Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 11:19:36 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
zen & vinyl: suggetions needed (Read 8243 times)
dla405j

zen & vinyl: suggetions needed
02/08/07 at 01:43:23

I have 3 systems in my house using the zen triode and use them with cd inputs to great advantage but having problems finding a good match with vinyl.  The cd playback has more punch and gain/level and more detail because I can't get enough volume/ gain with two of my turntables that have Denon mc carts (dl 110)high-output MC's.  My rega P3 has a rega elys cart which has more gain, hence more punch but I would like to use my tts with the denon carts.  I don't want to go back to mm carts because I like the sound of the denon and they sound fine with different amps with more power.  I know the solution must be a good match with my phono pre but I don't want to invest in two new & pricey preamps that may be better.  I have tried my Van Alstine super pas 4i, Music hall phono box, Pro-ject phono se, and they don't have enough gain in MM setting and I get humm when I change setting to MC (if they have it)  I have a tubed AES phono that sounds great but only does MM, I have 3 other low-fi solid state preamps that have MC settings but they generally sound like crap and I would rather not haul them out and use them with my zens.  My question is what phono settings or preamps work well with the zen triodes and turntables??  What is the magic bullet for great vinyl sound using the  zen triode???  My speakers are 4 ohm Mission Argonauts, Klipsch KG4's, and Triangle Titus 202, with Omega TS 2 as backups and my other tts are a Systemdek IIX and a linear-tracking mitsubishi.  Any suggestions would be helpful..what are good analogue vinyl set-ups with the zen????  where do I start?? Is there anything I can do without buying pricey new preamps?? thanks

IP Logged
buzz
Ex Member

Re: zen & vinyl: suggetions needed
Reply #1 - 02/08/07 at 02:12:07

The phono stage is the most critical and difficult to get right in any system. I would suggest building the entire system around your choice of phono stage. Use a well shielded stepup transformer for low output cartridges. Your grounding scheme will be difficult, and is the #1 failure point of phono stages. You may even have to 'lift' the ground from your preamp, or perhaps your amp, or even rewire grounding to cure a loop.

The zp3 is the best phono I have heard. Not the quietest, but the most musical. Great detail. If you like your current phono stick with it... make the rest work.

It sounds like you need a good stepup transformer, too much preamp gain doesn't always sound right.

IP Logged
Tube-aholic
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/07/16 at 02:44:09

I am using a VPI Scout (upgraded to Scout 2 level) with a Grado Sonata (mm) cartridge and a Magi Phenomena phono preamp and it works fantastic in my system.

Anything worth doing, is worth over doing!
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #3 - 01/16/16 at 00:11:21

I have a very low output Shinon Red into ZMC1>ZP3>Rachael>Omega's and it is the BEST phono sound I have had in my home ever in the 35+ years I have been playing with audio. The ZP3 is the most amazing phono stage around, unless you just won that Billion dollar Powerball lotto then buy some crazy stuff. The ZMC1/ZP3 is so flexible in terms of carts you can use, tough to beat (IMHO). Let us know which path you choose and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 01/16/16 at 00:16:43

The ZP3 is amazing! I love mine.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #5 - 01/16/16 at 06:34:00

Not to get all Sunday Churchy on yeah but…Amen. Just listened to some Hush, Peter G. and Yes…I cannot wait until this weekend. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print