Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 04:30:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
one and a half deathbox's (Read 12771 times)
iowadave
Ex Member

one and a half deathbox's
03/08/07 at 14:36:22

WOW!  What can I say that already hasnt been said!?  I first built a DB10 to scale with a jl8w3 powered off an rear channel on my receiver (external decoder and about 50watts).  Every day i watch a movie or turn on the music i have to remind myself this is only an 8" woofer.  Very impressed, and I consider myself a basshead.  Knowing I have no where to go but bigger i am grinning ear to ear.  Currently building another deathbox for a 12" audiomobile MASS.  So far so good.  I should be able to finish it up tonight.  Had some troubles with the jigsaw or it would have been done yesterday.  If this puts out output like the 8" i cant wait to see what a SO can take me to.  

The slide

The lid and the slide with a MASS basket set in place on the right.  

IP Logged
iowadave
Ex Member

Re: one and a half deathbox's
Reply #1 - 03/08/07 at 18:45:51

Here is the JL 8" DB10

It's not pretty, or adjustable anymore, but it sounds good and I learned a huge lesson.  When you build your shell, build it around the slide.  

compared to the board i am using for the DB12 and the lessons learned I am REALLY excited about finishing the 12 up.  

IP Logged
Gexter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/09/07 at 05:59:02

I find this rather funny. I am building a 10 DB and am going to try out a 8"DVC in it before I slide a 10 in. sounds like I should consider leaving the 8" in.
The other odd thing is this box is for my HT and my receiver is going to drive it. the receiver is designed to handle a 3 Ohm load and I have driven it hard with the sub at + 10 at 3 Ohms. 200 Watts max peak
So I was wondering how loud the 8" DB would be with my Receiver. Maybe a good match after all.

Because it will be a 1.8 Ohm load I did not want to drive it very hard and this post says I may not have too. So a single 10 at a 4 Ohm load or a single DVC 8" at a 1.8 load
My first 8 DB was a guess before I bought the plans and it was really bad. This tells me along with Adrians 8" db build that I should do it again with the plans and a better build.

Thanks.

You could post the build over to the DB thread and the Reviews of the end product here.

IP Logged
iowadave
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/09/07 at 14:10:46

What sub do you have?  a 1.8 load on a DVC sub???  and a 3ohm stable receiver, was it from an all-n-one ht box?  Your numbers are way different than my car or home both.  But if those numbers are correct, i would rather push the 10" safly than try to go beyond the stablilty levels of the amp with the 8".  You will also gain cone area, more than likly resulting in more output at low freq levels.  For my little 8", 50watts does go a long way, 200+ would be sweet to see.  

The plans help for sure.  After you buy them, measure out what you built and if your measuerments are completely wrong i would rebuild.  

I finished the DB12 last night!  took some pictures to post here and when i pluged my card into the all-n-one reader is says the card is empty.  Got to love a free camera.  I will have to retake the pics over lunch.  No sub installed yet, got to do some searching about how you mount your terminals.

IP Logged
iowadave
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/09/07 at 18:52:13

IP Logged
Gexter
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/10/07 at 00:10:42

iowadave wrote on 03/09/07 at 14:10:46:
What sub do you have?  a 1.8 load on a DVC sub???  and a 3ohm stable receiver, was it from an all-n-one ht box?  Your numbers are way different than my car or home both.  But if those numbers are correct, i would rather push the 10" safly than try to go beyond the stablilty levels of the amp with the 8".  You will also gain cone area, more than likly resulting in more output at low freq levels.  For my little 8", 50watts does go a long way, 200+ would be sweet to see.  

The plans help for sure.  After you buy them, measure out what you built and if your measuerments are completely wrong i would rebuild.  

I finished the DB12 last night!  took some pictures to post here and when i pluged my card into the all-n-one reader is says the card is empty.  Got to love a free camera.  I will have to retake the pics over lunch.  No sub installed yet, got to do some searching about how you mount your terminals.  

Yep a all in one RCA the best of the pile but still an RCA. The driver is scrap from somewhere but each coil is a little less than 4 in parallel its 1.8.
It would be a shame to blow out my wifes HT and bad for a marriage as well. Ya its my wifes it was given to her not me  along with a 37 tube impressive in its day Cry
This is my  4th DB  three with the plans 4 without. last DB built HT 12" with a pedestal base. All three were MDF this one is 3/4 ply to escape MDF.

Gexter

IP Logged
bayrat
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/10/07 at 02:23:10

I have a DB10 hooked up to my HT. It was one of them thar HT in a box. The sub unit has all of the electronics built into it. Its a JVC. After taking out the original sub and running a wire outside the box to my DB10. Jeez, you wouldnt believe it was the same amp driving the sub. It had a wimpy little 8" sub for factory use. The DB10 running from the same amp is.....well....has more bass than most separate powered subs I have heard....lets just say...there is not a picture frame in the house that hasnt felt the wrath of the DB. All of this from a small box sitting in the corner of my media room.

IP Logged
iowadave
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/10/07 at 17:05:48

G, I think you have the right idea, it's better to be underpowered than break the wife's gear.  any unpleasent trade offs to using plywood?  And you are using it to save weight i assume.  got pics of the pedestal base?  

bayrat, I almost did the exact same thing, right down to the wiring.  But instead of using the powered 8" JVC that was sitting in my living room I got lucky and remembered I had the JL in the garage.  I almost want to pull the JL out just to compare the JVC in the DB now however.  

Got the 12" running last night, only giving it 50 watts, and I was loving the new vibarations! Still need to spend some time moving it around, testing it here and there.  I did get some good news on the phone too, had a dude call me about some 15"s he wants to get rid of.  Two brand new fosgate punch's and two like new punch's for two bills.  Yes please!  Say bye to the 12" in the living room.

IP Logged
Gexter
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/10/07 at 23:57:16

not much of a pic.
in too much of a hurry today, amazed I could do it all.
at the base it has a 1/2 inch routered lip and was going to be stepped another 1/2 inch.
It presently sits in the back of a car for traction along with a bag of water softening salt. Its glass smooth all around and was a couple hours away from veener and finish before it got yanked out of project status to winter traction device.

IMG_2170.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print