04/19/24 at 20:35:49 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HWK first time out (Read 10638 times)
cavediver
Ex Member

HWK first time out
02/08/07 at 22:31:17

I have been working with my HWK with a QSC amp in bridged mono which at 8 ohms gives me 800 watts. I have both Titanic Mark III 15" drivers firing up and they are in phased Series.

First of all I have never clipped this amp since 1995. Until Now.

I realized I need to double the output in order to retain a charge across the caps in the amp at this db level.

I have decided to go for the Behringer EP2500 @ $350.00

As opposed to the QSC RMX 2450 @ $600.00

The specs on these two amps are identical, even though I am more of a QSC kinda guy, I have to do the EURO thing this time for financial reasons. At this point if anyone knows of another high power amp in this price range please speak up.
The low priced Crowns don't have enough Power.

Back to the HWK, holy sheep shit bat man. I was listening to dark side of the moon track two and I stepped out into the garage on the opposite end of the house.
The garage door bracket, the attic hatch, and the glass in the pantry were all vibrating wildly. That showed me real quick why it was called the HWK. Not to mention every doorway in the entire house as well as window casements.
As my house is entirely made of cinder-block I am going to have a tough time re-securing door & window frames.

I can’t even imagine loading this thing with four drivers, or what you would push it with. As it is I am thinking of giving up on amplifiers, I’ll just buy a big ass Lincoln ARC WELDER and put a transformer and a couple of caps across the output. Then run that right into the HWK.

Well I am going to need some more time & maybe some money to dial this in but, I think with this configuration I could get some real tight response.

Can anybody give me their experience with the drivers both facing up as opposed to the drivers being clam shelled?

Thanks Again
Michael Foy

IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Re: HWK first time out
Reply #1 - 02/09/07 at 15:21:06

did you look at TAPCO j2500 ? a bit more $$ than the ep2500

IP Logged
cavediver
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/09/07 at 19:25:23

Hi Adrian,

I looked at the TAPCO and it seems to have the same specs as the QSC and the Behrenger. In your opinion which one would you recommend and why?

The QSC is almost double the price of the Behrenger.
The TAPCO is $50 more, is it worth it?

Thanks,
Michael

IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/09/07 at 20:23:51

i've read only one review online. it was done by some magazine or something...
anyway, they reviewed the j1400 pretty good.
and iirc, TAPCO is a Mackie line. and from what i know, Mackie makes good stuff.
as far as i know, the problem with Behringer is that they used crappy components in one of the amp stages. 100$ more would've made a great diffrence. i don't know if it's very important when driving subs.
phonic also makes good amps. one of my friends has a phonic max 2500. too bad he has horrible speakers and i can't give you an honest review.
the phonic dmx2501 puts out 2.4kw @ 4 ohms mono.

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #4 - 02/14/07 at 16:04:44

Check out this web site:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/clearance/navigation/power-amps?N=100001+305334+5...

They have the EP2500 for $225 refurbed. There are also other high priced amps to look at but out of my price range. Keep looking I am sure there are some good deals out there just hard to find. The Buttkicker amp does not look too bad either. Hope the info helps.

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/20/07 at 01:26:42

hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmackie. Cool

IP Logged
Bob_in_St._Louis
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/28/07 at 11:40:53

Michael, what's the status of the HWK?

Bob

IP Logged
hesster
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/02/07 at 01:13:27

This is the exact setup I am currently building.  Using the same Berhinger amp - I like it because of the flexibility of running it parallel @ 650 - 750w per 4 ohm speaker, with each channel "adjustable" from a LFE or single channel.  I also have a 3/4" plexiglass side (expensive!) with LED lights inside so I will be able to watch at those beautiful monsters pushing loads of air and wrecking the house (enclosure lay's on it's side).  I have read different ways of loading them, magnets in, or firing "up" to the large 6" port.  I am concerned if I go magnets in and out of phase that there is less than an inch between the magnets - not sure this matters.  Any experts out there know better?

IP Logged
Bob_in_St._Louis
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/02/07 at 13:20:01

Less than an inch!? Wow, those must be some heafty drivers. When I had my Daytons "magnet to magnet", I had about 4' between them.
I would think that gap would be ok.,...... On second thought vented VC's blowing hot air into each other may not be a good idea.
Are you mounting them with the baskets flange in the upper and lower chambers, or is the entire driver(s) inside the center chamber?

Bob

(Got any pics of the HWK all lit up?)

IP Logged
hesster
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/03/07 at 00:13:04

They are the Titanics, and yes sir, they are big 'uns.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print