, this would probably make more of a difference if the were stereo amps bridged mono.

Another scenario would be... if the drivers are clamshelled  together, both surround could be touching, which will offset the VC in its gap, in that case you might need to build a spacer to separate the drivers surrounds from touching each other.

Headphone,,,do you have any bass coming from the cabinet, or is it just the racket, and no bass??

EP

IP Logged
Headphone
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/02/07 at 11:01:25

Yes, bass is coming from the box but the bottom sub is doing most of the work. When I cut off the amp. from the bottom sub I can tell a big difference, the upper sub is making hardly any bass. and it's the one with the funny noise when the volume is turned up.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #5 - 04/03/07 at 00:28:01

Headphone,

It sounds like that drivers gone bad, but I'd take it out and verify before you just pull it out and through it away.

BZ

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/06/07 at 01:26:00

^ x 2

take your drivers out of the housewrecker and play them reasonably hard 'free air'

see if there is anything makeing any noise? (tinsel slap, or coils rubbing)

if not, check wireing, and top port alignment.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/06/07 at 02:46:17

I had a sub, at one point, which had one of the voice coil leads split. At rest the circuit would be complete and the speaker would start to push forward, only to open the circuit. Then when it would start to come back to resting position, it would close the circuit again.

Talk about an awful racket of arcs! A little solder fixed it right up and it worked great. That's one of my old school pioneers that's been retired(worked when retired) and is wrapped up in my garage.

WWW e3_wizard jetleeamc   IP Logged
Headphone
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/14/07 at 23:10:45

The speaker is fine, I just didn't have it wired corrctly.  But know I have some serious port noise.  Coming from the large 4" port. what can I do? oh, I used pvc pipe for the port instead of a coffee can. Would that make a difference?

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #9 - 04/14/07 at 23:36:56

Headphone,

Using PVC would work just as well, if you had the correct size,  did you check the plans and check the size of the coffee can????
Also if you can't find PVC the correct size, the port doesn't have to be round, find the same area in a sq. and build it to the correct length out of MDF, round over all the edges as large as you can and the port noise should go away!!!!

BobZ

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Gexter
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/15/07 at 01:55:57

Thats funny I used MDF to make a port because I would not spend the extra money on the pvc.
I was able to put some terrific flares top and bottom, I smoothed the inside with wood glue. The things we do on our early builds.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print