03/29/24 at 13:50:55 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HDT's on Audiogon (Read 12830 times)
Craig
Ex Member

HDT's on Audiogon
02/23/07 at 22:48:28

No affiliation, just a heads up. In fact Zygi is building mine as we speak, and if he’s reading this its time to get back to work. When asked for a finish I told Steve to surprise me. I wonder what I’ll get?

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: HDT's on Audiogon
Reply #1 - 02/23/07 at 23:43:15

Craig,

If I'm reading this, it means my work day is over...doesn't it???  I just put the last coat of finish on your HDT's, I could go back out and take a chance on getting dust in the finish Roll Eyes

That particular pair of HDT's were at one time my personal speakers, I believe they have more miles on them than I do, And I don't mean playing time either. I can tell, they're are the only pair ever built in curly maple.

As for your speakers.....they look nice Lips Sealed

BobZ

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/24/07 at 01:48:40

Ziggy,

I wanted to build a stand for my electronics. I was thinking of finishing the shelves like you finished the top dispersion plate on my HDT's. How exactly did you get it so flawless. I mean besides skill, what did you use? Is it not a piece of MDF?

Corey

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #3 - 02/24/07 at 02:48:18

Cory,

The best way we've found, to date....we finial sand the MDF with 220, especially around the edges, we then apply two coats shellac sanding between coats, then a coat of black lacquer, followed by two tops coats of pre-cat lacquer. We sand that and apply another coat of black then one last top coat of pre-cat lacquer.  Its best if you can let the pre-cat dry for at least a day between coats, if we have more time, we'll let it set for a couple of days. i found over the years as the previous coat of lacquer off gas, they will burn though the last coat making them look dry, or not enough finish has been applied.

Another thing...use as little lacquer thinner as you can get buy with for your gun, the more thinner the quicker the top will skin over, trapping the gases below the surface and actually take longer to gas out, burning the sheen off.  

We build the tops first,
Bob

IP Logged
Brad
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/24/07 at 06:31:12

Those HDT's were mine.. after Zygi and at least one other person.  
Yes I agree, they sure get around!

I just sold them not too long ago to the guy who is now selling them.
I have no idea why he's selling them.  I just didn't have room or a need for 3 different
pairs of speakers Wink  

I think maybe he didn't have an appropriate equipment mated to them... I forget what he said he was using.

These particular HDT's have Deflex panels that I installed on the
cabinet interior (apex) just behind the drivers.  And I was the one
who changed them over to DFR8 drivers and converted them to alternate
tuning. It looks like he installed some kind of feet on the bases. Nice looking.

I will attest, these are very good sounding speakers.

WWW   IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #5 - 02/24/07 at 14:12:11

Brad,

I knew they were yours, but I wasn't going to mention it. I figured that was your business, I was going to PM you to ask if you had installed the feet, from the picture i couldn't see how they attached, but I did like it as well. Looks pretty sweet.

BobZ

IP Logged
Brad
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/24/07 at 23:50:44

Z, it might help the next owner to know what kind of black paint was used on it... to repaint that top plate I damaged it a little when I used some solvent to clean off some tape residue.  I was experimenting with a ribbon tweeter placement by duct taping it to the cabinet, then mucked it up when I cleaned off the tape residue... doh!  Other than that these speakers are in great shape.

WWW   IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #7 - 02/25/07 at 00:19:08

Brad,

Its black lacquer top coated with clear, a discrption up above in my response to Cory.......Brad, buy yourself some Goo-Gone, it would take off the goo without taking off the paint. Sad

BobZ

IP Logged
Brad
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/23/07 at 19:15:41

He's dropped the price to $850 now!

WWW   IP Logged
rmt
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 03/24/07 at 04:57:54

Brad wrote on 02/24/07 at 06:31:12:
 And I was the one
who changed them over to DFR8 drivers and converted them to alternate
tuning. It looks like he installed some kind of feet on the bases. Nice looking.

I will attest, these are very good sounding speakers.

I have DFR-8s in my Nibbelins and yes they do sound very good. If I hadn't just built my Nibbelins I would jump on those HDTs.  Someone is going to get a great deal.

Select, CSP2 upgrade, Dec 685, DSRii, Nibbelin NFX w/DFR-8s, SE34.I, Zbox
  IP Logged
erimille

Reply #10 - 03/27/07 at 03:10:04

Anyone know if these HDTs can driven by a Zen Select + CSP?

--e

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #11 - 03/27/07 at 03:26:08

E,

Yes they can drive them nicely.....and the price is right.

BZ

IP Logged
DAS
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/30/07 at 05:13:48

Brad, Zigi,  I might buy these speakers. This is a tough decison for me! Can you guys shed any light, as to buying these or ordering new from decware? Besides the fact that they are half the price of new. Are the HDT II any better? I will be ordering a new SE34I.2 to power these. I would be able to afford the speakers and amp if I get the ones on audiogon, but if you think I would be better off getting new HDT's or going for the HDT II's, the amp will have to wait. I want this to be my ultimate system and not have to wonder if I should have gotten new or went with HDT II's.
The a-gon HDT's are on the west coast and I'm on the east coast, I worry about shipping damage also.
This will be my first SET and high eff. speaker system. I can blame this on everyone on this forum and my recient purchase of DM944's.
Any feed back will be carefuly considered.
Doug Smiley

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #13 - 03/30/07 at 13:57:23

Doug,

I'm not trying to steer you in either direction... shipping would worry me, if you buy from Decware and they do get damaged, you won't have to worry about them taking care of it, at least I will, we always do what's right, if you know what I mean.  I know for a fact that the speakers Brad had were my personal HDT's, Brad upgraded the DFR-8 drivers and he believed them to be correct before he bought them, but someone else may have done something to them prior to Brad, and Brad, I don't think could tell you nothing has changed with them after they left his hands, and I can't be for sure on that one.

As far as the HDT MKII's VS. the HDTs if you have  a small room the bass from the MK-II's might be a little much, and vise versa with the HDT's in a large room.  I found the bass in my room to be spot on, they didn't seem to interact with my room nearly as much as the other speakers do (read placement issues), I would not find myself wanting a sub with these either!

One year ago I would have told you, as well as a few other forum members might have said, if you have a small room the HDT's won't work, with the new DFR-8 driver this is not the case. Steve's been after me to try them in my room for some time, I usually just give them a test listen in my assembly area, a few weeks ago I took them into my new room and enjoyed the heck out of them, a whole weekend in fact, then as I went to get them out of the room for shipping, I sat and listened to them for another hour or two. I have five CD's I listen to every pair of speakers with, my shout test CD being  Alison Krauss, Lonely Runs Both Ways, track 15) A Living Prayer, and I couldn't get the HDT's to shout, even at 112dB at my listening chair, no shout!!!  

I haven't yet heard the SE-34I.2 with the HDT's but with the Taboo and Torri-II both sounded great to these ears, I don't know how much better the Integrated could be, but I have to trust Steve in telling me the two have synergy!!!

This is a tough call, new, used, amp, no amp, I hope it all works out for you,

Bob Z

IP Logged
DAS
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/30/07 at 16:36:14

Thanks Bob, My room is 28' long and 18' wide with 7' celing. I have D-wall diffusors on the wall behind the speakers, at both side reflection points and 1 D-wall at the wall behind me . I also have Auralex broadband diffusors at various locations with some other absorbtive materals through out my dedicated listening room.
I am trying to get in touch with Steve now.
Thanks,   Doug

IP Logged
MikeW
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 03/31/07 at 03:35:49

Doug....I have bought equipment from that seller before and the experience was very good......

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print