Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 21:09:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
12" WO Plans (confusion) (Read 13695 times)
jimt
Ex Member

12" WO Plans (confusion)
02/25/07 at 19:28:34

Ok, i want to build a WO for my suburban (hopefully).   I'm very inexperienced with carpentry, so i'm going to need all the help i can get.

I was looking to get a couple 12"s (or maybe even 15"s??) in this box, because in a suburban, i have the space + more.

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=1545e1e2abcb023/s...

These are the 12"s  i'm looking to use for it.

Please help!

IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Re: 12" WO Plans (confusion)
Reply #1 - 02/25/07 at 20:40:08

good choice. i was about to reccomend some fi subs.

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #2 - 02/25/07 at 22:17:00

Perhaps 2 WOs ?
4 10s would be pretty strong methinks?

Of course 2 12's isn't a bad idea either lol

What sort of help you looking for? I haven't heard the Fi subs, but I am constantly hearing good things about them.
The RE are getting pretty good reviews right now too. Hmmmmmm

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
jimt
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/25/07 at 23:23:12

I chose the FI subs because everyone has nothing but good things to say about them, and i personally heard a 10" in a pickup that blew me away. And they're so cheap, you cant lose.

I'm having trouble with the plans, i dont know how to scale this thing up.

Not to mention the standard plans already confuse me alot.  Like i said, i'm no carpenter.

IP Logged
jimt
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/25/07 at 23:42:28

Also:    would you guys say i could build this in my driveway with a circular saw and some saw horses (and a jig to cut out the baffle plates?)    That's pretty much all i have.

IP Logged
G
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/26/07 at 04:52:54

Yep!
Use a straight edge for your saw guide so your cuts are even. Take your time and measure twice.
I was drawing out a full size plan and measured my angles and lengths so I would make correct cuts and angles on the wood.
Spend time on doing the construction well, do not hurry. the least amount of mistakes means that you will be proud of your work and less things to fix if you do screw up.  
Read the plans and make sure they are clear in your head.
G

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/26/07 at 16:13:54

use 10" subs, building a 12 inch version is chanceing a negative outcome.

good 10 inch subs in a correctly  built wo with a strong amp will fill a burban with so much bass you wont be able to sit in it comfortably at full volume. you dont need 12s.

where in the world are you? there are many box builders / ca audio nuts, around that for the price of a beer and a pizza will help you build it.

to wo is NOT  a good box for an in-experienced  carpenter to try,  1 leak or basic mistake and it will soiund like a wet blanket flapping in the wind.

IP Logged
jimt
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/26/07 at 16:48:06

60,  I'm in MA.

I'm not only looking to fill the Suburban, but also get plenty of volume outside the vehicle too.

IP Logged
Braggi
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/26/07 at 17:25:59

I've been searching for 12" subs to go in a WO for the last couple of years and I found nothing that makes more sense than the recommended Decware 10" subs. For the price of a pair of the 12s you're considering you can buy four of Steve's which are custom made to work in the WO. You can wire two WOs in parallel and run them with the same amp you'd need to drive a single pair of the 12s and get higher SPLs since Steve's drivers are more efficient. You could even use a smaller amp with a single WO and still get similar or more SPL. Put two together and it will really stomp.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/mainmenu.htm

Check out the efficiency and do the math.

Best of luck whichever way you choose to go. I'm sure you'll like the WO.

IP Logged
jimt
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/26/07 at 18:34:33

Braggi,

Thanks for shedding light on the situation, yes for about the same price, i could definitely buy 4 of the Decware 10"s and build 2 WO's and stack them.

Does anyone here live in the MA area and would be willing to help me build a couple of these beasts?    My local car audio shop quoted me a price way out of my price range, and that was for just one.  I actually think the design scared him off, he's used to making standard sealed and ported boxes.

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #10 - 02/27/07 at 11:06:36

Hi Braggi,
Out of curiosity, how much were they asking? I never charged anyone for this box. I have built lots of them, but since it was Steve's design, I made my money on the equipment or the rest of the install. I always thought the box should run in the $150 to $200 range though. At least that seemed fair to me.

If I was up that way, I would come help you out in a heartbeat. cost of a pizza and beer goes a long way when I get to listen to it in the end lol.

If you are patient with it, this isn't a hard box to build though. Just be sure to take the time to get all the angles well fit and glued.

I agree with the idea of 4 10s. I especially like the idea of 4 of Steve's 10s in the Burb. The efficiency alone would mean some big sound and would require less juice. Trying to scale this thing always seems to throw clocks in the monkey wrench. It can be done, no doubt, but if you don't mind stacking, then 2 boxes with 4 woofers and using the same amp would be far more effective.

Have fun with this one man!

Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/27/07 at 13:57:32

take your time on the build. if you can cheat and have the mdf depot cut you the bigger pieces, all there's left is for you to cut the angles. i did all the angles on my first wo with a wood rasp and a sander.
good luck  ;)

IP Logged
djman37
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/28/07 at 01:59:41

JimT wrote on 02/25/07 at 23:23:12:
I chose the FI subs because everyone has nothing but good things to say about them, and i personally heard a 10" in a pickup that blew me away. And they're so cheap, you cant lose.

I'm having trouble with the plans, i dont know how to scale this thing up.

Not to mention the standard plans already confuse me alot.  Like i said, i'm no carpenter.

I had 12 RE SE's in my WO and it was a wonderful combo.  I just scaled up two inches.  As far as Fi goes, I wouldn't buy a 12"BTL, get a Q.  There's not much talk on ca.com, but I think there is a problem with the 12BTL, I've seen the problem first-hand and was not impressed with what I saw.

If you've got the room, do 2 10" WO's Smiley

IP Logged
jimt
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/28/07 at 04:23:52

djman37 wrote on 02/28/07 at 01:59:41:
If you've got the room, do 2 10" WO's Smiley

That's totally the plan right now,  if i can gather the resources for the build...    2 identical 10" WO's to the Decware specs, with the Decware woofers.   Stacked and strapped in the back of my Suburban.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print