04/24/24 at 12:00:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
smaller housewrecker (Read 19851 times)
ottawa9
Ex Member

smaller housewrecker
03/13/07 at 16:05:15

has anybody built a housewrecker using drivers less than 15 inches? My space is limited, but obviously I'm looking for good performance, primarily in a home theater application. Absolute spl's are not a big issue, but good bass extension is.thanks

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Re: smaller housewrecker
Reply #1 - 03/13/07 at 17:22:13

I haven't looked at the plans in a very long time, but I am pretty sure it has dimensions or formulas for making smaller.
I have seen it done for 12" woofers I know. I am pretty sure there are 10 and 8" versions out there as well.

I would offer looking through the archives here, but they may be less than perfect what with all the forum software changes.

Good luck!

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/13/07 at 18:26:57

the house wrecker comes in versions for 18, 15, 12, 10 and 8 inch woofers.
it's on the site.

IP Logged
Gexter
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/14/07 at 04:22:33

If you want a HWK to put out go with a 12 or bigger.
If you want to go smaller than a 12 build something else than a HWK.
That said the 10 will extend low according to Decware and some people have been happy with a 8"  ( I am not one of them )

the only thing alot smaller is a 10" DBII

Figure out your space requirments and the size of your room you want to fill.

If you do not want to buy plans and built something great build the WO 8" or better 10" 36x36 and set it on its port about 3-4" off the floor in a corner to start.
If the WO is not the sound you want move it around and play before you build something else.
There is a fella here that normally is here to say try it in differant locations and ways of using it. He is on vacation so I will do it. That is the best advice with any sub!

Good luck

IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/14/07 at 13:59:49

60, on vacation ? ? ?

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/15/07 at 01:22:42

Adrian wrote on 03/14/07 at 13:59:49:
60, on vacation ? ? ?

yep i am, but i found an internet cafe. cant post in the general forum tho?

ive built a 12" hwk, works well.i bet a 10 or an 8 would too.

IP Logged
stvcmty
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/15/07 at 03:23:15

From what I know about speakers, for an 8 to work well, it would need drivers with a low FS.  Drivers with lower FS seem to be less efficient.  To make up for that a larger amp would be needed.

I think car audio subs would be a good place to look for a low hitting 8” house wrecker.

Stv

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #7 - 03/20/07 at 18:40:19

I have built every version but the HWK18 and all have served a purpose. The HWK8 is a good performer but the output (spl) is not quit enough even with high X-max woofers. The HWK10 is an excellent choice as far as spl and sql. The HWK12 and HWK15 are the best overall performers in my book and are sure to play loud and low with the right subwoofers.

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #8 - 03/24/07 at 02:14:05

Hey HT,

In keeping with the subject I was looking at 4 of these today and the specs seem to like a box similar to the HWK in models. What do you think? Fs of 25. I don't really like clamshell loading though. I was thinking maybe fitting two HWKs in the trunk (yep it's a big trunk). I would prefer sealed, but these subs don't look to like sealed boxes. Of course the DHM108s are still looking like my choice and maybe some form of band pass or sealed. What do you think of 4 of these in a HWK though?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-862

Take care,
Robert

musgofasa   IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/24/07 at 08:40:46

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #10 - 03/28/07 at 17:04:54

What up Robert,

Looks like a good woofer to me but I am not a fan of Quad loading the HWK design. I have had quad loaded 8s, 10s, 12s, and 15s, and always switch back to the two speaker set up. The HWK12 is the only one still running quad loaded but I think it is due to the Kicker Comps. The quad loaded set up takes alot power or more than I am willing to spend on a high powered amp. You could try four of the 10s you are looking at in a single HWK but the effort, to me, does not usually come out to the best results. The Fs and Xmax look excellent and should make an impressive HWK10. If you are not satisfied you have the receipe for two HWKs with two woofers each. My two HWK10s are my favorites and would fight you over them. One has Series IIs and the other has the MAW10s. Both play fairly low and loud (120db no problem). Just build it and BOOM!

HT-EXT

Check out the 10s here:          http://www.mach5audio.com/index-2.html

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #11 - 12/26/07 at 12:47:03

Haven't checked in on this thread in a while.
I have a pair of 8"ers with Fs of 30.8 hz and I was wondering if these might work in a HWK for HT use? It probably won't run much, but when it gets used I would like it to be audible lol.

Hope everybody had a great christmas.

Take care,
Robert

musgofasa   IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 12/26/07 at 19:30:18

musgofasa wrote on 12/26/07 at 12:47:03:
Haven't checked in on this thread in a while.
I have a pair of 8"ers with Fs of 30.8 hz and I was wondering if these might work in a HWK for HT use? It probably won't run much, but when it gets used I would like it to be audible lol.

Hope everybody had a great christmas.

Take care,
Robert

what are your options? ported , sealed, iso, etc etc.

personally i like the hwks sound a lot, i bet it would be fun with your eights.

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #13 - 12/26/07 at 20:18:47

Reccomended enclosure is ported or 6th order so I figure the HWK is perfect. I will open the plans tonight and see if it will be as easy as I think. I will put them in that standard ISO config that's on the page. Both facing towards the top of the enclosure. (Or is it the bottom?)

Take care,
Robert

musgofasa   IP Logged
bayrat
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/20/08 at 05:02:09

I recently aquired some Earthquake 12s Model EQ-12,4 of them, old school type is what they call them now. Anyways I havent been able to find the specs for them yet. Anyone here have an idea if they are suitable. The plan is to put them in an extended cab truck. The speakers are way past not suitable for exposed view. I am going to have to replace the dust cap and the gaskets on them for now.

Picture_029.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print