Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 23:33:14 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Which Has More Headroom? (Read 6350 times)
Craig
Ex Member

Which Has More Headroom?
03/09/07 at 10:14:35

SE34I.2 or the Taboo? Botht rated at 6 watts the Taboo often likes a preamp. Steve suggested the SE34 without one. Does this say that the SE34 has more oomph with the same six watts?

IP Logged
MikeW
Ex Member

Re: Which Has More Headroom?
Reply #1 - 03/09/07 at 21:16:19

Probably more headroom with the Se34i unless you put a preamp in the mix. The Taboo does not come to full power until it has at least a 2.5v source. Give Steve a call at Decware or shoot him an email. Smiley

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/09/07 at 22:31:31

craig wrote on 03/09/07 at 10:14:35:
Does this say that the SE34 has more oomph with the same six watts?

No, it just says the Taboo has lower gain than the SE34i.  With the right amount of gain both amps will put out the same amount of power, the only difference is that the SE34i gets you there sooner if you want to think of it that way, you need less gain before the amp.  Power supply differences could affect the "oomph" factor I suppose, but both should have beefy PS's so I don't think there would be much difference.  I would think the sonic difference between the EL34 and EL84 output tubes would be a far more significant factor in considering these two than any difference in output.

Dave

IP Logged
chrisby
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/22/07 at 19:50:08

selmerdave wrote on 03/09/07 at 22:31:31:
No, it just says the Taboo has lower gain than the SE34i.  With the right amount of gain both amps will put out the same amount of power, the only difference is that the SE34i gets you there sooner if you want to think of it that way, you need less gain before the amp.  Power supply differences could affect the "oomph" factor I suppose, but both should have beefy PS's so I don't think there would be much difference.  I would think the sonic difference between the EL34 and EL84 output tubes would be a far more significant factor in considering these two than any difference in output.

Dave

While both designs share a common difference from the earlier SE84C/S by virtue of the choke filtering,  the integrated has dual mono power supplies vs the Taboo's common supply.  Also significant would be the Taboo's pentode configuration and feedback topology vs the SE34i's triode, and any flavoring of the mix by rolling types or brands of input and power tubes.

Steve or other owners of both could comment on ultimate non-clipping "headroom" vs dynamics, but an initial intuition would be that while the Taboo could well be nimbler , even sub first watt where neither power supply should be overtaxed, the integrated would attain a greater sense of weight and image density.

not so easy, this giving it up thing ...
  IP Logged
Brad
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/25/07 at 08:26:42

Craig, if you're worried about headroom/oomph maybe it would help for us to know the details of your listening room and speakers you are using or thinking about getting?  Then we can give you an educated opinion.

cheers, -Brad-

WWW   IP Logged
Craig
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/25/07 at 12:06:10

Brad wrote on 03/25/07 at 08:26:42:
Craig, if you're worried about headroom/oomph maybe it would help for us to know the details of your listening room and speakers you are using or thinking about getting?  Then we can give you an educated opinion.

cheers, -Brad-

Brad,
       I am using HDT's and my new SE34I.2 should be arriving any time. My room is a typical garden apartment 12X20 living room with only one true corner. In the meantime I am using an Almarro A205MKII with 4.8 watts of EL84 with negative feedback. Much like the Taboo. This is the reason for my comparison. I am wondering if the SE34 will sound bigger.

I am so taken with the HDT's that I am not going to buy any more gear but am going to sink my money into treating the room. These speakers deserve it. I am going to guess that the room is the single largest factor when you hear people with great gear complain about poor sound. Don't get me wrong, the sound in my room is great. It's just that I am now wondering where it can be taken with these wonderfull speakers and finally a triode. I know nothing about room treatment and will be starting from sratch. I guess I'll take it to the room treatment forum next. I'll bet Steve scratches his head at the lack of traffic in that forum. It seems to be so important.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print