03/29/07 at 01:52:57

1981 Cadillac Seville - (1) Memphis MC12 (1) Memphis 500D (1) Deathbox

Customer LOVED it!!

IP Logged
dbjunkies
Ex Member

Re: 1st Deathbox build
Reply #1 - 03/29/07 at 15:53:14

after building our 1st deathbox-already built a WO, so needless to say we're impressed!  -- anyway got wondering with this design--has anyone thought/tried building the box to be "tuneable" on the go?  Couldn't a guy use linear actuators to "move" the inner box back and forth to fine tune on the fly?  Just thinkin' out loud again.... Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
dbjunkies
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/01/07 at 06:47:29

dbjunkies wrote on 03/29/07 at 15:53:14:
a Couldn't a guy use linear actuators to "move" the inner box back and forth to fine tune on the fly?  Just thinkin' out loud again.... Smiley Smiley Smiley

any thoughts?

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #3 - 04/01/07 at 11:38:57

Sure,

Seems like a lot of trouble though. I don't ever remember anyone saying they wanted to move the tuning once they had it set. OF course if you had someone who wanted to listen to music and use the same box for SPL, it would be one heckuva way to make an adjustment on the fly. Especially if the install was finished. If you do one like that, let us know how it turns out.

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/01/07 at 13:52:44

Easy enough to make it adjustable.  Most of us moved the insert around till we were happy with the performance, then sealed it in.

The thing is, that the performance of the box improves a fair amount after the insert is caulked in.  My insert was already tight enough that it had to be moved with a mallet.

You could easily add a leadscrew to move the insert, I just wonder how you'd maintain a seal.

John C.

IP Logged
thedude
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/01/07 at 17:18:26

getting the seal tight enough would be the problem.  My DB10 insert was so tight I had to jump on it to make it move.  Somehow it still let air through.  Now its caulked and has about 50 screws in it.  Funny how well that works.

IP Logged
dbjunkies
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/01/07 at 17:47:26

we thought of using a rubber weather strip seal the actuators should hold the insert in place--we'll see when we have time to dabble...

IP Logged
SQ-eek
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/19/07 at 03:55:17

If it can move air will leak, with 2 x 15's and cabin gain how much bass do you need in a car? with that kind of excursion and surface area tuning to a reasonably flat response hsould be sweet? A one tone box would gain massive Db but why? (unless its a comp car then a van full of 21" JBL GTi's and some big-ass cap's is on!)

IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/19/07 at 07:25:05

SQ-eek wrote on 05/19/07 at 03:55:17:
If it can move air will leak, with 2 x 15's and cabin gain how much bass do you need in a car? with that kind of excursion and surface area tuning to a reasonably flat response hsould be sweet? A one tone box would gain massive Db but why? (unless its a comp car then a van full of 21" JBL GTi's and some big-ass cap's is on!)

who mentioned 15's ?

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/30/07 at 14:45:32

SQ-eek wrote on 05/19/07 at 03:55:17:

???

WWW e3_wizard jetleeamc   IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/30/07 at 19:18:34

sheesh, when will you learn caps add d3b33z ?
Grin

IP Logged
djman37
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/01/07 at 15:47:59

Adrian wrote on 05/30/07 at 19:18:34:
sheesh, when will you learn caps add d3b33z ?
Grin

baaahaaahahahahahahahaha.  don't you know, CHROME adds d3b33z1!!

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 06/01/07 at 16:08:53

and stickers add whp.

I need some m4d capzz!

WWW e3_wizard jetleeamc   IP Logged
PC
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/19/07 at 06:27:46

Go easy on the ozzies fellas. Smiley
Back to dbjunkies question, I built an on the go tuneable DB210 for HT, but used two round cylinders, 1 sleeved in the other for the box and the insert. Using closed cell self adhesive foam, it was so tight and sealed, I had to wax the inside so it could adjust, and now does extremely well. I chose the round config to eliminate the sealing of square box problems. It stands in the room as a pedestal.

It sounds awesome, so clean, and will get usable tones down to 12Hz (much less db than tuned bandwidth 35-70Hz) but still clean.
I used a 3/4" threaded rod through the top plate with a nut welded on the end. Its sealed off with silicon, metal and felt washers. Actually works.
Another forum member did something similar with his traditional square DB, and he joked about putting an electric window motor on the end of the thread - if you must!

Any way I love the result I have achieved. LOTs of audio buffs have commented WOW when they have heard it, even a mate whos built a WO32 was awed.

So, can be done.

inner_assembly_inside_outer_tube_with_top_plate_and_threaded_rod_removed.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print